Two things to avoid now

Hans Gruber

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I'd love Nebraska guys at the helm.  IF they are the best qualified.  As it relates to a POSSIBLE new HC.  Get one who understands the culture of NU.  One who has or been a part of a definitive and clear cut scheme.  One that DEMANDS accountability from his players and staff....

It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out in the coming weeks.  

A tell, IMO, will be do the kids come out playing like they are on fire to try and "save" Riley or do they continue the same level of play we have witnessed.  Not that this would be a declaration on their opinion of firing/keeping, but more indicative of being ambivalent.... 

First thing is, you are right we have no culture right now and we better get someone who can cut through the crap

and second (not necessarily towards your post but seemly a few in this tread) tell me when throwing money at a problem actually fixed the problem, it might help sometimes but the real issue is the culture of the University- it has been pretty bad over the years, TO tried to "fix" that a few times but with a tainthead like Perlman in at the helm and half of the regents lobotomized it was hard to do- Bounds and Green seem to be no BS - energy bus sort of guys who might understand what it would take to get the "culture" back at Nebraska.

Even with an egotistical a-hole like Alvarez leading the Wisconsin department, they've managed to not upset their identity (stolen from us years ago) and without better recruits manage to be in the hunt every year-  We need to get back to basic Husker culture which includes hard nosed players that will work their asses off, and include an effort to recruit to that culture and whatever scheme we end up running 

This move was made to get an AD with some vision.  Whether thats Trev or who ever, this allows that person to conduct a thorough search during the season, and once the regular season is over hire the RIGHT guy.  Who knows right now who that guy is though.  I believe that we do need some form of tradition restored.  I think that can only happen with Huskers at the helm.  Alberts and Frost.  I think we bring in some other former players and coaches to get this thing rolling again.  We have those players and ex-coaches that can revive this program and restore some order.  Go get Turner back as our associate head coach.  ETC.

I am not a debbiedowner, but what we see our program as and national perception is way different.  Its going to take someone, a one of a kind like guy to come here and repair this program.  Who is that guy?  Beats me, but its more than likely someome that has a vested interest from the start.  Either AD or HC.  Were a spoiled rotten fan base.  Expectations are almost over the top.  Eichorst being removed is the start. Finding his replacement is key.  If we get Trev, then I am pretty sure we head towards Frost as our next coach.  I think we are going back to tradition.  Restoring our program from the ground up once again.  I think TO will offer that as his advice.  We have tried nearly everything else and it hasn't worked out.

10 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

I think firing Eichorst was the right step, but that's the first step of many. The rest of the steps are just as important as the first. Here are two things to avoid in those steps.

1) Avoid Les Miles like the plague. He's 63 and will bring most of the same problems Riley has. Sure he may be "better" than Riley but that's like being the thinnest kid at fat camp. Nebraska should strive for higher standards. Remember that Purdue and Minnesota had no interest in hiring Les.

2) Don't just decide to hire Trev Alberts. Please do an actual search for an AD. If Trev has a great interview, a great vision for the future, and has a plan to achieve that vision, then you can hire him. But don't just hire him because he played for Nebraska and is in state. Try to hire the best of the best.

Smartest remarks I heard all day!

6 hours ago, FearAmeer said:

I'm sick of people saying our expectations are over the top. Expecting to occasionally make a big ten championship and be competitive in every game is NOT high expectations. 

I don't think that expectations are over the top, but that is the perception from the outside.  2 out of the last 3 head Coaches fired after 9-win seasons.  One of those guys averaging 9 wins per..  The other spent around 30 years dedicated to the university.  It takes a HUGE EGO to be the guy to come in and think he won't have a problem keeping the job.