JASON PETER PREACHES ACCOUNTABILITY

Everything I said weeks ago, just came out of Jason Peter's mouth.  He couldn't be more spot on about the brutal state of the Husker Athletic Dep't i.e. Shawn Eichorst, how Riley's team has ZERO Accountability, that there is ZERO Leadership in the Football Program and there is no winning culture left in Lincoln.

This is a great read/listen.

1990's Husker star blasts Riley's staff & players, touts Scott Frost as next head coach
Monday, September 18, 2017 7 p.m. by John Gaskin <http://whbl.com/blogs/authors/5093/>
SIOUX FALLS  (KWSN) --- Nebraska football "has hit an all-time low" and head coach Mike Riley's days should be numbered, says former Husker All-American Jason Peter, who played for all three of Tom Osborne's national championship teams (1994-97).
While saying he is currently "all on board" with Riley and his staff, the former NFL player and Nebraska sports talk host, who previously was also extremely critical of the Bill Callahan and Bo Pelini regimes, may have hit an all-time high in scorn for the way his alma mater is operating in an interview with KWSN on Monday.
You can hear the full interview here!  <http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk-with-kwsn/5093/jason-peter-tees-off-on-depressing-riley-failures-tanner-lee-hype-diaco-scott-frost-restoring/>
"It's really a depressing time to be around this football program," Peter said two days after a 21-17 home loss to MAC school Northern Illinois.
"But at the same time, there's nothing more I want than for them to succeed. That's why I don't have the patience to sit here and say, 'oh give him another two or three years."
Peter's list of reasons Riley is 16-13 overall and 1-2 with losses to a pair of unranked teams to start his third season include: An undisciplined, player-coddling culture, his staff's lack of ability to develop players (a trait, he claims, has existed on every staff since Tom Osborne retired in 1997), and 20 years of player leadership that "sucks."
Peter also suggested that if the ship sinks, athletic director Shawn Eichorst (who "I don't know if he necessarily wants what is best for this athletic program") will go with it.
"I feel good about the next guy who is going to come in," Peter said. "I'm not ready to say. We still have coaches here. I think anyone who follows Nebraska football knows who would be in the athletic director chair and who would be the head coach."
Pressed, Peter acknowledged the possibility of former Husker All-America linebacker Trev Alberts, the current A.D. at Nebraska-Omaha, taking over and hiring Central Florida head coach Scott Frost, the quarterback who led NU to a national title in 1997.
"Scott would be the first (head coach hired) in the last 15 years that has been part of a championship team at Nebraska," Peter said, "who knows something about the mentality you have to have and the work ethic you have to have at Nebraska, what is acceptable and what's not acceptable. It's part of the culture thing. Who else knows about the championship culture?!"
You can hear the full interview here! <http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk-with-kwsn/5093/jason-peter-tees-off-on-depressing-riley-failures-tanner-lee-hype-diaco-scott-frost-restoring/>
Some highlights...
ON THE NIU LOSS AS REFLECTION OF UNDISCIPLINED CULTURE  (1:59)
"It was embarrassing. Northern Illinois's defensive linemen kicked the snot out of our offensive line. On plays where Nebraska wasn't holding or jumping offsides.
Since Mike Riley has been here (discipline) has been an issue, and it happened with Bo. That clearly comes from there not being a message of what's expected, what's accepted, what's not acceptable. Apparently, there hasn't been great enough consequences in previous games or practice.
If they jump offsides, what do they say? 'Hey, don't jump offsides again. Let's run it again?' Or do they say, 'you know what, I've about had it with you jumping offsides, so for the rest of the day, you're going to run stadium steps. How 'bout that. Or even better, the whole offense go run steps.
Where is that accountability? There just doesn't seem to be any. That's the word for this situation."
ON NOT WAITING FOR A 4TH OR 5TH YEAR FOR RILEY TO SUCCEED  (26:00)
"After year 3, it should be enough, right? Oregon is closer to their vision with their coaching staff in less than a year than what we are to ours after 3 years. And look at Purdue. And that's because these coaches are going in and laying down the law, and not caring if the players like them or not.
That is a problem here. I knew that as soon as Riley took this job. And maybe the circumstances were different, because they fired Pelini, and guys liked Pelini, and we heard all these stories about how they didn't want to play for Riley because Pelini was their guy, and some of them were going to leave and transfer. So, maybe Mike Riley was thinking, 'I gotta make these guys like me.
But what's his face (Willie Taggert) who went out to Oregon, and within a month the NCAA was knocking on his door saying, 'hey, you can't make these kids do that!' He was running the weak out of town, saying 'this is how it is. This is how it is going to be done.
The whole needing 5 to 6 years, I mean, come on, man. Come on. Win the games you're supposed to win."
ON PLAYER LEADERSHIP  (5:25)
"The leadership just sucks. They haven't had real leaders in... 20 years. A lot of it is coaching. The coaches aren't creating a culture of leaders. There was an opportunity for us to get that back when (Heisman Trophy finalist Ndamukong Suh) was here (2008-09). He needs to be more vocal. He needs to be that intimidating guy, where, not only standing there, 6'4, 300 pounds and can run like a dear, but also chew your ass out if you're slacking off in practice.
I'll speak for just myself, and Grant Wistrom my brother ('95 All-American Christian Peter): We were hard on our teammates. There were no friends on the football field... Out here, there's a certain expectation. I want you to hold me to that expectation, and I want you to hold me to that expectation, and you're going to know about it if you don't.
With today's kid, society, in general, coddles these kids, and that's why you need to be *extra* hard on them. That's why guys like (Nick) Saban are successful. He's not worried about whether or not guys like them. He's not worried if a player is going home bitching to his mom or his dad about what Coach said to me in front of everybody.
But when those guys leave that program, they will respect him. They'll respect him when they're there. But when they're millionaires and first-round draft picks, they got no problem with it.
