ESPN: Can Riley Fix Nebraska?

Mavric

Why does every single one of these threads turn into a Bo vs. Riley.  You know its completely possible both crowds are right- Bo simply needed to go for both on the field performance, on the field/off the field performance (sideline tirades and looking like a buffoon) and off the field performance (excuses, recordings, etc.).  Just because Riley is sucking wind right and trending in the direction he needs to kick rocks, doesnt all of a sudden make Bo some saint that would have taken us to the promise land.

Also, before I get called out- i was ecstatic to see the Bo tenure end and optimistically pissed off when we hired Riley which has now transitioned to this guy can get the hell out of town after another showing like this past weekend.

Can't we all be friends?

20 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I'm grabbing at straws trying to be positive... and then I just watched a replay of the NIU game.  Our O-line blocking was maybe the worst ever put on a field at Nebraska.  To have hope for the remainder of the season would mean to hope for a Suh like performance out of our D-line.  I was really down on Lee but after re-watching the game, I can't hardly blame the guy.  He got hit almost every play... very few QBs could survive behind that o-line.  

All of that said... The product on the field that Riley is producing is considerable worse than what the standard is here and worse than any I have seen at Nebraska.  I absolutely loathed Pelini but I can say I never saw us look this soft under him.  

To answer the question- not a chance we turn this sinking ship around unless something miraculous happens with the o-line.    

I hope Riley realizes, for his own future here, he needs to cut ties with a few more crappy oregon state holdovers on the staff... Cav being first in line.  As I mentioned in the NIU post, the strength of that defense was the secondary, we held a near 50 lb average advantage on the line, that had run the ball and, at the very minimum, serviceable pass protection written all over it yet we see that crap on display.

Just now, unlfan said:

Nothing to do with nastiness. But, I won't take any poster's opinion seriously if they can't recall one of the most embarrassing losses in program history that occurred less than 2 years ago. It shows a lack of knowledge of anything to do with the program.

LOL.  Get over yourself 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, unlfan said:

Nothing to do with nastiness. But, I won't take any poster's opinion seriously if they can't recall one of the most embarrassing losses in program history that occurred less than 2 years ago. It shows a lack of knowledge of anything to do with the program.

Dude... a little humility and grace would serve you well.

• Plus1 4
15 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Couldn't possibly disagree more.

And, even if your logic holds true, where does Riley loss to Ohio State fall on that spectrum? By definition, must be the worst.

I would like to introduce you to a game called Ohio State vs Nebraska 2012

Not good enough?  How about Wisconsin 2011 or Michigan 2011?  No?  How about Wisconsin 2014?

3 minutes ago, unlfan said:

If I said it was fantastic we beat Miami in the 2002 rose bowl would anybody take me seriously? No. An understanding of the most rudimentary facts surrounding the program is required for some credibility.

I'm not out to argue with you about it. KRC either forgot or didn't realize something. Now he does. Let's move on.

4 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Dude, that is your original argument for why the NIU loss is better than the Wisconsin loss.

I am using your own logic and showing that Riley STILL has a worse loss than BO even if you use that logic.

No, my original argument was that the NIU loss was far worse than anything Bo ever did on the field.  That's what the OP states, and I laugh at that.  Hell it's not even Rileys worst loss as our coach.

I can stomach a loss by 1-10 points, anything more than that is pretty didappointing.  Getting blown out over and over, losing to inferior teams again and again is unacceptable.  Both Bo and Riley did and are doing JUST THAT.  You're the one trying to justify Bo's shortcomings.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, unlfan said:

^

You think the NIU loss was worse?

I think losing to a MAC team at home is pretty bad and it should definitely put him on the hot seat.  I think the Wisconsin loss is worse seeing as a supposed defensive guru gave up 70 points to a team he had already beaten via comeback at home the same damn year.

The 59 point loss to Ohio State is completely unacceptable, but it probably wouldn't have been as bad had Armstrong not been knocked out of the game.  Martinez played the whole 2012 title game IIRC.