Orlando Sentinel with an Interesting article on Scott Frost and the Husker job

There was once an Athletic Director that Husker Nation considered a no-brainer. A born and raised Nebraskan who became a hot commodity at another Power 5 program, lured back to UNL as the perfect link between the glory days and modern college football. Upon his arrival he vowed "not to let Nebraska gravitate into mediocrity."

That dream come true for Nebraska fans was named.....Steve Pederson.

The Scott Frost of AD hires.

And now you know The Rest of the Story.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There was once an Athletic Director that Husker Nation considered a no-brainer. A born and raised Nebraskan who became a hot commodity at another Power 5 program, lured back to UNL as the perfect link between the glory days and modern college football. Upon his arrival he vowed "not to let Nebraska gravitate into mediocrity."

Exactly.

This same story can be applied to Trev Alberts also.  

Be careful what you wish for...

3 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Why? Osborne had not been a head coach before he took over for Devaney, neither did Solich when he took over for Osborne.  I don't buy this 'needs more head coaching experience' excuse anymore.  (No offense. ;) ) Scott has a lot of pluses going for him for this job if he should choose to take it, namely, he understands the culture.  That is huge right now. (just my humble opinion.)

Why? I would imagine that one would need a little more experience than coaching a directional school for 18 months before they take over the winningest college football program of the last 50 years that has fired two coaches with winning records.

Yes there's a lot of upside to Scott. I would just prefer he'd be a bit more experienced. 

No offense taken. 

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

He did what he was hired to do.  He fired Solich.  Bill Byrne left because he didn't want to be the one to fire Solich.  What he did was no more and no less than what Eichorst was hired to do.  What did both of them in was their hiring of the next football coach.  Make no mistake about it, our next AD and their success will be directly linked to the success of the football program.  If the next football coach struggles and is fired, our next AD will be fired as well.   

1 hour ago, Fru said:

Why? I would imagine that one would need a little more experience than coaching a directional school for 18 months before they take over the winningest college football program of the last 50 years that has fired two coaches with winning records.

Yes there's a lot of upside to Scott. I would just prefer he'd be a bit more experienced. 

No offense taken. 

Thanks.  You can never tell a person's tone of voice or body language on these message boards.  Mine was a sincere question.  I think everyone is up in arms right now.  Excited that there is movement in 'righting the ship' and wanting to win again.  It makes us all a little crazy! (Since I'm already crazy I should say 'crazier'! lol)

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And...let's not act like recruiting to UCF is some amazingly easy thing to do.  Yes, he doesn't have to travel far to visit players.  But, they are currently ranked 63rd with 15 recruits.  So.....it's not like he is going after the same type of players Florida, FSU and Miami are going after.

UCF's average player rating is 83.62

Nebraska is sitting with 10 players with an average of 89.41

Nebraska has a total of two players below UCF's average rating.....and one of those is a kicker.

Exactly why if he wins and is bowl eligible with lesser players there, he could do wonders here.  I think he could recruit to Nebraska.  I think he could recruit from Florida to Nebraska.  I think the time is now though if we want to get Frost.  He will go elsewhere in time.  That doesn't matter right now to me.  The answer will come in who they decide is our next AD.  If we go with in our roots and bring in Dave Rimington or Trev Alberts, I think that speak for itself.  We will bring in Frost.  If we bring in a top AD candiate with national known ties, that means we are going after someone with a national reputation.

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Quite frankly, if we go through 3 failed coaches with no Nebraska ties and the only way we get back to being competitive is to bring Frost back......that's pretty concerning for the long term sustainability of our program.

How many teams have had issues after losing their legendary coach? Pretty much all of them.

We've been through Frost's resume,  and like everyone else I have pretty substantial reservations about his young head coaching career, but sometimes you gotta gamble. The last 4 hires were calculated and justifiable at the time, maybe now we go with our gut. tOSU did it, Michigan  did it, Wisconsin did it... I think the one thing I like the most about Scott right now is how extremly well spoken and thoughtful he is. The dude is smart.

Let's see how his team comes back after not playing a game or really practicing for 2 weeks. He had a lot to manage with a team that scattered due to the hurricane. If he can pull them together and put together a good season with his team that will speak volumes! 

4 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

UCF football is about to get a bunch more tv viewership from Nebraska fans. I know I'll be watching.

They play Maryland this weekend so it should be on somewhere. Perhaps BTN?   

Before the season started I saw that Tom Osborne and Scott Frost were going to be at a dinner in Palm Beach and thought I'd like to go,  until I saw it was $150 to buy a seat.  I got better uses for that money, like more booze to cry into for this season.  :wasted

Quirky article.  Their argument is Scott Frost doesn't want to leave the comfort of easy Florida recruiting?  What?  Frost doesn't strike me as a person not up for challenges.  If the Nebraska job is something he always saw as a mission for himself, then he strikes me as one with a drive to have success.  It won't be overnight but it would be the type of competitiveness and football we all crave.

27 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Quirky article.  Their argument is Scott Frost doesn't want to leave the comfort of easy Florida recruiting?  What?  Frost doesn't strike me as a person not up for challenges.  If the Nebraska job is something he always saw as a mission for himself, then he strikes me as one with a drive to have success.  It won't be overnight but it would be the type of competitiveness and football we all crave.

Don't see how anything relating to recruiting in Florida is comfortable. At UCF you have to battle, Florida, FSU, Miami, USF, and the character of Lane Kiffin at FAU. Plus you have other SEC and ACC top programs coming into the state to try and take top kids, then on top of that you have everyone else coming into Florida and trying to get a recruit or two. Meanwhile being stuck at UCF in Florida, you can't really afford to try and build other pipeline states, so you are stuck doing what you can to stay afloat in recruiting in the state of Florida.

7 hours ago, ladyhawke said:

Why? Osborne had not been a head coach before he took over for Devaney, neither did Solich when he took over for Osborne.  I don't buy this 'needs more head coaching experience' excuse anymore.  (No offense. ;) ) Scott has a lot of pluses going for him for this job if he should choose to take it, namely, he understands the culture.  That is huge right now. (just my humble opinion.)

So far, I haven't been that impressed with our last few ''seasoned'' coaches on game days...All of them seemed to have problems with the clock, making game time adjustments, more recently...giving 95% of the carries to a sophomore with ''old knees'' putting his future in jeopardy.  Frost might be one of the few who could/would come to a place that has a reputation of firing nice guys with pertineer winning seasons...From what I've seen, he not only seems to be creative, but is still open to learn from mistakes and not be set in his ways..Even though he is getting old.

• Plus1 1