Callahan/Pelini/Riley... (Who was the worst?) Megathread

Redux
Message added by Saunders

We don't need multiple topics to discuss which coach sucks the most. Let's keep all that in here.

On 8/11/2013 at 8:06 PM, 1995 Redux said:

'08 Offense + '09 Defense = National Championship, I've been saying this for years and I'm glad to see people share that concept.

I agree 100%.   The same could be said about 83 Offense  82 Defense and Miami there would have been no need for Tom to go for 2. 

1 hour ago, unlfan said:

Thank you. I forgot what that final score was. I fully disagree with your notion that point differential is meaningless, bud. Couldn't possibly disagree more, bud. Is a 40-15 loss the same as a 77-3 loss? Of course not.

Amended list:

1)Northern Illinois 2017

2) Purdue 2015

3) Texas Tech 2004

4) Ohio State 2016

So point differentials only matter if you are trying to prove Riley is worse than someone else, otherwise point differentials don't matter because it's quality of opponent.....until it isn't.  Think I'm finally starting to understand your logic. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, saunders45 said:

We don't need multiple threads to argue the exact same thing.

Nuts, I think you cut off my amazing post with such wisdom and brilliant insight:P while I was typing it on the other thread.  It just vanished before I could hit submit!:bang

Ok I'll try to recreate my thoughts.  BC was the worse:

1.  His just one season comment at the end of year one told us all he didn't understand nor did he care about NU traditions.  That season ending loss prevented NU from going to a bowl game that year for the 1st time in 40+ years.  It also ended another streak - our non-losing streak  (yes Frank had a 7-7 record 2 years prior but it wasn't a losing season).  He insulted the pride of NU fans wt that comment.  He had no understanding of the depth of what NU football means to the whole state.  He didn't bother to try an on side kick towards the end of the game so that we could get the ball, possibly beat Colo and remain bowl eligible.  

2.  His arrogance was in full display in not cutting lose of Cosgrove.  It was also in full display when he refused to start Ganz instead of Keller.  Ganz had the player's support and was a obvious choice.  But he had forecast-ed that Keller would be the next great QB.  Both decisions cost him his job.

3.  Playing a back up QB against Texas Tech to prove to everyone that there wasn't a QB on the roster that could run his offense.  Result: I believe the worse beat down in NU history.  He embarrass NU on the national stage as never before.  He hung that QB out to dry, feed him to the wolves while forcing a square peg into a round hole.  At least MR decided to work more with Tommie Armstrong and his strengths instead of forcing his full offense on him. 

4. Calling our traditional rival, OU "f... hillbillies'.  He didn't respect the rivalry in the way both schools did.  Barry Switzer in his worse days would not have said the same or anything close.  Disrespecting the rivalry is disrespecting the traditions of NU.  (Granted OU also disrespected it by not protecting the game when the big 12 was formed)

5. Fake punt in bowl game before half against Clemson - stupid call that changed the whole momentum of the game.  Just example of some of his 'what was he thinking' play calling.

6. One good point related to # 5 (thus a left handed compliment - not to offend left handers mind you:o):  He recruited and named Zac Taylor as QB for 2 years.  Zac made up for BC's play calling. He was a coach on the field. Tough - one of my favorite NU QBs of all time - top 10 for sure.

7.  General disregard for NU tradition.  Taking us away from our identity as a program and trying to make us into something were weren't and possibly can't ever be.  

8. Playing it safe against USC in order not to get beat real bad but not playing to win.   

9. Never taking advise from Tom.  I understand there was basically zero interaction between the 2 during all 4 years.   Edit: Let me add - In the same way he didn't embrace former players and what they meant to the school. He had the NFL mentality - player moves to another team, he has no value to me any longer.

10. Recruited good players, but couldn't coach them up to their level. 

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 1
1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Nuts, I think you cut off my amazing post with such wisdom and brilliant insight:P while I was typing it on the other thread.  It just vanished before I could hit submit!:bang

Ok I'll try to recreate my thoughts.  BC was the worse:

1.  His just one season comment at the end of year one told us all he didn't understand nor did he care about NU traditions.  That season ending loss prevented NU from going to a bowl game that year for the 1st time in 40+ years.  It also ended another streak - our non-losing streak  (yes Frank had a 7-7 record 2 years prior but it wasn't a losing season).  He insulted the pride of NU fans wt that comment.  He had no understanding of the depth of what NU football means to the whole state.  He didn't bother to try an on side kick towards the end of the game so that we could get the ball, possibly beat Colo and remain bowl eligible.  

2.  His arrogance was in full display in not cutting lose of Cosgrove.  It was also in full display when he refused to start Ganz instead of Keller.  Ganz had the player's support and was a obvious choice.  But he had forecast-ed that Keller would be the next great QB.  Both decisions cost him his job.

3.  Playing a back up QB against Texas Tech to prove to everyone that there wasn't a QB on the roster that could run his offense.  Result: I believe the worse beat down in NU history.  He embarrass NU on the national stage as never before.  He hung that QB out to dry, feed him to the wolves while forcing a square peg into a round hole.  At least MR decided to work more with Tommie Armstrong and his strengths instead of forcing his full offense on him. 

4. Calling our traditional rival, OU "f... hillbillies'.  He didn't respect the rivalry in the way both schools did.  Barry Switzer in his worse days would not have said the same or anything close.  Disrespecting the rivalry is disrespecting the traditions of NU.  (Granted OU also disrespected it by not protecting the game when the big 12 was formed)

5. Fake punt in bowl game before half against Clemson - stupid call that changed the whole momentum of the game.  Just example of some of his 'what was he thinking' play calling.

6. One good point related to # 5 (thus a left handed compliment - not to offend left handers mind you:o):  He recruited and named Zac Taylor as QB for 2 years.  Zac made up for BC's play calling. He was a coach on the field. Tough - one of my favorite NU QBs of all time - top 10 for sure.

7.  General disregard for NU tradition.  Taking us away from our identity as a program and trying to make us into something were weren't and possibly can't ever be.  

8. Playing it safe against USC in order not to get beat real bad but not playing to win.   

9. Never taking advise from Tom.  I understand there was basically zero interaction between the 2 during all 4 years. 

10. Recruited good players, but couldn't coach them up to their level. 

unlfan couldn't disagree more