They let these 17-and-18-year-old kids think they know everything... "
ON EICHORST    (17:48)
"I have a hard time with our athletic director starting to show his true colors. I don't know if he necessarily wants what is best for this athletic program. You look at the sports, there's nothing other than girls volleyball that has done anything. You have Darin Erstad, who won the conference in baseball. Other than that, what do you have?
He's actually made it more difficult for John Cook and the girls volleyball team.
But football, you had people booing (at the Northern Illinois game), you had people that left the game this past weekend. I don't have the patience anymore."
MORE ON SCOTT FROST  (22:58)
"There was never a player that the Blackshirts --- especially myself and Christian and the rest of the defensive line --- There was never a player that came through Nebraska that we gave the business to harder than Scott Frost.
"You will hear stories about how we treated him, and how we rubbed his face in the dirt, and it says a lot about that guy, because a lot of guys would have wanted to quit. Maybe there are times he wanted to quit. But he never did. And he never let us know.
"Then you go out and play your first couple games in Memorial Stadium and get booed? He's about as tough as quarterbacks come. If he was the (next head coach), I think it'd be a good pick."
ON WHY NEBRASKA SHOULD ALWAYS PLAY FOR BIG TEN TITLES  (21:00)
"It is not that hard to win 8 or 9 games in a season nowadays. These so-called recruiting experts say we get better recruits than everybody in our division (Big Ten West), right?
"The only real tests you have is Ohio State and Wisconsin, and Ohio State at the end. The rest of them, just because you get better players than them, you should beat them every single year, right?"
ON PRESEASON TANNER LEE HYPE (30:35)
"Man, they made him into being John Elway. (The impression was), this dude may not be around next year because he's going to the (NFL) Draft. He's going to be a first-rounder. Maybe a number one pick, right?
I'm reading the USA Today, seeing Riley acknowledging he may not be here another year. (Yelling). What?! WHAT?! HE HASN'T PLAYED A DOWN FOR YOU YET! HE HAS A 50 PERCENT COMPLETION RATE DOWN AT TULANE!
Just because a couple guys who watched him throw balls down at the Manning academy? You don't even know if they're wearing helmets. You sure as hell don't have 300-pound defensive ends coming around the corner, trying to take your head off. They don't have guys running nickel and dime that are disguising coverages and all that stuff. And you're sitting here telling everybody, 'he may not be here another year.
I mean PLEASE! You're adding fuel to that fire! You should be sending it the other way, (saying) 'pump your breaks.' And what has happened? What has happened in the first two games?! How many interceptions has he thrown? It's not all his fault. But SEVEN interceptions.
ON NEW DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR BOB DIACO & HIS 3-4 SCHEME SO FAR (33:07)
"He's kind of this Jersey guy and this emotional guy, and he gives off this high energy sort of thing, and then his defense gets out there, and there's not a lot of blitzing, kind of just playing real vanilla.
There are a couple ways you can run 3-4's now. You can do the old school, where defensive linemen are eating up blocks and you're letting those linebackers run free, defenses made for the linebackers.
OR you can step into the modern era and put on, like, the Houston Texans defense, or Kansas City Chiefs, or Steelers, or any of these teams that run 3-4's, and watch what they're doing with J.J. Watt, or Clowney, and all the great defensive linemen like the Steelers have had, and the way they're long-scooping them, and twisting them, and blitzing them, and dropping them in entire zones and doing all that stuff, right? You could do that...
OR, you just be real plain and have your guys up front just eating up blockers, letting a bunch of linebackers who haven't done a damn thing since they've been here... giving up the defense to them. Or you're hopeful that those four guys are going to be the ones making all the plays.
Whatever. That's the type of defense he runs. You can go back and watch that tape of Northern Illinois. The (players) just don't get the details of it. They don't get, like, when the safety comes and fills, where his head is supposed to be. Those sort of little things. Is it on the right side of the ball carrier or right side of the ball carrier. Nine times out of ten, they're on the wrong side... and that's because it's not being stressed enough that they know it like the back of their hand.
That's what defense is. It's not just running around. It is a controlled sort of rage. Charlie McBride used to say it is 80 percent emotion and 20 percent technique. But, it's all emotion until you screw up that technique. That was his policy. 'I want you out there running around like someone just lit your ass on fire, but you've got to do it within the defense.'
I just don't think they comprehend it. Whatever, you know, it's the first year. You'd just hope they'd be playing their technique a bit better. Their coverage has been bad. It's been real soft. Giving a bunch of space. If I'm a young guy, playing corner, just stepping out there. If you want to help me out, let me get up on the line of scrimmage and be real physical with this receiver. When there's two yards between us, I can get my arms around there. It is easier than being on an island, 15 yards from him, where every head fake that he throws, that gets tough, man. There might not be a tougher job out there on defense."
ON IF HE'D EVER COACH AT NEBRASKA
(Laughs. Sighs) "Oh... I'll come back as a team motivator, how about that? I was coaching, way back when, never in college, but out in California at a top-division school, which was probably the equivalent of doing it at a Division III school, or something similar.
I just have a lot of physical stuff, still, with my back. If Scott asked, that'd be one thing but I don't want anybody to think that if anybody thought that was the guy I wanted to come back, that would be the reason why I wanted to. He's got guys, like a lot of these guys. Guys that they trusted.
But knowing Scott, and knowing if he trusts them... I know there's a certain standard in Scott's head, so, if he has guys he feels can relay that standard, then that's good enough for me. But, I'm not necessarily looking for any sort of a job."
  • Plus1 7

