VectorVictor    1,816

Got this from friends that work at one of the major papers in Nebraska. A full-fledged search will be conducted, but Trev is the proverbial apple of their eye. 

Not much of a stretch as a rumor I know...but the fact that the chattycathys of this paper are all going ape caca over this makes me think someone over there knows something already. 

Regardless, just passing on what I heard, and if I'm wrong, go relegate me to Shaggybevo or some other trash board. 

tfree32    370

If Trev is the best guy, fine. But let's conduct an actual national search and figure that out. Enough with the boosters shortcircuiting the process.

VectorVictor    1,816
Just now, tfree32 said:

If Trev is the best guy, fine. But let's conduct an actual national search and figure that out. Enough with the boosters shortcircuiting the process.

I couldn't agree more, and I should have emphasized that the good part of this rumor isn't the Trev bit (well, it is, but that's easy enough to call)--it's that the University is conducting a full-fledged search and looking at multiple candidates...even if they have one they favor.  

TGHusker    1,238

And hopefully the full fledged search occurs with the HC.    I know we have to wait for the new AD, but I hope behind the scenes boasters are reaching out to potential new HCs and greasing the track to Lincoln - to get them thinking of the possibilities of resurrecting the program here.

ColoradoHusk    3,810

I've heard that Alberts has made numerous recent trips to the office to a major NU donor and regent.  This NU donor and regent does support Nebraska-Omaha, as well, for what it's worth.

VectorVictor    1,816

Well, and how many hot takes did we see from the local media when Trev was hired at UNO saying that the UNO AD gig was a test/stepping stone for Trev getting the AD chair at DoNU?  

I understand that some UNO alum may have a problem with Trev being our AD, but I think the positives way outweigh the negatives if Trev is indeed the new AD for DoNU. 

theknife    236
17 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Well, and how many hot takes did we see from the local media when Trev was hired at UNO saying that the UNO AD gig was a test/stepping stone for Trev getting the AD chair at DoNU?  

I understand that some UNO alum may have a problem with Trev being our AD, but I think the positives way outweigh the negatives if Trev is indeed the new AD for DoNU. 

His D1 bet hasn't paid off yet and UNO is financially stretched right now. I don't think Trev has done anything at UNO to make him ready for a bump to UNL. 

VectorVictor    1,816
11 minutes ago, theknife said:

His D1 bet hasn't paid off yet and UNO is financially stretched right now. I don't think Trev has done anything at UNO to make him ready for a bump to UNL. 

D1 bets don't typically pay off right away...and honestly, the hockey team has done rather well, all things considered. 

ColoradoHusk    3,810
Just now, VectorVictor said:

D1 bets don't typically pay off right away...and honestly, the hockey team has done rather well, all things considered. 

I think the move to D1 has been good for the University.  Their men's basketball program was a win away from being in the NCAA Tournament last year.  The baseball program won their conference 2 years ago (although Herold was fired after this past year).  I think being in D1 athletics has been a benefit for the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

VectorVictor    1,816
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the move to D1 has been good for the University.  Their men's basketball program was a win away from being in the NCAA Tournament last year.  The baseball program won their conference 2 years ago (although Herold was fired after this past year).  I think being in D1 athletics has been a benefit for the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

Looking into what TheKnife said, it does appear UNO is having some funding issues switching to D1. But it also that while some of this was expected, there were some other mitigating factors that weren't expected that depleted revenue. 

I don't know if it's fair to pin UNO's fiscal issues squarely on Trev and the 'bet' on moving to D1. UNO was going to move to D1 at some point, and probably should have years sooner. But I don't know if it's realistic for UNO to expect to be able to move to D1 with a football team in tow. 

soup    132

Why not Terry Pettit?  If we HAVE to get a guy that has Nebraska ties.  Why not the guy that has spent the last 10 plus years being a coaching consultant, knows the culture and the business side also.

Sparker    608
11 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Just putting this out there for discussion.

