Do you miss the Big 12?

Ostateman

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The bold is 100% not true, and you can ask fans of any of the lower-profile schools (Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana) about that. The Big Ten's heavy hitters like Michigan & Ohio State do not use their power to gain undue influence like Texas did/does.  The Big Ten has always been MUCH more democratic, a "rising tide floats all ships" mentality. 

You may be right that Colorado was initially a target, but I'm not sure I remember that.  What I remember is that four Big XII schools were going to the Pac-10, while Missouri's governor was basically on his knees begging to get into the Big Ten. 

The package of Big XII schools rumored to be headed to the Pac-10 included Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado & Texas A&M, but exactly which schools and how many were under negotiation. The one key in all of this was that Baylor was never considered part of the move, and that rankled the Baylor Admin, who had (have?) powerful friends in the Texas legislature.  Baylor did all the backroom wheeling & dealing they could, and had it rigged so that they went along with the Big Boys to the Pac-10 and Colorado was left out in the cold.

The Buffs, for all our history with them, are to be commended for taking decisive action. Once they discovered they were being ousted for, of all schools, Baylor(!), they immediately began separate negotiations with the Pac-10 to join by themselves. 

This likely saved Colorado from being a MWC or CUSA school, and all but confirmed that Nebraska would bolt the Big XII.  The deal between the Big XII group and the Pac-10 was held up by the liberal Left Coast schools not wanting religiously conservative Baylor, and Texas was holding firm to their desire to have their own Longhorn Network, which was already in the works as of 2010.  Negotiations were ongoing but not productive. 

Colorado changed all that with their preemptive move.  Suddenly Baylor was completely out of the picture.  The other Texas schools, who had been browbeaten into solidarity by the Texas legislature, were left without negotiating power.  Oklahoma had tied fate to Texas' stern and would go wherever they led.  Missouri was already half out the door to whomever would take them, and the Big Fish in the North - Nebraska - was suddenly on extremely tenuous ground, faced with trying to cobble together a conference out of regional schools that would have resembled something like THIS MESS, and that's when Perlman & Osborne did the best thing that's happened to Nebraska, both athletically and for the University as a whole, in the past 20 years - they said Yes to the offer floated by the Big Ten for immediate membership. 

Fifty years from now the University of Nebraska will be on solid footing, in a prestigious conference, with respectful peers and a respectable academic reputation.  This move was brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, and keeps us in company with schools with which we have far more in common than our former Texas brethren. 

Thanks for clarifying all that.  It really is hard to answer th question of "why did NU leave?" In one breath.  There was a lot of peripheral stuff going on that contributed.

It needs to be said, though, because of short-term memories and alternative facts.

21 minutes ago, jaws said:

Nebhawk never misses a chance to compare Ohio State and Michigan to Texas and Oklahoma. The comparisons are baseless but they are still made.

It's clearly something he's made up in his head and won't let go of.

When we first joined the Big Ten I went to message boards of about every Big Ten school and asked what we should expect about the conference. Any time the disparity of the Big XII was brought up, the same basic thing was said, (paraphrasing) "Ohio State & Michigan are the big dogs, but everyone has an equal say in what happens."  Heard that basic thing from every school, big or small. 

I also heard, from every school, that "Big Ten refs suck" and was warned that we'd hate them, but so far they're better than what we saw in the Big XII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4780FGuFAJA

The link could not be embedded because www.youtube.com does not allow embedding of that video.

Weird.  Whatever. It's the 2010 A&M game where we got beat 9-6 and had 19 penalties.  Nothing the Big Ten does will be worse than that.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It's clearly something he's made up in his head and won't let go of.

When we first joined the Big Ten I went to message boards of about every Big Ten school and asked what we should expect about the conference. Any time the disparity of the Big XII was brought up, the same basic thing was said, (paraphrasing) "Ohio State & Michigan are the big dogs, but everyone has an equal say in what happens."  Heard that basic thing from every school, big or small. 

I also heard, from every school, that "Big Ten refs suck" and was warned that we'd hate them, but so far they're better than what we saw in the Big XII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4780FGuFAJA

Pretty good assessment of what I have heard as well living in B1G country as we entered.

21 hours ago, Creed said:

Go read the Texasshaggy or Landtheives and you will see plenty of let's get out of this crap conference.  Nebraska will be back.  They just need the right hire.  Riley was a big head scratcher for me.  Average coach for average at best program in Oregon State.  It took Alabama decades and a string of failures to land the right coach.

Yeah, they want to get out of the Big 12 Conference so they can go to yet another conference and destroy it like it has its last two.  No thanks.  Texas made their bed now they have to stay there forever. They are like a cancer for any conference that chooses them. They sure destroyed the then Big 8.  But then, coach TO said they would but no one else in the conference would listen to him.  Texas deserves everything they are getting. Just stay away from us.

16 minutes ago, NUsince62 said:

Miss Big 12 Riverely Games

Ever Notice Lately OU, Ok St, K St, Col. More and more in the mix.... because NEB no longer in the league

In the mix for what? I will give you OU has been in the mix for championships but the others haven't won anything. OU would have been at the top with or without Nebraska being in the Big12.

A lot of people miss the 90s if they think that because Nebraska is no longer in the XII more teams have a better shot at winning...it all, the conference, not sure... but we were mid-tier by the time we left and should be thankful to get the top-tier bid we did. Sometimes it's good to be a legacy of one's former self. 

I'm curious as to how a few of your fans can continue to dispute the UT game ruling?

The replay showed that the refs made the right call. Video evidence supported that ruling, yet, a few NU fans still claim that was one of the reasons for leaving the Big 12.

We all can point the finger at UT's Deloss Dodds for destroying a once great conference. I don't hate Texas for trying to better themselves, but Dodds went too far and almost blew it all to hell.

In fact, we (OSU) were resigned to join the PAC-12 with UT, TT, OSU and ou joining Arizona and Arizona State for one division. Yet, instead of just letting the conference unplug the life support machine, some wiseguy gave the BIg 12 the defibrillator. 

The conference talked of expansion, yet passed and missed on adding teams when it could have. Now we're stuck with Big <12 and long for the days when NU, CU and Mizzou was a natural rivalry (give or take). 

But, love them or hate them, UT beat you guys fair and square.