Say Eichorst is fired

Red Five

Xmas32

1. Can UNO service the Baxter Arena debt?

2. Is UNO better off with its own arena rather than sharing with hated Creighton?

3. Are hockey crowds better at Baxter?

4. Is basketball better off at Baxter than wherever they were playing before? 

Just asking. You seem knowledgeable. 

• Plus1 1

Trev Alberts is the choice of most common opinions.  Devaney wasn't experienced in anything other than football either but was AD for some time.  Hired some decent coaches in other sports as well.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to hire the best available coach in any sport, does it?  

Frost would play for anyone as AD, as long as that AD had his back for a few years.  

1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

Trev Alberts is the choice of most common opinions.  Devaney wasn't experienced in anything other than football either but was AD for some time.  Hired some decent coaches in other sports as well.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to hire the best available coach in any sport, does it?  

Frost would play for anyone as AD, as long as that AD had his back for a few years.  

Like him or hate him, Alberts securing funds to hire Dean Blais and get UNO a frozen four appearance is extremely impressive notch on his belt.

I hope our boosters/money spenders are not as undecisive as most of us as posters are.  So far we have picked apart almost every coaching hire, AD replacement and recruit before they are even looked at.  I know its all for discussion purposes, but wow, if our backers are as wishy washy as we are, no wonder we can't hire anything worth a hoot.  Just kidding folks, love the discussions!

First things first though, we have to go one way or another in order for this to work out.  We either lose and lose a lot or we win and win a lot in order for this to work out for the best.  I personally really don't have a whim right now what to expect this weekend.  If we come out and win by 50, I am still going to be pissed that we lost to NIU.  If we win period, I am going to point fingers at the coaching staff for not having the team prepared for a team that Boston College beat a week earlier.  If we lose, well, I think that would seal the fate in a quick minute, but doesn't do this program any  good to have that happen right now either.

41 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Being an AD in my mind is about knowing who/how to hire and how to raise money. 

Speaking of raising money, anyone heard anything about how Eichorst is with that? As much as he shies away from giving interviews and such, I would suspect that he's not much for schmoozing with the boosters of substance, either.

1 minute ago, Toe said:

Speaking of raising money, anyone heard anything about how Eichorst is with that? As much as he shies away from giving interviews and such, I would suspect that he's not much for schmoozing with the boosters of substance, either.

He must be okay at at or I am sure we would have heard.

9 hours ago, Red Five said:

Count me as a "no" vote on Trev.  I am not a fan if hiring people because their #1 qualification is they went to school at UNL.

I would prefer an AD who has experience at a school (either as an AD or a #2 man) that has a big time football (and overall athletics) program.  Jumping from UNO to UNL would be like jumping from an owner of the mom & pop grocery store in Cozad to the CEO of HyVee.

Hey, some of us really enjoy the friendly service at Sonny's Super Foods.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

I hope our boosters/money spenders are not as undecisive as most of us as posters are.  So far we have picked apart almost every coaching hire, AD replacement and recruit before they are even looked at.  I know its all for discussion purposes, but wow, if our backers are as wishy washy as we are, no wonder we can't hire anything worth a hoot.  Just kidding folks, love the discussions!

Most coaches who have been picked apart have been from the perspective of, "get real, that coach would never take a job here" rather than, "nah i don't like them", which is quite different.

Coach Billionaire went back to coaching purely because he wanted to be a coach again - he enjoys the job and working with the players. He'd probably make a pretty good AD, but like I said, I haven't heard any reason to think he'd want to. Hell, we might as well be talking about him as a head coaching candidate here! Last year, his team went 10-2, including a 42-7 beatdown of Turner Gill's crew. :P

The question isn't whether he'd want to be an AD at Nebraska, it's whether he'd want to be an AD at all. We're not talking about just changing schools, we're talking about an entire career change. He made his last career change purely for fun - it's not like he needed the money. Regardless of ability, do you think he'd have fun as an AD?

Did Mike Riley publicly say he wanted to come here as HC?  Frost grew up here, played here, won here, so why wouldn't he want to coach here?  Does he need to publicly say that he wants this job in order for us to think he is a viable option?  He is a current HC of another team.  I don't know if he will publicy acknowledge "wanting the Nebraska job".

7 hours ago, unlfan said:

I understand this is a message board and flippant quips are the MO, but this is a little disingenuous. Moglia was CEO of a Fortune 1000 company in Omaha for 7 years and has already held an administrative position in Nebraska's athletic department. Would he have interest? I have no idea. However, there is much more reason than "hes stepped foot on campus" to believe he may have interest.

Why the s#!t would we hire Moglia? 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Did Mike Riley publicly say he wanted to come here as HC?

Prior to being hired? Not that I'm aware of at all.

Frost grew up here, played here, won here, so why wouldn't he want to coach here? Does he need to publicly say that he wants this job in order for us to think he is a viable option? He is a current HC of another team. I don't know if he will publicy acknowledge "wanting the Nebraska job".

He won't publicly say he wants the job, but I personally believe there's a lot of assumption going on. The discussion right now is focused around 'why NU wants him' and not 'why would Frost want NU.' I think the latter is a legitimate question to ask. He's a former player - does that put some heightened pressure on him and make him even more scrutinized if something goes wrong culturally and/or with the team? And what if he fails? It would assuredly tarnish (to some degree) a mostly positive legacy. And that's all beside the fact that there are places out there with better recruiting pools and advantages.

I'm not saying he does or doesn't feel that way. I just think it's misguided to believe his ties to the state and university are reason enough for him to want to coach here.