Callahan/Pelini/Riley... (Who was the worst?) Megathread

Redux
Message added by Saunders

We don't need multiple topics to discuss which coach sucks the most. Let's keep all that in here.

So during the offseason I did what most of us did. Reminisced of the past wins and dwelled on the losses. Unlike some though I put together a spreadsheet to compare all the losses under Bo. I ranked them 1-20 (1=best loss, 20=worst) through different elements of each game such as points scored, points allowed, opponent record, margin of victory, etc etc. Here were my results. Remember this isn't my personal ranking of the losses, but just the results of my little experiment.

1- Texas 09

2- Oklahoma 10

3- Texas Tech 08

4- Va Tech 09

5- Georgia 12

6- Va Tech 08

7- Ohio State 12

8- Texas A&M 10

9- Iowa State 09

10- Northwestern 11

11- UCLA 12

12- South Carolina 11

13- Oklahoma 08

14- Michigan 11

15- Texas 10

16- Wisconsin 11

17- Washington 10

18- Texas Tech 09

19- Mizzou 08

20- Wisconsin 12

Unsurprisingly the most respectable loss was the Big 12 2009 Title game and the least respectable loss was the 2012 Big Ten Title Game. Some others really surprised me where they ranked. Thoughts?

I think the Washington loss, is the worst, not so much the game, but the change in the direction of the program. Most at that time believed we were truly on our way back. That Bo had it figured out. He even stated so. I do not think we have improved on the level that I expected prior to that game.

I would also put the 09 game at VT a lot lower too as Bo pretty much crapped his pants and punted when Helu was averaging over 6 YPC all he needed was one yard to win the game. I also don't know if it gets any worse than losing at home to Iowa State. There is nothing respectable about that loss at all.

• Plus1 1

I think the Washington loss, is the worst, not so much the game, but the change in the direction of the program. Most at that time believed we were truly on our way back. That Bo had it figured out. He even stated so. I do not think we have improved on the level that I expected prior to that game.

Did you mean Wisconsin last year? 'Cause Washington makes no sense to me.

I would also put the 09 game at VT a lot lower too as Bo pretty much crapped his pants and punted when Helu was averaging over 6 YPC all he needed was one yard to win the game. I also don't know if it gets any worse than losing at home to Iowa State. There is nothing respectable about that loss at all.

I think we just fumbled again. That wasn't Bo's fault.

Wow. Didn't realize half of Bo's losses were by one score or less - that's surprising.

The '09 Virginia Tech game would be second "best" in my eyes. That 2009 season was so incredible - we were three plays away from being 13-1.

Yeah...seems like so long ago, but when I saw your post, I looked back and sighed.

That 2009 season was so incredible - we were three plays away from being 13-1.

I was thinking about this earlier today. We lost 3 games that year by a combined 4 points.

Imagine if we had Ganz, Swift, and Peterson that year.

Imagine if Zac Lee had even 75% of an arm. That would have been enough imo.

That 2010 Texas game would be moved up on my personal list a bit since it was our last shot at redemption for the CC game the year before. Plus all that Red Out Around the World hype. Just to have us go out and piss down our leg.

The Michigan game in 2011 was the first game in Nebraska history that I ever shut off and walked away from. I was a dangerous individual the rest of that day. Glad I didn't hurt anybody.

(the second game I ever shut off, CCG last year, I don't think I'll ever be able to erase that one from the memory bank)

• Plus1 1