Diaco Rotates Defensive Players with 'Participation Patterns'

Mavric

And in defensive coordinator Bob Diaco’s rotation-heavy defense, Khalil Davis, a backup, is playing. A lot. So is Deontre Thomas at nose tackle. And Mohamed Barry at inside linebacker. And Tyrin Ferguson at outside linebacker. Ditto for Alex Davis. Even Sedrick King got a few snaps.

Diaco has a lofty phrase — “participation patterns” — for his approach to frequently rotating players in his front seven, but, in NU’s 21-17 loss to Northern Illinois, Diaco backed up his words with action. Though the Huskers trailed for most of the game, Diaco stuck to his plan and rotated players.

Counting his rare use of nickel and dime packages, he used roughly 20 personnel combinations against Northern Illinois.

The starting front seven — Carlos Davis, Freedom Akinmoladun, Mick Stoltenberg, Luke Gifford, Dedrick Young, Chris Weber and Marcus Newby — got the most snaps together.

But Barry would spell Young for a few snaps. Then, Barry would spell Weber. Then, Ferguson, an outside linebacker, came in for Newby. Stoltenberg would leave and Thomas, a true freshman, would come in. Khalil Davis would usually replace Akinmoladun. Alex Davis came in to rush the passer as a hand-on-the-ground defensive end.

Gifford, Carlos Davis, Thomas, Akinmoladun, Barry, Young and Ferguson. That was one personnel combination for a few snaps.

Gifford, Carlos Davis, Stoltenberg, Khalil Davis, Weber, Young and Newby. That was another.

OWH

While we lost a very ugly, disappointing game, I feel the Defensive performance got a bit overlooked.  I know they gave up a touchdown at the very worst time, but giving up one touchdown and taking heat is like when people dog on the guy who missed the last shot in basketball that would have won the game.  Yes, it is good to make every shot, but everyone had chances earlier in the game to make that last shot moot.

7 points in the last six quarters is pretty salty in my opinion, regardless of the competition.  

Please don't try to convince me otherwise.....this is all I have to hang on to!

• Plus1 9

I hope he's not trying to get cute with words.  Because, by saying "participation" it means that a lot of players are getting involved in a game.  Not quite a rotation, just fresh legged defenders getting a chance.

On the flip side, the O-Line will play hurt, gassed, and out-played before fresh bodies come into play.  It takes an injury before that ever happens. 

I like that Diaco is trying to fix a defensive problem in the first game and a half that hit them in the face.  Now it's your turn Coach Cav (*cough* Langsdorf play calling *cough, cough* DPE on punt returns *cough, cough* HCMR game management and QB decision yanker)

8 hours ago, Whistlepig said:

to be fair, NIU sucks at offense and you'll find out Oregon isn't all that good,

8 hours ago, Whistlepig said:

OSU-Wisconsin and even Purdue have the ability to make us look silly on both sides

image.jpeg.5f3be35c96198110492ebf9ca737f007.jpeg

Would it kill you to NOT be pessimistic about every freaking aspect of this team?  To admit Diaco did a good job?  Criminy!

• Plus1 3

10 hours ago, Whistlepig said:

to be fair, NIU sucks at offense and you'll find out Oregon isn't all that good, in fact the Pac12  is kind of sucky this year - USC is just waiting to lose and they're the best they have

Well I don't know about NIU, but I think we will find that Oregon is a decent team at the end of the year.  Their offense is just as good as they always were, but their defense is getting better.  Not saying they are going to be in the playoffs, but 9-3 wouldn't surprise me.