Anybody care to share the background of this? I don't follow the UNO athletic department happenings.

VectorVictor    1,816
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

This most likely stems from the UNO Wrestling situation which was handled...poorly to say the least.

I do remember that fiasco, now that you mention it. That would sour me on anything Trev-related were I directly involved. 

Cornhole    63
2 hours ago, Sparker said:

Anybody care to share the background of this? I don't follow the UNO athletic department happenings.

Everyone should read the article below before becoming excited about the prospect of Trev as AD (there was also an excellent ESPN Outside the Lines report that I can't find anymore).  It wasn't just the athletic department that was disrespected.  I was attending UNO at the time and the student body, along with big-time boosters like Deeb, never received any answers to our questions.  He could not have handled the situation with more callousness or indifference.    

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6488960

Beyond that major screwup, I don't see how he can be the most qualified person for this job, and I would be extremely disappointed if he's hired.  

Sparker    608
1 hour ago, Cornhole said:

Everyone should read the article below before becoming excited about the prospect of Trev as AD (there was also an excellent ESPN Outside the Lines report that I can't find anymore).  It wasn't just the athletic department that was disrespected.  I was attending UNO at the time and the student body, along with big-time boosters like Deeb, never received any answers to our questions.  He could not have handled the situation with more callousness or indifference.    

Beyond that major screwup, I don't see how he can be the most qualified person for this job, and I would be extremely disappointed if he's hired.  

Man, I have a short memory. I do remember some of this now. I never saw direct quotes from those affected, though.

teachercd    3,068
2 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

I do remember that fiasco, now that you mention it. That would sour me on anything Trev-related were I directly involved. 

Yeah...for 3 days lots of people pretended like they all of a sudden loved UNO wrestling and UNO football.

I have a buddy that was going into his senior year and playing for UNO at the time...he HATES Trev...he wrote "f#*k TREV" on the marker board when he was leaving the locker room and he still has a locker room chair that he stole.  He will always hate Trev.  But it is not like anyone really went to the games or cared about it.

The Wrestling Program ran on their own cash.  Denny is a decent guy and wrestling is a very tight group.  With that said (and I am a former wrestling coach) I can't name one person that I haver ever known that went to a UNO meet.  I never went and we got in for free.

One BBall appearance in the Big Dance is better than championships in the lower level sports.  Sadly.

4skers89    513
2 hours ago, Cornhole said:

From the article it said that the football program was getting $1.2 M from student fees and university funds from an athletic dept. total of $5.9 M or 20%.  To keep wrestling and football they would need to increase that to $7.9M.  Seems expensive to me.  The wrestling program was successful in D2 but I don't know how that would translate to D1 and if it would have been a money maker.  Some things are suspicious like the consulting and the decision might have been rushed.  Execution and timing of the decision was cold.  Overall sounds like a tough choice had to be made and people came up with reasons to quibble.  Am I missing something?

Cdog923    1,064
6 hours ago, theknife said:

The basketball team was a shot away from the tournament last year, and the hockey team has a new arena and made the Frozen Four.

Cornhole    63
3 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

From the article it said that the football program was getting $1.2 M from student fees and university funds from an athletic dept. total of $5.9 M or 20%.  To keep wrestling and football they would need to increase that to $7.9M.  Seems expensive to me.  The wrestling program was successful in D2 but I don't know how that would translate to D1 and if it would have been a money maker.  Some things are suspicious like the consulting and the decision might have been rushed.  Execution and timing of the decision was cold.  Overall sounds like a tough choice had to be made and people came up with reasons to quibble.  Am I missing something?

A couple things: Given the way everyone reacted, they could have raised millions of dollars to save the programs and easily made up the $2M per year gap but Trev wouldn't even give them a shot.  The only reason wrestling was a money maker was because it was funded almost exclusively from outside sources.  Denney must have been a fundraising machine.  I remember hearing that the wrestling program received the same amount of funding from UNO per year the day Coach Denney started as the day Trev axed it; something like $25,000 a year.  Peanuts!    There were also discussions about how wrestling could have possibly stayed DII, but I don't know the details about that.  Trev basically didn't give anyone a chance to work anything out.    

