Callahan/Pelini/Riley... (Who was the worst?) Megathread

Redux
Message added by Saunders

We don't need multiple topics to discuss which coach sucks the most. Let's keep all that in here.

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Nice!

Anyway...it is Purdue.  It also might be Illinois 

No it wasn't.  It was shocking and shameful, but several others were worse.  Heck I had to stream that game on the internet because it was on ESPNU.  People heard about it, but they didn't see it.  There are way more worse games that occurred on Prime Time or were the chosen game of the week on ABC/EsPN. 

4 hours ago, unlfan said:

I will never be able to root for that program again. Systematically covered up child rape and harbored a child rapist.

Aside from a coaching staff murdering people, what could possibly be worse?

Who still represents that program, besides the fan base, which isn't the program, who was involved in such a thing?

4 hours ago, unlfan said:

is it really this controversial saying a 59 point loss is one of our worst?

No but it reveals your dishonesty when your only rationale given for listing it is the point differential, but the 70-10 (higher point differential, bud) 2004 game against a worse Texas Tech team doesn't make your top 3.

Blowouts are blowouts. Once it gets to the point of being considered one, the score is honestly irrelevant because both teams have understood that to be the case at the latest sometime in the third quarter, and anything from there on is a wash. How about you give a real reason? Until you do, this entire board dismisses most of what you have to offer by way of opinion to be ignorant and simplistic.

• Plus1 4

I think it's crazy that some of you are saying the Northern Illinois loss this year is worse than Purdue in 2015. NIU isn't particularly good, they went 5-7 last year, but they aren't dreadful and at least have a decent head coach. Purdue went 2-10 in 2015. Their other win was against FCS/1AA Indiana State. It was Purdue's first conference win against someone other than Illinois since 2012 (with the one Illinois team they beat being coached by Tim Beckman). And Purdue scored 55 points in a game that wasn't as close as the score indicated.

Purdue had the fewest wins of a team that beat Nebraska since 1959 when Kansas State went 2-8 and beat Nebraska 29-14.

• Plus1 2

I'm  sorry but it's a travesty that Callahan isn't running away with this.  If it weren't for his complete ineptitude, the other two wouldn't even be options.  All you picking Riley are just emptionally pissed off right now, understandable.  But the obvious and correct choice is Callahan.

10 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I thought Pelini, at the time was, the type of coach we needed. Don't think he was a "bad" hire, but he may have overstayed his welcome by a year or two.

That's sort of how I see it. I don't think Bo was the worst "coach" out of the three, but I think he hurt our program more than the others.

Callahan at least left some talent for the next guy to work with. What if Suh was never on one of Bo's teams? How many more losses would we have had in 09? 2 or 3 minimum.

Riley is at least recruiting well at most positions. So if he figures things out on the field, then great.... Or if he's fired within the next 18 months, at least the next guy will have a more solid roster to work with than what either Callahan or Riley started with.

• Plus1 2

Why does Solich get a pass from this conversation, didn’t he start the whole bad loss thing?  If you ask me the worst loss in Husker history happened under his watch (11/23/01).    

Obviously Purdue is the worst team to beat Nebraska but besides that if you ask me, I think the losses that happened when we were led to believe we were getting ready to finally turn that corner.

USC in 2006 when we didn’t even really try to win

Texas & OU in 2006 Big 12 Championship

USC in 2007

Texas Tech followed by Iowa State in 2009

Texas and Washington in 2010

Northwestern in 2011

UCLA in 2012

UCLA in 2013

Wisconsin 2011, 2012, & 2014 (177-72 & 153 rushes 1351 yards)

IMO: The Iowa loss last year is worse than the OSU loss last year.

1 hour ago, 1995 Redux said:

I'm  sorry but it's a travesty that Callahan isn't running away with this.  If it weren't for his complete ineptitude, the other two wouldn't even be options.  All you picking Riley are just emptionally pissed off right now, understandable.  But the obvious and correct choice is Callahan.

Yup, Riley winning is just recency bias.

Anyway, this thread is stupid and I can't believe I posted in it.

• Plus1 2