ESPN: Can Riley Fix Nebraska?

Mavric

35 minutes ago, GSG5545 said:

Mike's lucky we don't schedule FCS teams anymore. He might ACTUALLY lose to them!

PS: Better at chewing gum: Bo. He was always kicking that gum's ass!

Not at NU, but Riley did lose to FCS Sacramento State in 2011 and FCS Eastern Washington in 2013

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1

My whole perspective is that saying the NIU loss is worse than any loss Bo ever led us to is just bias and perspective.  It's easy to say that right now and look back and not remember all the painful losses as being quite as painful.  Is Nebraska losing to Noethern Illinois at home ACTUALLY worse than Nebraska losing to Wisconsin in the 2012 title game by a score of 31-70?  I mean, I guess it can be depending on what point you are trying to make.

The facf of the matter is our last three coaches have all been painfully inadequate to what we expect and want.  Measuring failure is pointless.

1 hour ago, 1995 Redux said:

I can think off two instances considering opponent that were almost worse than last Saturday

2009 Iowa State - Bo took a humiliating loss at home with what was his best team.

That's the same as Riley's loss to NIU. Both were in that coach's second season and were upsets due to turnovers as well.

Note that the 2009 team bounced back to get to the B12 title game, give Texas everything they had, and dominated Arizona in a bowl game. So there's still hope?

I don't care as much for class rankings because that's obviously dependent on what other teams do.  It is also dependent on how many you take in each class.  That's a lot of the reason why Callahan's 2005 class got ranked so high.  There were 32 in the class so they added up to a lot of points but "only" seven of them were four-stars so it wasn't as good as a lot of people like to think it was.

The Average is the average rating from the 247 Composite rating.  Also the number I put down for four-stars in each class is if they were a composite four star.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

2009 Iowa State - Bo took a humiliating loss at home with what was his best team.

That's the same as Riley's loss to NIU. Both were in that coach's second season and were upsets due to turnovers as well.

Note that the 2009 team bounced back to get to the B12 title game, give Texas everything they had, and dominated Arizona in a bowl game. So there's still hope?

Yeah, exactly.  Neither are good, but saying one is by far worse is just steering an agenda.

Conversely, what is better?  Our 2015 win over top ranked MSU or our 2011 win over top ranked MSU?  Our comeback ein against Ohio State in 2011 or our comback win against Oregon in 2016?

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't care as much for class rankings because that's obviously dependent on what other teams do.  It is also dependent on how many you take in each class.  That's a lot of the reason why Callahan's 2005 class got ranked so high.  There were 32 in the class so they added up to a lot of points but "only" seven of them were four-stars so it wasn't as good as a lot of people like to think it was.

The Average is the average rating from the 247 Composite rating.  Also the number I put down for four-stars in each class is if they were a composite four star.  

Ok those are some good points.  I guess it comes down to whether you consider the 0.01 delta between Pelini's average and Riley's to be significant then.  At least so far Riley has been very consistent in class average, but Pelini had 2 years that were better than  any of Riley's so far.

Arguing Bo vs. Riley is futile.

Riley, imho, has  not been all that good in recruiting. Sure, the numbers may look good; but it's been a lot of WR and QB.... VERY little O-line talent he's brought into Lincoln; which has been the BIGGEST issue we've had the past couple seasons. Can't run ANY offense if you can't block. Thus, all that impact recruiting Riley is making goes to waste.

That's the biggest issue I have with Riley, and THAT'S the reason why I don't believe he can right the ship.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, unlfan said:

No steering of agenda.

9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 9-4, 10-4, 9-4, 9-3    vs.      6-7, 9-4, 1-2

just simple facts.

We are all aware of Bo's record.  It was 2 songs on shuffle for 7 seasons.  Are the numbers better?  Absolutely.  Are we better off now?  Debatable.  Will we be better off?  Yet to be determined.

And yes, they are "simple facts" because actually viewing them from a bigger picture would show they aren't as glorious as you want them to be.

7 minutes ago, Red_Payne said:

Arguing Bo vs. Riley is futile.

Riley, imho, has  not been all that good in recruiting. Sure, the numbers may look good; but it's been a lot of WR and QB.... VERY little O-line talent he's brought into Lincoln; which has been the BIGGEST issue we've had the past couple seasons. Can't run ANY offense if you can't block. Thus, all that impact recruiting Riley is making goes to waste.

That's the biggest issue I have with Riley, and THAT'S the reason why I don't believe he can right the ship.

I hate this debate and I regret getting into it.  But the OP brought the discussion up.

9 minutes ago, neepster said:

Ok those are some good points.  I guess it comes down to whether you consider the 0.01 delta between Pelini's average and Riley's to be significant then.  At least so far Riley has been very consistent in class average, but Pelini had 2 years that were better than  any of Riley's so far.

I don't think it's significant.  Your original statement is that Riley was a better recruiter and the numbers show there is no arguing that.  I don't think that is the case.  I think the recruiting we've seen from Riley so far is basically average for what Pelini did.  Pelini had two classes that were clearly better but he also had classes that were worse.  Overall, about the same.  And definitely not the huge boost in recruiting that many expected and some even claim has happened.

Four months ago I really thought that the 2018 class would be the class that got Riley in front of any of Pelini's classes.  I'm far less confident in that now.

43 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

So the last 3 years of Bo had more 4 stars then Riley's first 3 years.  

I wouldn't consider that Riley has been recruiting for 3 years... I'd say instead that Riley had more 4 stars in his first 2 years (10) than Pelini did in his last 2 (6).  And that is significant I think.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Mavric said:

I don't think it's significant.  Your original statement is that Riley was a better recruiter and the numbers show there is no arguing that.  I don't think that is the case.  I think the recruiting we've seen from Riley so far is basically average for what Pelini did.  Pelini had two classes that were clearly better but he also had classes that were worse.  Overall, about the same.  And definitely not the huge boost in recruiting that many expected and some even claim has happened.

Four months ago I really thought that the 2018 class would be the class that got Riley in front of any of Pelini's classes.  I'm far less confident in that now.

Ok, I agree with you and I was wrong in my original comment.  They are either very close in performance or Pelini might even be a bit better.

1 minute ago, neepster said:

I wouldn't consider that Riley has been recruiting for 3 years... I'd say instead that Riley had more 4 stars in his first 2 years (10) than Pelini did in his last 2 (6).  And that is significant I think.

Considering Pelini was fired two months before NSD, I don't think you can count the 2015 class fully toward him.  Or toward Riley.  Those classes are always down for obvious reasons.  Just like the 2008 class.