ESPN: Can Riley Fix Nebraska?

Mavric

With what I have been watching this season, no Riley can't  fix this mess.  The talent level dropped immensely with Bo over the years.  Right now our talent is not where it should be and I haven't seen much on the field that would change that opinion at this point.  We are playing a transfer at QB, while we have 2 solid recruits waiting in line?  Sorry in year three, we should be seeing some sort of talent improvement at all positions.  I don't care about wins and losses(unless you lose to NIU) but if we would have went to Oregon and actually competed for the whole game, showed signs of competing talent wise, that loss is not a bad one.  Instead, Oregon called off the dogs, and we still couldn't get out of our own way and win the game. 

My major factor of "getting better" is seeing improvement on the field.  Same stupid penalties, same lack of running game, and stupid pass play calls.  Talent is suspect.  Bo let it dip pretty darn low, and still won a few more games per year.  Our level isn't at Big 10 level.  I don't know if its at MAC levels right now.

I am not going to get into this argument.  I have great respect for Riley, the other one absolutely none.

Some things to consider.  A lot of starters were out for Nebraska.   At least three.  Most say the FCS schools have talent comparable to the starting eleven of most FBS schools.  Really don't think that this exactly correct, but close I would guess.

This NIU program has a very good record against Big 10 teams, I think I heard it is 5-1 with the loss to Ohio State by 7 points two years ago.  We weren't playing a weak team.

I am not happy about where we are today.  I support our head coach, and will continue to until he isn't.   These types of threads do a lot more damage than good.  Not helping the kids on the team nor the kids considering coming to Nebraska.

I will admit we got beat by better coaching effort last week.  I am hoping we see improvement this week against Rutgers. 

• Plus1 1

I know we have starters out, but so did NIU. Their starting qb was out, and maybe a couple of others.

But shouldn't we at least have some backs ups, that are ready to step up by now. Doesn't seem that the back ups are getting any better, even though some of them have been here 2/3yrs.

We know cav's doesn't bring in fresh players during the game, but he alsodoesn't seem to be able to develop them or doesn't have much faith in them.

GBR!!!

48 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I think Riley has now lost 6 out of the last 9 games so im going to say no he will not fix Nebraska. When was the last time a Nebraska football coach. Lost 6 of 9? Has it ever happened?

No, but then again, I don't remember the last time a Nebraska coach had to go through this significant of an offensive/defensive transition after a couple years as a head coach. Not excusing the result, but, it's a very odd circumstance.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

No, but then again, I don't remember the last time a Nebraska coach had to go through this significant of an offensive/defensive transition after a couple years as a head coach. Not excusing the result, but, it's a very odd circumstance.

Maybe he should have adapted his schemes around the talent he had. 6 out of 9 games is ridiculous. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Maybe he should have adapted his schemes around the talent he had. 6 out of 9 games is ridiculous. 

Well, to debatable degrees, they tried to do that the last two years. To be clear, I'm not making excuses for them because the loss total is unacceptable. Just adding some more context.

This team so far looks worse than his first season and that's with some players (particularly several of the offensive linemen) having been in the system for three years. There's no excuse to be playing this bad of football even with some of the scheme changes. Yet here we are, in the thralls of yet another season where we're having to talk about pairing back the playbook.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, unlfan said:

Bingo.

Riley is a cancer that must be removed.

That depends on what is important to you.  If all you care about is winning,  then I would agree.  Like it or not, Bo was a total embarrassment to this program.  Whenever I wore Nebraska gear here in Oregon, I would get asked if I was from Nebraska or people would tell me about their families in Nebraska.  When Bo was coach, all I would hear was what a freak Bo was.  It was funny, too, because people would approach me cautiously like I was crazy like Bo.  

1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

That depends on what is important to you.  If all you care about is winning,  then I would agree.  Like it or not, Bo was a total embarrassment to this program.  Whenever I wore Nebraska gear here in Oregon, I would get asked if I was from Nebraska or people would tell me about their families in Nebraska.  When Bo was coach, all I would hear was what a freak Bo was.  It was funny, too, because people would approach me cautiously like I was crazy like Bo.  

How do they approach you now? Probably don't if you're like me. I'm too embarrassed to wear my nebraska gear much any more. If I do and someone approaches me to talk about nebraska football I just say, "more of a volleyball fan". 

• Plus1 1