RUMOR--Trev Alberts for AD

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I saw or heard a quote from someone (I think an ex player) last night.  They claimed we should go after a "native son" because the fan base would be willing to give them more time to turn it around.

My reaction was....WTF????  Why should that matter?  If we have a really good coach and, unfortunately, it takes a little longer than we would like to get it turned around.....then that's what we should give them no matter if they are a "native son" or not....OR...we should be impatient as hell no matter what.

I agree. You last as long as your promise of success allows....which is why Pelini got longer than Callahan and almost certainly Riley. All that native son talk changes the minute you take the job.

Because there is one universal rule of all leadership positions....someone is always complaining about them.

This is not about conducting a national search. This is about bringing back a Nebraska guy like Trev or Dave Rimington. Someone who understands the culture.

Do a national search and end up with a guy who is approximately Eichorst.

@BigRedBuster, I'm with you. Why should that matter? But it does -- hugely. That's how we are. That appears to be the path we're going to take. But I don't know. Maybe they'll surprise!

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I saw or heard a quote from someone (I think an ex player) last night.  They claimed we should go after a "native son" because the fan base would be willing to give them more time to turn it around.

My reaction was....WTF????  Why should that matter?  If we have a really good coach and, unfortunately, it takes a little longer than we would like to get it turned around.....then that's what we should give them no matter if they are a "native son" or not....OR...we should be impatient as hell no matter what.

Because people naively think that if we bring back a native son, they will resort to winning the way Osborne did.

Don't get me wrong, I am all aboard the Frost train but not because I think he will magically be able to resurrect option football and lead us to a streak that is more impressive than current-day Alabama. Football has changed tremendously over the last 20+ years and Osborne's style of football would not be as successful today as it was then. I am looking for a coach to instill a fiery passion that comes with the brand of husker football, one that can compete for conference championships. If a team like Wisconsin can continue to enjoy the success they do, there is no reason why Nebraska cannot compete at that same level and I think a native son, who understands the culture, would get us to the Wisconsin level.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, teachercd said:

The Wrestling Program ran on their own cash.  Denny is a decent guy and wrestling is a very tight group.  

The best way to describe Coach Denney is that he was the Osborne of wrestling at UNO.  When I was there in the mid/late 90s I helped him train his wrestlers in the  school Judo program that he taught.  Good times.  :thumbs

8 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

I'd be interested to see other FBS schools and their football budgets to see how much they're paying per year (e.g. Appalachian State, that just went FBS). Looks like I'm a gonna go Google huntin'. :D

I'm curious if the $7.9m (then) or $8.5m (now) is realistic for housing a FBS program that would likely be relegated to an also-ran conference (e.g. MAC, AAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West) and have to travel more than they had in the past. 

BTW, I completely understand where you're coming from--I guess the question folks should ask is if Trev is the guy (and when they do their search, they may find he really isn't), has Trev learned from the mistakes and missteps with the UNO sports program debacles?  

Well, they would have been FCS like South Dakota or South Dakota State.  I don't see how they could have made the jump from DII to FBS.  

I agree with your second point, and really that's what it comes down to. IMO, even if everything went smoothly at UNO, I just don't see how he can be the best guy Nebraska can get for the position.  If he is, I think that speaks volumes about where the athletic department is currently sitting.  I mean, he's only been an athletic director since 2009, and has he ever made a major football-related decision other than ending the program?  Besides being a former Husker, what makes him better than someone with more experience and success at a bigger school that actually has a football program?  We're talking about an athletic department that will be approaching $130M/year in revenue with full B1G rights - almost top ten in the country.  This is the big leagues, and we should treat it as such.  

Omaha would have been FCS. If they played a couple FBS schools each year, they get a huge portion of their operating costs covered. They would have had to put more money into facilities, but I think they could have swung it.

The biggest reason there isn't a Mavericks football team is because there's a Huskers football team.

As far as Blais goes, it was a good hire at the time, and they got to the Frozen Four. Trev showed he isn't afraid to let a coach go when they're not up to snuff with Blais' subpar seasons the last couple years.

That could be seen as good or bad, depending on how you look at it. Either way, I would have preferred to see how the new hire does before taking Trev on. Unfortunately, that's not an option.

The basketball team is starting to gain a little steam, which is nice. Sharing a city with Creighton isn't easy, especially when you're in the Summit League. But they're holding their own, and the crowds have been respectable.

A couple more seasons of pushing for the conference championship/making the tourney, and I think the Baxter could get the lower bowl filled. They just have to move that stupid huge curtain and get a better pre-game.

Here's a (not so) bold prediction: I think Omaha wins an NCAA tourney game before Nebraska does.

10 hours ago, zoogs said:

This is not about conducting a national search. This is about bringing back a Nebraska guy like Trev or Dave Rimington. Someone who understands the culture.

Steve Pederson was supposed to be a Nebraska guy who understood the culture. You can be 'a Nebraska guy' and still be an a-hole that doesn't really get it.

• Plus1 4
19 hours ago, Cornhole said:

Well, they would have been FCS like South Dakota or South Dakota State.  I don't see how they could have made the jump from DII to FBS.  

I agree with your second point, and really that's what it comes down to. IMO, even if everything went smoothly at UNO, I just don't see how he can be the best guy Nebraska can get for the position.  If he is, I think that speaks volumes about where the athletic department is currently sitting.  I mean, he's only been an athletic director since 2009, and has he ever made a major football-related decision other than ending the program?  Besides being a former Husker, what makes him better than someone with more experience and success at a bigger school that actually has a football program?  We're talking about an athletic department that will be approaching $130M/year in revenue with full B1G rights - almost top ten in the country.  This is the big leagues, and we should treat it as such.  

Couldn't agree more. And as I copped to earlier in the thread, I really did mess up in starting this thread by not highlighting the news that I heard--not that Trev was the proverbial comparison object,  but that the University was going to do a full-fledged search.  

Frankly, considering we have a mega-thread for the AD search now and the University already announced that they're doing a legit search, we should really just shut this thread down or merge it with the other one IMO.