RUMOR--Trev Alberts for AD

Got this from friends that work at one of the major papers in Nebraska. A full-fledged search will be conducted, but Trev is the proverbial apple of their eye. 

Not much of a stretch as a rumor I know...but the fact that the chattycathys of this paper are all going ape caca over this makes me think someone over there knows something already. 

Regardless, just passing on what I heard, and if I'm wrong, go relegate me to Shaggybevo or some other trash board. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, tfree32 said:

If Trev is the best guy, fine. But let's conduct an actual national search and figure that out. Enough with the boosters shortcircuiting the process.

I couldn't agree more, and I should have emphasized that the good part of this rumor isn't the Trev bit (well, it is, but that's easy enough to call)--it's that the University is conducting a full-fledged search and looking at multiple candidates...even if they have one they favor.  

• Plus1 1

And hopefully the full fledged search occurs with the HC.    I know we have to wait for the new AD, but I hope behind the scenes boasters are reaching out to potential new HCs and greasing the track to Lincoln - to get them thinking of the possibilities of resurrecting the program here.

Well, and how many hot takes did we see from the local media when Trev was hired at UNO saying that the UNO AD gig was a test/stepping stone for Trev getting the AD chair at DoNU?  

I understand that some UNO alum may have a problem with Trev being our AD, but I think the positives way outweigh the negatives if Trev is indeed the new AD for DoNU. 

17 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Well, and how many hot takes did we see from the local media when Trev was hired at UNO saying that the UNO AD gig was a test/stepping stone for Trev getting the AD chair at DoNU?  

I understand that some UNO alum may have a problem with Trev being our AD, but I think the positives way outweigh the negatives if Trev is indeed the new AD for DoNU. 

His D1 bet hasn't paid off yet and UNO is financially stretched right now. I don't think Trev has done anything at UNO to make him ready for a bump to UNL. 

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, theknife said:

His D1 bet hasn't paid off yet and UNO is financially stretched right now. I don't think Trev has done anything at UNO to make him ready for a bump to UNL. 

D1 bets don't typically pay off right away...and honestly, the hockey team has done rather well, all things considered. 

Just now, VectorVictor said:

D1 bets don't typically pay off right away...and honestly, the hockey team has done rather well, all things considered. 

I think the move to D1 has been good for the University.  Their men's basketball program was a win away from being in the NCAA Tournament last year.  The baseball program won their conference 2 years ago (although Herold was fired after this past year).  I think being in D1 athletics has been a benefit for the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the move to D1 has been good for the University.  Their men's basketball program was a win away from being in the NCAA Tournament last year.  The baseball program won their conference 2 years ago (although Herold was fired after this past year).  I think being in D1 athletics has been a benefit for the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

Looking into what TheKnife said, it does appear UNO is having some funding issues switching to D1. But it also that while some of this was expected, there were some other mitigating factors that weren't expected that depleted revenue. 

I don't know if it's fair to pin UNO's fiscal issues squarely on Trev and the 'bet' on moving to D1. UNO was going to move to D1 at some point, and probably should have years sooner. But I don't know if it's realistic for UNO to expect to be able to move to D1 with a football team in tow.