Orlando Sentinel with an Interesting article on Scott Frost and the Husker job

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Your faith in the ENTIRE Husker fan base exceeds mine.

Nah, i agree with him. There's a narrative in the national media that thinks that NU fans expect national championships every year. That's simply not true.

Nebraska fans are smart enough to realize the game has changed. BUT... it hasn't changed so much that people can't expect us not to be a laughing stock.

Lets say Frost comes in, and he is "the man" and NU dominates the division, wins the west 2/4 years and wins one B1G title every 4. I think Husker fans take that in a hearbeat.

• Plus1 9

27 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

As much as many of us would like to have Frost come for the 'emotional' side of it, I too, like BRB, Fru and Knapp, wish he was more seasoned as a HC. Therefore we have to bring on the best possible hire now, not what 'might' be the guy with the best potential.  As Knapp said - we don't know if he is at his ceiling now or if there is a lot of great potential still to be revealed.  With the last 3 hires, we failed to get the best possible coach - we settled for less. NU deserves more.  Time to hire the best available right now without being delusional - thinking we could get Sabin or even Stoops.  (sure I'd take them if they wanted to come - but I don't think there is any 'want' there)

I'm with you guys on this as well.  We really don't know what Frost can do so do we take another chance or do we find someone proven to know what they are doing.  People argue it all the time but currently we're throwing sh!t at the wall to see what sticks.  I'd love to have Frost, but i'd really love to know that we're hiring a local kid who has all of "it" and not just a flash in the pan.  I'd hate to see Frost come in and fail, I always liked the kid, I think we'd all hate to see him fail and that is always a possibility.

34 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

Nah, i agree with him. There's a narrative in the national media that thinks that NU fans expect national championships every year. That's simply not true.

Nebraska fans are smart enough to realize the game has changed. BUT... it hasn't changed so much that people can't expect us not to be a laughing stock.

Lets say Frost comes in, and he is "the man" and NU dominates the division, wins the west 2/4 years and wins one B1G title every 4. I think Husker fans take that in a hearbeat.

TO didn't win NCs every year.

In fact, your last paragraph pretty much sums up the first 20+ years of his HCing here.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

TO didn't win NCs every year.

In fact, your last paragraph pretty much sums up the first 20+ years of his HCing here.

But you remember we wanted to fire Osborne like every other year in the 1980s, right?  And McBride was Public Enemy Number One from about 1988-1992 or so. 

I think today we'd take all that, but if a coach delivered that then after a while we'd want more, and the guy who got us all those things would hear grumbling, too.

We're Nebraskans.  Stoic by nature, a grumbling lot, staunchly loyal but very demanding.  We're quite the handful.  :D

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

But you remember we wanted to fire Osborne like every other year in the 1980s, right?  And McBride was Public Enemy Number One from about 1988-1992 or so. 

I think today we'd take all that, but if a coach delivered that then after a while we'd want more, and the guy who got us all those things would hear grumbling, too.

We're Nebraskans.  Stoic by nature, a grumbling lot, staunchly loyal but very demanding.  We're quite the handful.  :D

So....in other words, a lot of Husker fans would expect Frost to have the same success TO had.

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Thus doubling it - or adding another $2M to it - would probably get his attention.

I read that wrong.  I read it as saying we'd pay him $2M which would double or triple what he makes now. 

At the end of the day, I doubt money really has anything to do with it.  Either Frost wants the job, or he doesn't.  I don't think money will be a deciding factor at all. 

Callahan, Pelini and Riley were/are unworthy coaches for an institution like Nebraska, except of course, when they were actually hired.

Callahan had just coached an NFL team to the Super Bowl (and would go back to a respectable professional coaching career) so suggesting the University of Nebraska was above his station is kinda silly. I don't think Callahan was a good fit, and frankly he needed a place to land after his firing, but only hindsight lets you bemoan his hiring over our preferred candidate, the coveted college football genius Houston Nutt.

We didn't "settle" for Bo Pelini. We wanted him. Many already considered him a Husker from his last stint with the team -- and many wanted him hired back in '03 — and when we got our second chance he was the Defensive Coordinator for the National Champion LSU Tigers, part of a resume that included the Green Bay Packers and San Francisco 49ers. There wasn't much handwringing at the time: Bo was no doubt about to be hired by a P5 program, and we got to claim him as proven Husker. 

The year we hired him, Mike Riley was voted the second most underrated coach by his college football peers. His reputation for doing more with less was enough to make him a candidate for HC jobs at USC, UCLA and Alabama. His recruiting reputation was so respected that Rivals called the hiring a huge win for Nebraska. NFL superstars like Kurt Warner, Keyshawn Johnson and Chirs Spielman send their sons and nephews to Nebraska to play for Riley. 

None of these guys has worked out. Not at the level Nebraska fans demand. But every hiring was defensible at the time, and if we're applying hindsight, the guy you supposedly thought we should hire in 2003, 2007 and 2014 often went on to post records unacceptable by our lofty Nebraska standards.  

The only thing sadder is fans who think the University could cut a check and get Nick Saban or Urban Meyer to jump at the opportunity. 

It's not easy hiring a legendary coach. 

• Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Callahan, Pelini and Riley were/are unworthy coaches for an institution like Nebraska, except of course, when they were actually hired.

Callahan had just coached an NFL team to the Super Bowl (and would go back to a respectable professional coaching career) so suggesting the University of Nebraska was above his station is kinda silly. I don't think Callahan was a good fit, and frankly he needed a place to land after his firing, but only hindsight lets you bemoan his hiring over our preferred candidate, the coveted college football genius Houston Nutt.

We didn't "settle" for Bo Pelini. We wanted him. Many already considered him a Husker from his last stint with the team -- and many wanted him hired back in '03 — and when we got our second chance he was the Defensive Coordinator for the National Champion LSU Tigers, part of a resume that included the Green Bay Packers and San Francisco 49ers. There wasn't much handwringing at the time: Bo was no doubt about to be hired by a P5 program, and we got to claim him as proven Husker. 

The year we hired him, Mike Riley was voted the second most underrated coach by his college football peers. His reputation for doing more with less was enough to make him a candidate for HC jobs at USC, UCLA and Alabama. His recruiting reputation was so respected that Rivals called the hiring a huge win for Nebraska. NFL superstars like Kurt Warner, Keyshawn Johnson and Chirs Spielman send their sons and nephews to Nebraska to play for Riley. 

None of these guys has worked out. Not at the level Nebraska fans demand. But every hiring was defensible at the time, and if we're applying hindsight, the guy you supposedly thought we should hire in 2003, 2007 and 2014 often went on to post records unacceptable by our lofty Nebraska standards.  

The only thing sadder is fans who think the University could cut a check and get Nick Saban or Urban Meyer to jump at the opportunity. 

It's not easy hiring a legendary coach. 

He was also the same guy who the season after the SB had his whole team quit on him.  The Raiders literally would not play for the guy any longer, that should have been a tell right there.

• Plus1 2