ESPN: Can Riley Fix Nebraska?

Mavric

8 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

Bo was handed a 5 win team with 11 win talent.  Riley was handed a 9 win team with 9 win talent.

What's laughable is actually thinking Bo was leaps and bounds better on the field.  Yeah, 7 years of stockpiling wins vs scrubs will make it look better in retrospect.

So Bo increased the win total by 4 but still under-performed by 2.  Riley regressed by 4 and under-performed by 4.  So the coach who performed better was who?

Stockpiling wins against scrubs would be better than stockpiling losses against scrubs, would it not?

2 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

Well just think, when the next guy comes in he can take a 5 win team with 10 win talent and do wonders with it!  Just like Bo did!  Part of me wishes Bo were still here to see his awful recruiting efforts come to fruition so we could put this argument to rest.  Bo was on a major trend downward.  Was it lose to Purdue and NIU bad?  Honestly, maybe.  He wasn't getting it done, and so far neither is Riley.  But pretending Bo was actually doing anything worthwhile is just denial.

Bo was here long enough that he was playing with all his own talent.  Was still winning 9 games. 

Riley has so far been unable to better what Bo could do in recruiting, so the trend isn't getting better.  But it's fun to assume things would get a lot worse where there really isn't any evidence of that.

• Plus1 5

By the numbers Bo is a better football coach than Riley.  There can be no argument with that.  Riley is a better recruiter though, again by the numbers there is also no arguing with THAT.

They are both not acceptable as coaches for Nebraska when we want exceptional teams, not average or worse than average teams.

• Plus1 1
Just now, neepster said:

By the numbers Bo is a better football coach than Riley.  There can be no argument with that.  Riley is a better recruiter though, again by the numbers there is also no arguing with THAT.

They are both not acceptable as coaches for Nebraska when we want exceptional teams, not average or worse than average teams.

Actually, the numbers don't show that.  At all.

• Plus1 4

I'm sticking in MR corner for now!   Bo inherited 25times better talent.   Bo was recruiting 2 stars for his last couple yrs and they didn't even come to camp.   MR should have moved TA to a different position but had no other choices at QB.   We all know how well BO recruited QB's.  I'm sticking with MR thru the 2018 campaign.   He's hooked his wagon to the group and the least i can do it let it shake out.   One thing i can guarantee you, when MR leaves this program, it will be with his head held high and thanking people for the chance, unlike the dipstick who proceeded him!!!!!!!!! 

• Plus1 2

I'll answer the title of this thread.... Nope.

Look at the offensive, defensive, and special team philosophies of this team and honestly tell me Nebraska can be a successful football team. Riley can't change. He's only ever known one way to play football and that is a way that has consistently caused him to lose a lot of games. It will keep happening so long as he's here.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

Bo inherited 25times better talent.   Bo was recruiting 2 stars for his last couple yrs and they didn't even come to camp.   MR should have moved TA to a different position but had no other choices at QB.   We all know how well BO recruited QB's.  I'm sticking with MR thru the 2018 campaign.   He's hooked his wagon to the group and the least i can do it let it shake out.   One thing i can guarantee you, when MR leaves this program, it will be with his head held high and thanking people for the chance, unlike the dipstick who proceeded him!!!!!!!!! 

Little to none of this seems steeped in reality. 

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm sticking in MR corner for now!   Bo inherited 25times better talent.   Bo was recruiting 2 stars for his last couple yrs and they didn't even come to camp.   MR should have moved TA to a different position but had no other choices at QB.   We all know how well BO recruited QB's.  I'm sticking with MR thru the 2018 campaign.   He's hooked his wagon to the group and the least i can do it let it shake out.   One thing i can guarantee you, when MR leaves this program, it will be with his head held high and thanking people for the chance, unlike the dipstick who proceeded him!!!!!!!!! 

I'm sure having a nun as a our head coach would look great for the media and they would be respectful as well. This is football. We are here to win games bruh 

People act like Bo ate people's children. I'm not even mad he is gone, just shocked how people back Riley's inability to coach with "He's nice" 

• Plus1 7
21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So Bo increased the win total by 4 but still under-performed by 2.  Riley regressed by 4 and under-performed by 4.  So the coach who performed better was who?

Stockpiling wins against scrubs would be better than stockpiling losses against scrubs, would it not?

Bo was here long enough that he was playing with all his own talent.  Was still winning 9 games. 

Riley has so far been unable to better what Bo could do in recruiting, so the trend isn't getting better.  But it's fun to assume things would get a lot worse where there really isn't any evidence of that.

So I guess you guys were happy with the status quo?  Cool!

In my opinion, not winning your division and competing for a conference title is a failure.  But yes, let's debate which coach was more successful at being unsuccessful.  Come on

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Actually, the numbers don't show that.  At all.

For someone who does as much work in recruiting,, I'm a little taken back by how dedicated you are to an arbitraty set of numbers that rates class talent.  I'll give you, Riley hasn't signed the level of classes we expected or wanted.  But it's going to end up being light years better than Bo's.

Just now, 1995 Redux said:

So I guess you guys were happy with the status quo?  Cool!

In my opinion, not winning your division and competing for a conference title is a failure.  But yes, let's debate which coach was more successful at being unsuccessful.  Come on

I figured there would be a quick pivot from "who's better" to "well, we weren't going to get any better with Bo.

When all else fails, move the goalposts.

• Plus1 5
Just now, 1995 Redux said:

For someone who does as much wodk in recruiting,, I'm a little taken back by how dedicated you are to an arbitraty set od numbers that rates class talent.  I'll give you, Riley hasn't signed the level of classes we expected or wanted.  But it's going to end up being light years better than Bo's.

If you have a more objective way to rate the classes, please let us all know.

And calling them "arbitrary" is to be willfully ignorant of how it works.

• Plus1 3