He claims UNO couldn't afford $7.9M but UNO now pays $8.5M and just raised student fees.  (see: http://www.omaha.com/news/education/uno-looks-at-cuts-fee-increases-wage-freezes-to-balance/article_13e7f7a4-196c-5d28-abd3-9e958b2b7d02.html).  Granted, part of that is for Baxter, but it still is a bad look.  Either the finances at the UNO athletic department aren't great (which makes the decision to go DI in the first place questionable, at least right now) or the finances are fine and the school could have afforded the $7.9M.  

F&*K Trev. 

Unrelated, but nice article after Denney won coach of the year for all divisions over Cael Sanderson.  Probably a sympathy vote but still.  http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/8337

NM11046    1,937

Good lord - why do so many people have hardons for former players taking these jobs?  You want the skill set, experience and aptitude.  Biggest mistake we make now is bring in someone with little experience, and mixed reviews just because they used to put on pads.  Ridiculous.

VectorVictor    1,816
7 hours ago, Cornhole said:

He claims UNO couldn't afford $7.9M but UNO now pays $8.5M and just raised student fees.  (see: http://www.omaha.com/news/education/uno-looks-at-cuts-fee-increases-wage-freezes-to-balance/article_13e7f7a4-196c-5d28-abd3-9e958b2b7d02.html).  Granted, part of that is for Baxter, but it still is a bad look.  Either the finances at the UNO athletic department aren't great (which makes the decision to go DI in the first place questionable, at least right now) or the finances are fine and the school could have afforded the $7.9M.  

I'd be interested to see other FBS schools and their football budgets to see how much they're paying per year (e.g. Appalachian State, that just went FBS). Looks like I'm a gonna go Google huntin'. :D

I'm curious if the $7.9m (then) or $8.5m (now) is realistic for housing a FBS program that would likely be relegated to an also-ran conference (e.g. MAC, AAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West) and have to travel more than they had in the past. 

BTW, I completely understand where you're coming from--I guess the question folks should ask is if Trev is the guy (and when they do their search, they may find he really isn't), has Trev learned from the mistakes and missteps with the UNO sports program debacles?  

Omaha-Husker    416
17 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Absolutely.  Not saying Trev is necessarily the guy for UNL, but UNO athletics in DII were in a bad spot financially.  Football was bleeding money and there was about no student engagement.  Anyone around the university now see a student body that feels like a college campus more than a commuter school, every classroom has people wearing gear with the O on it.  There is a pride developing in the student body.  Athletics wise hockey has been solid, men's soccer is ranked in the Top 25 and got as high as top 10 this year, basketball was a win away from the NCAA tourney and has beat the likes of Iowa and Marquette along the way.  All while transitioning to D-1.

There have been bumps, the wrestling was mishandled.  Although keeping it would have meant a 3rd conference affiliation to deal with.  There has also been pretty below average handling of season tickets.

Again, Trev hasn't been perfect, but the university and athletic department is in a vastly better spot than it was before the difficult decisions were made.  The takes by some of the online Husker writers about the Mavs have been really poorly developed.

gobiggergoredder    1,349

UNO Football was a joke.  In my opinion, the most underachieving program in DII year after year.  They would barely make play-offs or lose in the first round.  And as mentioned previously, no one went to any of the games.  Look what happened to the NCC.  Most of them went D1.  They never really did much in the MIAA.

I wonder if it was more about cutting the cord rather than money.  I still don't get cutting wrestling, but football made total sense to me.  Taking them to D1 would have been a huge drain.  Far more than any other sport.

StPaulHusker    4,855

Has anyone thought about what would happen to this program if we hired not one but 2 "Native Sons" to get Nebraska back and they failed?  And they had to be fired?

How much rope are you willing to give them?

