unlfan

Eichorst Fired!

ColoradoHusk    3,336
Just now, STL Husker said:

Is Trev Alberts the favorite?

I'm sure he will get a look, but I don't think it has to be a Nebraska guy to be hired.

BigRedBuster    7,314

I'm actually trying to figure out if I'm surprised....as odd as that sounds.

What this tells me is that expectations are to win THIS YEAR.  Either Riley turns this around for a miraculous finish or he's gone.

This has to be bad news for Riley too. If Eichorst had been let go in December then maybe Riley gets another year but if the school gets a new AD in place in the next 45-60 days there is still time to bring in a new football coaching staff.

VectorVictor    1,561

popcorn-yes.gif

This is gonna get goooooooood, everyone. Buckle up.

Just now, Whistlebritches said:

This has to be bad news for Riley too. If Eichorst had been let go in December then maybe Riley gets another year but if the school gets a new AD in place in the next 45-60 days there is still time to bring in a new football coach staff.

Still think they'll stick with Riley and terminate Langsdorf and Cavanaugh. Riley could be a good face of the program/CEO type, provided he has competent coaches below him. 

BigRedBuster    7,314

It's going to be very interesting to see how fast this search goes.  Do they have someone on the hook already?

I would assume no announcement will be made for at least 15-30 days...or longer.

Cdog923    767
Just now, Football Guy Bob said:

Don't like the timing of this.  Have to think that this puts Riley and this current recruiting class squarely on the chopping block.

ADs typically take longer to hire than coaches do, but yes: the pressure just got ratcheted up. 

ColoradoHusk    3,336

Riley has to know he's a lame duck now, unless he pulls a miracle and wins big.  I'm shocked that Eichorst was fired now, but Chancellor Green probably thought "I'm not going to renew his contract in December, so might as well fire him now and start the process."  That process includes probably hiring a new football coach and giving the men's basketball program a big review, as well.

BigRedBuster    7,314

I'm feeling that expectations were expressed to Eichorst before the season and in turn.....he expressed those expectations to the coaching staff.

Those obviously are not being met.

ColoradoHusk    3,336
1 minute ago, Football Guy Bob said:

Don't like the timing of this.  Have to think that this puts Riley and this current recruiting class squarely on the chopping block.

I really like the timing of this.  Search for a new AD for a month, give that new AD to review Riley for this year, and probably fire him if he ends up with a bad record.

Red Five    3,008

This is good news as far as a coaching search goes.  Hopefully should have a new AD in place by mid-Nov to begin the search (assuming Mike is out too).

ColoradoHusk    3,336
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I'm feeling that expectations were expressed to Eichorst before the season and in turn.....he expressed those expectations to the coaching staff.

Those obviously are not being met.

That's why Eichorst came out to the media last week.  Trying to buy himself more time and have Riley turn things around.

Football Guy Bob    4,428
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I really like the timing of this.  Search for a new AD for a month, give that new AD to review Riley for this year, and probably fire him if he ends up with a bad record.

An AD search better take longer than a month.

VectorVictor    1,561
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's going to be very interesting to see how fast this search goes.  Do they have someone on the hook already?

I would assume no announcement will be made for at least 15-30 days...or longer.

Well, maybe it has something to do with a certain article from Orlando about a certain 1997 NC Quarterback from Nebraska?

The timing is rather suspect, to say the least. Someone leaked to the reporter that DoNU got permission to talk to Frost, reporter acts as a public messenger for Frost's current employer...

El Diaco    4,538

I'm not fully at liberty to divulge but......today there was plane spotted leaving Omaha.....and another spotted landing in Lincoln. Just sayin.

Trev Alberts would be awesome as Athletic Director.  I remember him telling off a fellow ESPN announcer that Nebraska at 9-3 would not and should not ever be good enough.  

Always the attitude that Nebraska must be playing for the National Championship.

Lets get the attitude back, kicking ass and taking names.

ColoradoHusk    3,336
Just now, Red Five said:

This is good news as far as a coaching search goes.  Hopefully should have a new AD in place by mid-Nov to begin the search (assuming Mike is out too).

Unless Riley turns things around, he will be fired by the new AD.  The new AD will really like the opportunity to hire a new football coach.

Cdog923    767
Just now, El Diaco said:

I'm not fully at liberty to divulge but......today there was plane spotted leaving Omaha.....and another spotted landing in Lincoln. Just sayin.

....are you Steve Spurrier's cable guy? 

Red Five    3,008
3 minutes ago, Football Guy Bob said:

I'm of the opinion that you don't keep a coach just for his recruiting class.  And if Riley goes the recruiting class was going to fall apart anyway.

ColoradoHusk    3,336
Just now, Football Guy Bob said:

An AD search better take longer than a month.

Even if it takes 8-9 weeks, it's done before the end of the football season, and the new AD can appoint a new coach.

BigRedBuster    7,314
3 minutes ago, Football Guy Bob said:

I'm a guy who absolutely hates coaching changes.

But, recruiting and the current class should not be the prevailing determination as to if Eichorst is fired and when.

VectorVictor    1,561
2 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

CONFIRMED! Ernie Chambers will be the new AD at Nebraska!!!

Not really...c'mon. 

Caliborn72    71

Yeah, the timing of this suggests they don’t believe there’s a chance Riley turns the season around.

The right move at the right time if that’s the case.

El Diaco    4,538
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

....are you Steve Spurrier's cable guy? 

You might say I handle the information super highway AND aquatic concerns....

Football Guy Bob    4,428
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Even if it takes 8-9 weeks, it's done before the end of the football season, and the new AD can appoint a new coach.

Unless the chancellor and his committee have someone in mind an AD search typically takes months and months.  It's not an easy search/transition.

I'm just kind of conflicted on the timing and everything.  Really hoping that there is a short list that Green has and he didn't just do it out of impulse.