Speeding Ticket Authority

On August 10th, I was driving home from Minnesota.  I usually would have gone south to Des Moines then over.  But, I had a relative in the hospital in Sioux City so I took the diagonal over.

A couple weeks ago, I got in the mail a very nice little note from the City of Sioux City claiming a camera took a picture of me speeding.  So, they were issuing me a ticket.  

The situation where I got mine royally pisses me off.  It clearly in the picture shows I was on I-29 in a location that is three lanes of traffic.  I thought the speed limit was 70.  They clocked me at 75.  From their document, they claim the speed limit was 65.  It's clear I was pretty much the only one on the road.  I wasn't being dangerous to anyone.  I typical situation where an officer would probably give a warning.

Fine.....I think it's a chicken s#!t way of handing out speeding tickets.....but.....I found this law suit rather interesting.  

Should a non-law enforcement entity be able to take control over giving speeding tickets?  

Just one more reason not to go to Sioux City.

• Plus1 1

My problem with this is that there isn't a human there making a judgement call.  With the woman in the case, she sincerely doesn't think she was speeding.  But...there isn't any way to fight it.  AND....if there were a human police officer there, they would have been able to clearly see she was one of the slowest people on the road and wasn't speeding.  OR....be able to defend this by claiming he/she witnessed her speeding.

I don't think the law, especially for minor issues, should be black and white. And since I don't think it should be black and white it shouldn't be handled by a camera or a robot.

The important question was whether your driving endangered anyone. Police rarely pull people over for going 75 in a 65 on an interstate. Unless they're driving erratically.

2 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I received the same type of ticket from Cedar Rapids about a year ago.  I, too, was on the interstate (I-380).  The one I received called it a civil infraction, meaning it doesn't count against your driving record or insurance rates.  Just a little tax for driving through their city.

Ahhhh...yes....

I paid the fine this morning.  It does say the same thing on my ticket about being a "civil infraction".  Of course, they make you make the check out to an organization called "Sioux City Saves Lives".

But.....then you mail the payment to a place in Cleveland, OH.  What a friggen joke.

On 9/20/2017 at 2:10 PM, BigRedBuster said:

On August 10th, I was driving home from Minnesota.  I usually would have gone south to Des Moines then over.  But, I had a relative in the hospital in Sioux City so I took the diagonal over.

A couple weeks ago, I got in the mail a very nice little note from the City of Sioux City claiming a camera took a picture of me speeding.  So, they were issuing me a ticket.  

The situation where I got mine royally pisses me off.  It clearly in the picture shows I was on I-29 in a location that is three lanes of traffic.  I thought the speed limit was 70.  They clocked me at 75.  From their document, they claim the speed limit was 65.  It's clear I was pretty much the only one on the road.  I wasn't being dangerous to anyone.  I typical situation where an officer would probably give a warning.

Fine.....I think it's a chicken s#!t way of handing out speeding tickets.....but.....I found this law suit rather interesting.  

Should a non-law enforcement entity be able to take control over giving speeding tickets?  

Just one more reason not to go to Sioux City.

I think that line of questioning would also be appropriate regarding for profit prisons. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I received the same type of ticket from Cedar Rapids about a year ago.  I, too, was on the interstate (I-380).  The one I received called it a civil infraction, meaning it doesn't count against your driving record or insurance rates.  Just a little tax for driving through their city.

Wait, did you actually break any laws, or did they just send you a ticket for actually driving through their city?