RUMOR--Trev Alberts for AD

2 hours ago, Sparker said:

Anybody care to share the background of this? I don't follow the UNO athletic department happenings.

Everyone should read the article below before becoming excited about the prospect of Trev as AD (there was also an excellent ESPN Outside the Lines report that I can't find anymore).  It wasn't just the athletic department that was disrespected.  I was attending UNO at the time and the student body, along with big-time boosters like Deeb, never received any answers to our questions.  He could not have handled the situation with more callousness or indifference.    

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6488960

Beyond that major screwup, I don't see how he can be the most qualified person for this job, and I would be extremely disappointed if he's hired.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Cornhole said:

Everyone should read the article below before becoming excited about the prospect of Trev as AD (there was also an excellent ESPN Outside the Lines report that I can't find anymore).  It wasn't just the athletic department that was disrespected.  I was attending UNO at the time and the student body, along with big-time boosters like Deeb, never received any answers to our questions.  He could not have handled the situation with more callousness or indifference.    

Beyond that major screwup, I don't see how he can be the most qualified person for this job, and I would be extremely disappointed if he's hired.  

Man, I have a short memory. I do remember some of this now. I never saw direct quotes from those affected, though.

2 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

I do remember that fiasco, now that you mention it. That would sour me on anything Trev-related were I directly involved. 

Yeah...for 3 days lots of people pretended like they all of a sudden loved UNO wrestling and UNO football.

I have a buddy that was going into his senior year and playing for UNO at the time...he HATES Trev...he wrote "f#*k TREV" on the marker board when he was leaving the locker room and he still has a locker room chair that he stole.  He will always hate Trev.  But it is not like anyone really went to the games or cared about it.

The Wrestling Program ran on their own cash.  Denny is a decent guy and wrestling is a very tight group.  With that said (and I am a former wrestling coach) I can't name one person that I haver ever known that went to a UNO meet.  I never went and we got in for free.

One BBall appearance in the Big Dance is better than championships in the lower level sports.  Sadly.

2 hours ago, Cornhole said:

From the article it said that the football program was getting $1.2 M from student fees and university funds from an athletic dept. total of $5.9 M or 20%.  To keep wrestling and football they would need to increase that to $7.9M.  Seems expensive to me.  The wrestling program was successful in D2 but I don't know how that would translate to D1 and if it would have been a money maker.  Some things are suspicious like the consulting and the decision might have been rushed.  Execution and timing of the decision was cold.  Overall sounds like a tough choice had to be made and people came up with reasons to quibble.  Am I missing something?

6 hours ago, theknife said:

His D1 bet hasn't paid off yet and UNO is financially stretched right now. I don't think Trev has done anything at UNO to make him ready for a bump to UNL. 

The basketball team was a shot away from the tournament last year, and the hockey team has a new arena and made the Frozen Four.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

From the article it said that the football program was getting $1.2 M from student fees and university funds from an athletic dept. total of $5.9 M or 20%.  To keep wrestling and football they would need to increase that to $7.9M.  Seems expensive to me.  The wrestling program was successful in D2 but I don't know how that would translate to D1 and if it would have been a money maker.  Some things are suspicious like the consulting and the decision might have been rushed.  Execution and timing of the decision was cold.  Overall sounds like a tough choice had to be made and people came up with reasons to quibble.  Am I missing something?

A couple things: Given the way everyone reacted, they could have raised millions of dollars to save the programs and easily made up the $2M per year gap but Trev wouldn't even give them a shot.  The only reason wrestling was a money maker was because it was funded almost exclusively from outside sources.  Denney must have been a fundraising machine.  I remember hearing that the wrestling program received the same amount of funding from UNO per year the day Coach Denney started as the day Trev axed it; something like $25,000 a year.  Peanuts!    There were also discussions about how wrestling could have possibly stayed DII, but I don't know the details about that.  Trev basically didn't give anyone a chance to work anything out.    

