How much was a McDonalds burger when you were "a kid"

Here's a McD menu from 1970. I would've been about 7.

McDonalds+1970s+inflation.jpg

By my best recollection, I remember 29 cent hamburgers and that wasn't single day throwback pricing.

I don't believe Columbus had a McDonalds before about 1975.

They had those Styrofoam clamshell boxes, white for Quarter Pounder, yellow for Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese and I think the Big Mac was some gold/tan color.

• Plus1 2

In Omaha, I think it was around 49 cents for a hamburger, and 59 cents for a cheeseburger when I was a kid.  I do remember being in high school, and we stopped at McDonald's for some lunch before going swimming at this old rock quarry in Ashland.  McDonald's had a special on their cheeseburgers so I bought 8 of them to eat throughout the day.  Yes, I was kind of a fat kid.

I remember when they would do .39 and .49 as special prices, but I don't remember what the normal prices were. This would have been maybe mid to late 80s. I also remember it was a big deal when they had double cheeseburgers; they weren't a permanent item for a long time.

The quarter pounders in the styrofoam boxes used to be the best things ever. Now they're just overcooked hunks of dried up meat in burnt buns. Honestly, it's impossible to get fast food anymore that isn't horribly overcooked.

McDonalds and some of the other big fast food hamburger chains are a huge driving force behind food safety and humane animal handling concerns. These are good things that the big packers would skimp on if their biggest customers weren't forcing it on them. So say what you will about companies like Mickey D's but not everything about them is bad. I think if I was shoveling out millions of burgers a year that I'd way over cook them too. E. coli, listeria and a few of the others are no joking matter. Having said that, I still take my chances on medium to med well burgers from time to time. They taste so much better and something has to kill ya eventually....right?

42 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

McDonalds and some of the other big fast food hamburger chains are a huge driving force behind food safety and humane animal handling concerns. These are good things that the big packers would skimp on if their biggest customers weren't forcing it on them. So say what you will about companies like Mickey D's but not everything about them is bad. I think if I was shoveling out millions of burgers a year that I'd way over cook them too. E. coli, listeria and a few of the others are no joking matter. Having said that, I still take my chances on medium to med well burgers from time to time. They taste so much better and something has to kill ya eventually....right?

This will sound insane but I have a buddy that orders a cheeseburger with no cheese (from McD's) to get is super fresh and a bit let cooked.

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Oh man!  The styrofoam!  Also, how has there not been a post in here AGAINST McDonalds...I mean I thought for sure there would be one of those!

image.png.9680b68073e9f89fed75a3df28e53f4c.png

I use like the McDLT when it was in the Styrofoam container.  Also, I remember when hamburgers were .20 cents.

On 9/25/2017 at 2:09 PM, El Diaco said:

Here's a McD menu from 1970. I would've been about 7.

McDonalds+1970s+inflation.jpg

By my best recollection, I remember 29 cent hamburgers and that wasn't single day throwback pricing.

I don't believe Columbus had a McDonalds before about 1975.

They had those Styrofoam clamshell boxes, white for Quarter Pounder, yellow for Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese and I think the Big Mac was some gold/tan color.

I don't care if those things are turtle or bait, but the filet-o-fish are awesome.  And WAAY too pricey anymore.