JP is so spot on, Shawn Eichorst is only looking out for his own ass. The stuff about Volleyball Coach John Cook...absolutely true. He has no relationship with his most successful coach. because Coach Cook has seen through his BS for far too long. It is baffling that he won't give support to, what is now, the Huskers only truly great program, No offense to Women's Gymnastics and Bowling, but Eichorst doesn't have much of a relationship with those coaches either.

The team has ZERO Accountability. All you have to do is look at the NON-SUSPENSIONS of players with felony arrests this summer or last year's debacle with Nate Gerry and not suspending and taking away his Captain tag for not attending classes all year. 

Riley's teams are what they are. No surprises here. It was the same in Oregon St.

It's time to move on and ReturnTo Glory!

• Plus1 2

The only job I would trust Jason Peter with at Nebraska is chief pill distributor.  Just another blowhard from a by gone era.  That whole thing reeked of 'back in my day we walked up hill both ways!'

2 minutes ago, returnnutoglory95 said:

JP is so spot on, Shawn Eichorst is only looking out for his own ass. The stuff about Volleyball Coach John Cook...absolutely true. He has no relationship with his most successful coach. because Coach Cook has seen through his BS for far too long. It is baffling that he won't give support to, what is now, the Huskers only truly great program, No offense to Women's Gymnastics and Bowling, but Eichorst doesn't have much of a relationship with those coaches either.

The team has ZERO Accountability. All you have to do is look at the NON-SUSPENSIONS of players with felony arrests this summer or last year's debacle with Nate Gerry and not suspending and taking away his Captain tag for not attending classes all year. 

Riley's teams are what they are. No surprises here. It was the same in Oregon St.

It's time to move on and ReturnTo Glory!

Just like the good ol days.  Pot meet kettle.

• Plus1 4
23 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

The only job I would trust Jason Peter with at Nebraska is chief pill distributor.  Just another blowhard from a by gone era.  That whole thing reeked of 'back in my day we walked up hill both ways!'

Just like the good ol days.  Pot meet kettle.

Would you take a player like JP and the Blackshirts he played with on this team?

• Plus1 2

He's not exactly a model human being, but he said a lot of stuff I've been saying and thinking.  I'm glad somebody said it out loud.  

The leadership stuff was something I was thinking about on Saturday.  There's our QB, a team captain, having his lunch handed to him play after play and nobody seemed to care.  I'd like to see Tanner have a little Tommie Frazier in him.  He needed to grab a few facemasks and yell at those fat asses.  

The winning culture is gone.  We're just another college football team now.  

• Plus1 1

Agree with all of the less than glowing reviews of Jason Peter as a person.

Also agree with a decent amount of what he's said, but it's all said from the vantage point of a cocky, raging, a-hole bully who happened to be lucky to experience something that would have happened without him. It's not the 90's anymore dude.

• Plus1 1