He claims UNO couldn't afford $7.9M but UNO now pays $8.5M and just raised student fees.  (see: http://www.omaha.com/news/education/uno-looks-at-cuts-fee-increases-wage-freezes-to-balance/article_13e7f7a4-196c-5d28-abd3-9e958b2b7d02.html).  Granted, part of that is for Baxter, but it still is a bad look.  Either the finances at the UNO athletic department aren't great (which makes the decision to go DI in the first place questionable, at least right now) or the finances are fine and the school could have afforded the $7.9M.  

F&*K Trev. 

Unrelated, but nice article after Denney won coach of the year for all divisions over Cael Sanderson.  Probably a sympathy vote but still.  http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/8337

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Cornhole said:

He claims UNO couldn't afford $7.9M but UNO now pays $8.5M and just raised student fees.  (see: http://www.omaha.com/news/education/uno-looks-at-cuts-fee-increases-wage-freezes-to-balance/article_13e7f7a4-196c-5d28-abd3-9e958b2b7d02.html).  Granted, part of that is for Baxter, but it still is a bad look.  Either the finances at the UNO athletic department aren't great (which makes the decision to go DI in the first place questionable, at least right now) or the finances are fine and the school could have afforded the $7.9M.  

I'd be interested to see other FBS schools and their football budgets to see how much they're paying per year (e.g. Appalachian State, that just went FBS). Looks like I'm a gonna go Google huntin'. :D

I'm curious if the $7.9m (then) or $8.5m (now) is realistic for housing a FBS program that would likely be relegated to an also-ran conference (e.g. MAC, AAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West) and have to travel more than they had in the past. 

BTW, I completely understand where you're coming from--I guess the question folks should ask is if Trev is the guy (and when they do their search, they may find he really isn't), has Trev learned from the mistakes and missteps with the UNO sports program debacles?  

17 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the move to D1 has been good for the University.  Their men's basketball program was a win away from being in the NCAA Tournament last year.  The baseball program won their conference 2 years ago (although Herold was fired after this past year).  I think being in D1 athletics has been a benefit for the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

Absolutely.  Not saying Trev is necessarily the guy for UNL, but UNO athletics in DII were in a bad spot financially.  Football was bleeding money and there was about no student engagement.  Anyone around the university now see a student body that feels like a college campus more than a commuter school, every classroom has people wearing gear with the O on it.  There is a pride developing in the student body.  Athletics wise hockey has been solid, men's soccer is ranked in the Top 25 and got as high as top 10 this year, basketball was a win away from the NCAA tourney and has beat the likes of Iowa and Marquette along the way.  All while transitioning to D-1.

There have been bumps, the wrestling was mishandled.  Although keeping it would have meant a 3rd conference affiliation to deal with.  There has also been pretty below average handling of season tickets.

Again, Trev hasn't been perfect, but the university and athletic department is in a vastly better spot than it was before the difficult decisions were made.  The takes by some of the online Husker writers about the Mavs have been really poorly developed.

UNO Football was a joke.  In my opinion, the most underachieving program in DII year after year.  They would barely make play-offs or lose in the first round.  And as mentioned previously, no one went to any of the games.  Look what happened to the NCC.  Most of them went D1.  They never really did much in the MIAA.

I wonder if it was more about cutting the cord rather than money.  I still don't get cutting wrestling, but football made total sense to me.  Taking them to D1 would have been a huge drain.  Far more than any other sport.

41 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Has anyone thought about what would happen to this program if we hired not one but 2 "Native Sons" to get Nebraska back and they failed?  And they had to be fired?

How much rope are you willing to give them?

How toxic this university might be to other coaches later on?

I saw or heard a quote from someone (I think an ex player) last night.  They claimed we should go after a "native son" because the fan base would be willing to give them more time to turn it around.

My reaction was....WTF????  Why should that matter?  If we have a really good coach and, unfortunately, it takes a little longer than we would like to get it turned around.....then that's what we should give them no matter if they are a "native son" or not....OR...we should be impatient as hell no matter what.