Callahan/Pelini/Riley... (Who was the worst?) Megathread

Redux
Message added by Saunders

We don't need multiple topics to discuss which coach sucks the most. Let's keep all that in here.

It really is a wash.  Callahan brought in more NFL talent than Pelini did, but Bo coached Cally's players better than anything he ever recruited.  Riley has the potential to go down as maybe the worst.  Can't believe I just said that...........what is this world coming too!

For all the crap Cally took, he did a better job of recruiting than I think either Pelini or Riley thus far has done.  Bo when he started here was a better coach than the one he left here as.  I always thought that was more about his lack of recruiting.

The Kansas loss in 2007 was bad.

I know teams were slowly putting up more an more points up on that Callahan D; but an opponent putting up 70+ on us was completely unheard of...

Kinda felt like watching your dad get knocked out in a fight as a kid.

Wisconsin 2012 was on a National stage with everyone watching. It was thee game that night and we got completely embarrassed.

2016 Ohio St. We got stomped in ALL facets of the game. It's probably the worst loss in our history. Tommy's injury didn't help, and maybe the loss isn't as bad if he doesn't go down; but he did go down, unfortunately. Worst loss in terms of point differential; perhaps worse loss overall.

*I'm not sure where I'd rank NIU.... somewhere in the top ten, no doubt; along with Purdue '15, Wisc. '14, Iowa @ home in '13, NW @ home '11, Ok St. '07

NIU loss is bad cause it a shot of reality that we have been reduced to a program that is what you would think of when you think of a program without a winning tradition in a state without a hot recruiting pool to pull from. We're currently the equivalent of a Wyoming, Illinois, Idaho, Kansas (St.), New Mexico (St.).

• Plus1 2

Wisconsin 2012 is still the worst to me..  at least against OSU they have 4 or 5* players across the board and our starting QB was literally knocked out.  Wisconsin flat out embarrassed us.  Our defense looked like a HS freshman team that doesn't know what the words outside contain mean.  As a former player and coach that game made me sick to my stomach.  Worst display of football I've seen from a team I root for in a long time and I'm A Bears fan so that's saying something 

• Plus1 1

I feel absolutely ridiculous that off the top of my head I came up with this list. 20 games?! Ughh

Southern Miss 2004

Texas Tech 2004

Oklahoma 2004

Missouri 2007

Oklahoma State 2007

Kansas 2007

Oklahoma 2008

Texas Tech 2009

Iowa State 2009

Texas 2010

Wisconsin 2011

Michigan 2011

Ohio State 2012

Wisconsin 2012

UCLA 2013

Minnesota 2013

Wisconsin 2014

Illinois 2015

Ohio State 2016

Northern Illinois 2017

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, unlfan said:

What are the three worst losses the program has suffered since Solich was fired?

I would have to go with:

1) Northern Illinois 2017

2) Purdue 2015

3) Ohio State 2016

Do I have to scroll past the OP to voice a thought?  BC both Wisconsin beat downs are too hard to overlook.  The home game against USC was ridiculous, the home game against Okie State was extremely painful, seeing KU put up 70! on the Huskers, and even recently at Michigan St with no offense that included AA on a Saturday Prime Time was too disgusting through 3 1/2 quarters. 

The one's you mention are pretty terrible, but tOSU had already crushed the Huskers before. 

• Plus1 1

Sucking as coach is one thing but there is only one right answer for which was worst for our program. Callahan.  Tore down years of tradition, first to take us away from our power rushing identity, alienated former players.....Anybody who answers anything other than BC being worst for the program doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. It really isn't even close to being debatable.

There is a huge difference between driving it into the ground and trying but failing to resurrect it.

• Plus1 1