Say Eichorst is fired

Red Five

Just now, VectorVictor said:

Why are we all not on the Trev Alberts for AD bus at this point? Is it due to bitterness over the UNO sports debacle?

I think Alberts would be a great choice as AD.  I just don't know if he wants to leave Omaha.  I am sure he's well thought of at Nebraska-Omaha, and is making a good living, while hopefully still having some of his cash from his NFL days.

Count me as a "no" vote on Trev.  I am not a fan if hiring people because their #1 qualification is they went to school at UNL.

I would prefer an AD who has experience at a school (either as an AD or a #2 man) that has a big time football (and overall athletics) program.  Jumping from UNO to UNL would be like jumping from an owner of the mom & pop grocery store in Cozad to the CEO of HyVee.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

This may come as a surprise to some but I actually think we'll do better the rest of the season than most.  Not win the rest.  But I think we win the next two.  I think we'll have enough figured out by the time we get there to have a good shot at Northwestern.  Purdue might be a shootout again.  And Riley is usually good for one win that he shouldn't get and I don't think beating Wisconsin, Minnesota or Iowa will be THAT big of a hill to climb.   Not that we win all those games.  But I wouldn't be shocked if we still get to 6 or even 7 wins.

It's not that we don't have talent to compete with any of those teams.  We just have to use it competently.  I think we'll be closer to that going forward.

But I don't know where that leaves us in regard to your question.  If we beat Wisconsin or end the season with a win over Iowa but are still basically .500 would that be enough?

Personally, barring a miracle, I'd make the change this year.  Next year is going to be tough for whoever is here.  I'd rather take my lumps breaking in a new plan that watching things die slowly for 12 more months.

I would prefer to make the change this year if we are going to make one.  I have said, the only way I can see Riley surviving after how this year started is if something pretty special came out of this mess.  A West championship would probably be on the verge of that. (however I don't see that happening).

Right now, I don't see us winning many games the rest of the way.  Reality is, it's probably somewhere between the optimism I had before the season and how I feel now.  Maybe 5 to 7 wins.

One big factor in all of this may be how recruiting is looking.  I'm very concerned about it right now after how we have looked.  But, if he somehow pulls a good year out of this mess AND, he has a really good class put together, I could see he has a bigger chance of being kept for another year.  However, if recruiting falls off.........writing's on the wall.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Red Five said:

We had Tom then.  If we are looking at another D1 AD to hire, we don't have time.  Unless we promoted internally, hired Trev or some business person (Rimington?) w/ ties to UNL, AD searches take months.

Remington, Moglia (as mentioned above), and even Krill (mentioned in another thread) and Trev I think would be good ADs.  Remington and Trev know the Huskers in and out,  Krill has great respect for the program, and Moglia has the business sense to make the right hire IMHO.

If we flat line against Rutgers or Ill - make the change immediately.  If we get blown out by Wisc, make the change.  We know what OSU will do with us at this point.  I just see no recovering coming.  The OL alone has sufficient problems alone that make a recovery to 8-4 an impossibility wt the remaining competition.   4-8, 5-7 at best.   Then whoever the AD is, get a search committee going (don't do it alone like SE and SP did) and know on doors immediately and have the money ready - lots of it.

48 minutes ago, Fru said:

Alberts would be a solid choice, not just because he's a former player. Dude is sharp, pragmatic, experienced and willing to make tough decisions that may be unpopular but are ultimately the right thing to do. 

I had an internship within UNOs athletic department (not a brag as I was literally an unpaid intern). Trev was smart,  professional and an all around good dude. One thing that bothered me though was his firing of coach Bob Herold last year. Bob was one of the most genuine and respectful coaches I've had the pleasure of knowing and on top of that was probably the best coach in UNOs department. Just my 2 cents.

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I had an internship within UNOs athletic department (not a brag as I was literally an unpaid intern). Trev was smart,  professional and an all around good dude. One thing that bothered me though was his firing of coach Bob Herold last year. Bob was one of the most genuine and respectful coaches I've had the pleasure of knowing and on top of that was probably the best coach in UNOs department. Just my 2 cents.

Bothered you how? The fact that it was done, the manner in which it was handled, the fact that you liked the guy...?

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Bothered you how? The fact that it was done, the manner in which it was handled, the fact that you liked the guy...?

He was well respected by everyone, very loyal to the university. He was fired because there was a compliant about him yelling at the players on the bus after a game. Seemed like a crappy way to treat a coach who had been there for a long time and had given the school their first two summit league titles.

2 hours ago, Fru said:

Rutgers wins by 14+ this weekend. Illinois wins by 21+ the following weekend. Eichorst is shown the door Sunday morning

New AD is hired end of November/early December. Riley gets one more season in 2018. Giving the new AD ample time to find the right coach. 

Riley gets axed after a 1-3 start. Diaco is named interim. New coach is introduced in December of next year. 

i'm guessing you go 1-7 in your predictions.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

2 of the last 3 AD's were Nebraska guys and made questionable decisions.  Probably why I'm not on the Trev Alberts bus yet.

Not saying you are wrong, but do most people have any idea what AD's are actually available, other than guys with Nebraska ties.  So, the only options will be an "outsider" which people will be critical of, or a Nebraska guy whom you would be critical of based on Pederson and Osborne.