Say Eichorst is fired

Red Five

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Thinking out loud here...

Say we lose to Rutgers/Illinois and Hank/Ronnie pull the trigger on letting Eichorst go.  Then we will appoint an interim AD and start the search for a new AD.  But the problem with that is that AD searches generally take some time.  (We lucked out last time that TO was sitting around doing nothing and could take over.  That won't happen again.)  Then if you don't have a new AD in place in a month (which would be hard), you are having a interim AD possibly firing Riley and trying to hire a replacement.

Here are some recent AD departures in the B1G and how long it took to hire a full time replacement

Michigan - Fired Brandon 10/2014, hired Manuel 1/2016

Minnesota - Resigned/Fired Teague 8/2015, hired Coyle 5/2016

Illinois - Fired Thomas 11/2015, hired Whitman 2/2016

Outlier -> Rutgers - Fired Herman and hired Hobbs 11/2015

People aren't going to like this, but if Riley leaves this year (by his choice or UNLs) it might be best for Eichorst to still be around to make the hire.  Chances are we are not going to have a new AD named by the end of November.  And if that's the case, the pool of coaches wanting to come here will be shrunk as they are going to want to know who their AD is when taking the job.

Nice try Shawn :-)

I don't know enough about the politics surrounding the hiring/firing of an AD.

Who, in actuality, has real influence and say in whether SE is fired & who his replacement is? and with that in mind; can we make a logical prediction as to whether he will actually be fired if a less than stellar season occurs; and can we predict what kind of person is brought in?

I have no clue, but i'm really interested if someone else knows.

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

He was well respected by everyone, very loyal to the university. He was fired because there was a compliant about him yelling at the players on the bus after a game. Seemed like a crappy way to treat a coach who had been there for a long time and had given the school their first two summit league titles.

I'm going to assume that this guy said some pretty bad things during this bus ride?  Otherwise getting fired for yelling at players on a bus makes me think there was maybe more going on with this coach.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I'm going to assume that this guy said some pretty bad things during this bus ride?  Otherwise getting fired for yelling at players on a bus makes me think there was maybe more going on with this coach.

http://www.omaha.com/uno/baseball/after-seasons-firing-catches-uno-baseball-coach-bob-herold-by/article_b55eec56-4783-11e6-8ad6-738281fcae8a.html

None of the players thought anything of it at the time. Herold was also fired two months after the season so the whole thing really makes no sense. Like I said I always like Trev, just this situation never sat well with me.

Just have to wait to see what the season turns up. Lose to Rutgers on Saturday for example and the new AD search will be underway immediately I would imagine.

Not sure this will be as easy as 2007 though regarding a midseason firing of the AD. The defense quit on Coz then while I don't think the D will quit on Diaco. Plus many of the offenses are pedestrian in the Big Ten West. While I don't expect the W/L record to be very good the scores could be much more competitive than 2007, making it more difficult to judge until near the end of the season.

Question: why does anyone think that Moglia has any interest at all in becoming an AD? I know he's had health issues recently that have prevented him from coaching, but what makes you think he'd want another desk job?

39 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

Just have to wait to see what the season turns up. Lose to Rutgers on Saturday for example and the new AD search will be underway immediately I would imagine.

Not sure this will be as easy as 2007 though regarding a midseason firing of the AD. The defense quit on Coz then while I don't think the D will quit on Diaco. Plus many of the offenses are pedestrian in the Big Ten West. While I don't expect the W/L record to be very good the scores could be much more competitive than 2007, making it more difficult to judge until near the end of the season.

We should and probably will beat Rutgers (although this was said about NIU) Illinois on the other hand wont be easy. Either way, I think there is enough support for changes which was unlike when Pelini was fired. I think everyone is starting to realize that even if the ship is somewhat righted my mid season we are not going anywhere with this staff. You just look at the overall resume of 30+ years of coaching and his 29 games with Nebraska and you realize this just isn't working out and it won't. Thanks to Armstrong's legs we got to 9 wins last year, but 62-3 to Ohio State and 40-10 to Iowa still happened, and Tennessee also happened.

50 minutes ago, Toe said:

Question: why does anyone think that Moglia has any interest at all in becoming an AD? I know he's had health issues recently that have prevented him from coaching, but what makes you think he'd want another desk job?

Because he has ties to Nebraska and used to mentor Pelini.  There is no other reason to think he would want to be the AD.

If you have ever set foot on the Nebraska campus it makes you 50% more desirable to be the next AD/HC in many fans eyes.

I thought Remington was supposed to be next in line after TO retired. At least that's what I think i read on this board back then.

I do know i read on here this week that Trev hated QB's and if he were hired, Frost would never take the coaching job here.

What I don't know is, what some of you have against TO.  Makes no sense to me. He brought Bo in to stop the bleeding, and he did that. He took the program as far as he was going to. .His temper finished him here.

I'll give you the coaching hire for the basketball team doesn't seem like a good hire now, but the baseball hire seems to be doing ok.

Some of you may have an axe to grind with TO, but your in a small minority....

GBR!!!

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Better off, in my opinion

i have no facts to support it.  Just a feeling

In your defense, one thing we can reasonably assume is that both Eichorst, and Riley by extension, would not have come here. It's also probable to think TO is one of the big reasons Pelini got the job.