How toxic this university might be to other coaches later on?

BigRedBuster    7,690
41 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Has anyone thought about what would happen to this program if we hired not one but 2 "Native Sons" to get Nebraska back and they failed?  And they had to be fired?

How much rope are you willing to give them?

How toxic this university might be to other coaches later on?

I saw or heard a quote from someone (I think an ex player) last night.  They claimed we should go after a "native son" because the fan base would be willing to give them more time to turn it around.

My reaction was....WTF????  Why should that matter?  If we have a really good coach and, unfortunately, it takes a little longer than we would like to get it turned around.....then that's what we should give them no matter if they are a "native son" or not....OR...we should be impatient as hell no matter what.

brophog    717
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I saw or heard a quote from someone (I think an ex player) last night.  They claimed we should go after a "native son" because the fan base would be willing to give them more time to turn it around.

My reaction was....WTF????  Why should that matter?  If we have a really good coach and, unfortunately, it takes a little longer than we would like to get it turned around.....then that's what we should give them no matter if they are a "native son" or not....OR...we should be impatient as hell no matter what.

I agree. You last as long as your promise of success allows....which is why Pelini got longer than Callahan and almost certainly Riley. All that native son talk changes the minute you take the job.

Because there is one universal rule of all leadership positions....someone is always complaining about them.

zoogs    6,245

This is not about conducting a national search. This is about bringing back a Nebraska guy like Trev or Dave Rimington. Someone who understands the culture.

Do a national search and end up with a guy who is approximately Eichorst.

@BigRedBuster, I'm with you. Why should that matter? But it does -- hugely. That's how we are. That appears to be the path we're going to take. But I don't know. Maybe they'll surprise!

fire mike    540
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because people naively think that if we bring back a native son, they will resort to winning the way Osborne did.

Don't get me wrong, I am all aboard the Frost train but not because I think he will magically be able to resurrect option football and lead us to a streak that is more impressive than current-day Alabama. Football has changed tremendously over the last 20+ years and Osborne's style of football would not be as successful today as it was then. I am looking for a coach to instill a fiery passion that comes with the brand of husker football, one that can compete for conference championships. If a team like Wisconsin can continue to enjoy the success they do, there is no reason why Nebraska cannot compete at that same level and I think a native son, who understands the culture, would get us to the Wisconsin level.

Judoka    138
15 hours ago, teachercd said:

The Wrestling Program ran on their own cash.  Denny is a decent guy and wrestling is a very tight group.  

The best way to describe Coach Denney is that he was the Osborne of wrestling at UNO.  When I was there in the mid/late 90s I helped him train his wrestlers in the  school Judo program that he taught.  Good times.  :thumbs

Mavric    9,824
Just now, NM11046 said:

I heard that they're considering bringing in Mike Rozier to be a consultant for the dining hall.

Would be better as a fashion consultant, IMO.  

NM11046    1,937
Just now, Mavric said:

Would be better as a fashion consultant, IMO.  

I heard that goes to Johnny Rogers.

Also, IM Hipp = dance squad.

GSG    5,717
2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I heard that goes to Johnny Rogers.

Also, IM Hipp = dance squad.

ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT ROZIER?

mike-rozier-heisman-1-530x466.jpg

getcontent.jpg

Cornhole    63
8 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

I'd be interested to see other FBS schools and their football budgets to see how much they're paying per year (e.g. Appalachian State, that just went FBS). Looks like I'm a gonna go Google huntin'. :D

I'm curious if the $7.9m (then) or $8.5m (now) is realistic for housing a FBS program that would likely be relegated to an also-ran conference (e.g. MAC, AAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West) and have to travel more than they had in the past. 

BTW, I completely understand where you're coming from--I guess the question folks should ask is if Trev is the guy (and when they do their search, they may find he really isn't), has Trev learned from the mistakes and missteps with the UNO sports program debacles?  

Well, they would have been FCS like South Dakota or South Dakota State.  I don't see how they could have made the jump from DII to FBS.  

