Shawn Eichorst/Mike Riley positive achievements thread

18 hours ago, Landlord said:

Mike Riley isn't fired yet so it'd be decent of us to not talk about him like he has been. That said, he has been a great ambassador for Nebraska - the best we've had in any sport since Osborne, I think. He's embraced all of the best things about our program, including the fanbase, with optimism and energy and unbelievable class.

Eichorst seemed to take his job very seriously and professionally. Bo and his players didn't seem to like him as a lawyers/numbers guy or someone cold and distant, but it seems that's just because Eichorst likes to run an AD like a business rather than like a father/mentor. He was always polite and considerate with the media and the public, and even if the Riley hire was a mistake, I think he's handled every situation of "should I fire or not fire this coach" extremely well. He's also done a great job with fiscal responsibility, opening up the checkbook in ways previously never seen at Nebraska, and pushing to expand and grow all of the life skills/academic support sort of areas of support for the student athletes.

Well said.

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I saw Eichorst once. He greeted a couple players by first name and they were all talling to each other like they were buddies.

It's just an anecdote, but I think his aloofness is overstated.

Many people formed their opinion on him based on the words of a mad man who had just been fired by him.

Another anecdote:
Capture.JPG.cce7e19b90e1363447d275facc8eb4a5.JPG

• 6 months later...

The Eichorst era led to us hiring a guy that tanked a program in 3 years, just long enough for us to find a REAL Athletic Director and hire the best up and coming coach in the country, and a UNL Alum, Scott Frost.  So really, W-L record aside, their regime is what got us back on track.......even if they had to sacrifice their own jobs and reputations to do it.  What noble men they are!

Never have I heard of Callahan, Riley or Eichorst make the statement they hated any part of Nebraska.  We tend to dislike people that worked here because things did not turn out right or the way we wanted.   Yet the one a$$ hole that continously badmouthed Nebraska between his non hirement and his eventual hiring.  Did what ever he could to torpedo the program, then becomes the head coach and leads us to some of the worst blow outs in our history and tells the fan base how bad they are and how glad he would be to move on.  Sometimes I guess it is hard to tell what a snake is laying in the road.

I have no hate for the three mentioned, but the fourth one can not lick the bottom of the others shoes in my opinion.  Poison from day one and there was never a better day for Nebraska than when he was shown the door.

Three gave a lot to this program and left graciously.  The other was a richard from day one and still is today.

Edited by skersfan
  • Plus1 5