I agree with your second point, and really that's what it comes down to. IMO, even if everything went smoothly at UNO, I just don't see how he can be the best guy Nebraska can get for the position.  If he is, I think that speaks volumes about where the athletic department is currently sitting.  I mean, he's only been an athletic director since 2009, and has he ever made a major football-related decision other than ending the program?  Besides being a former Husker, what makes him better than someone with more experience and success at a bigger school that actually has a football program?  We're talking about an athletic department that will be approaching $130M/year in revenue with full B1G rights - almost top ten in the country.  This is the big leagues, and we should treat it as such.  

Edison's Enemy    448

Omaha would have been FCS. If they played a couple FBS schools each year, they get a huge portion of their operating costs covered. They would have had to put more money into facilities, but I think they could have swung it.

The biggest reason there isn't a Mavericks football team is because there's a Huskers football team.

As far as Blais goes, it was a good hire at the time, and they got to the Frozen Four. Trev showed he isn't afraid to let a coach go when they're not up to snuff with Blais' subpar seasons the last couple years.

That could be seen as good or bad, depending on how you look at it. Either way, I would have preferred to see how the new hire does before taking Trev on. Unfortunately, that's not an option.

The basketball team is starting to gain a little steam, which is nice. Sharing a city with Creighton isn't easy, especially when you're in the Summit League. But they're holding their own, and the crowds have been respectable.

A couple more seasons of pushing for the conference championship/making the tourney, and I think the Baxter could get the lower bowl filled. They just have to move that stupid huge curtain and get a better pre-game.

Here's a (not so) bold prediction: I think Omaha wins an NCAA tourney game before Nebraska does.

alwayshusking    673

Really comes down to him making good hires. If he can do that he'd make a good AD. He can have guys below him work on the budget.

Making good hires in FB and MBB makes it all go. Make sure the coaches are happy and have what they need to succeed. Have some personality, be able to talk to boosters and media.

Toe    445
10 hours ago, zoogs said:

This is not about conducting a national search. This is about bringing back a Nebraska guy like Trev or Dave Rimington. Someone who understands the culture.

Steve Pederson was supposed to be a Nebraska guy who understood the culture. You can be 'a Nebraska guy' and still be an a-hole that doesn't really get it.

VectorVictor    1,816
19 hours ago, Cornhole said:

Well, they would have been FCS like South Dakota or South Dakota State.  I don't see how they could have made the jump from DII to FBS.  

I agree with your second point, and really that's what it comes down to. IMO, even if everything went smoothly at UNO, I just don't see how he can be the best guy Nebraska can get for the position.  If he is, I think that speaks volumes about where the athletic department is currently sitting.  I mean, he's only been an athletic director since 2009, and has he ever made a major football-related decision other than ending the program?  Besides being a former Husker, what makes him better than someone with more experience and success at a bigger school that actually has a football program?  We're talking about an athletic department that will be approaching $130M/year in revenue with full B1G rights - almost top ten in the country.  This is the big leagues, and we should treat it as such.  

Couldn't agree more. And as I copped to earlier in the thread, I really did mess up in starting this thread by not highlighting the news that I heard--not that Trev was the proverbial comparison object,  but that the University was going to do a full-fledged search.  

Frankly, considering we have a mega-thread for the AD search now and the University already announced that they're doing a legit search, we should really just shut this thread down or merge it with the other one IMO. 

BigRedBuster    7,690
1 minute ago, Sker4Ever said:

Very interesting that there is very little by the way of news regarding the AD hire. Being kept rather quiet

Not surprised at all.  An AD search typically isn't something that is as public and full of leaks as a head coaching position.

ColoradoHusk    3,810
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not surprised at all.  An AD search typically isn't something that is as public and full of leaks as a head coaching position.

Agree 100%  Especially with the search firm involved where they can do contacting on behalf of Bounds and Green to gauge interest and do initial screenings of potential candidates.