Shawn Eichorst/Mike Riley positive achievements thread

1 hour ago, skersfan said:

Never have I heard of Callahan, Riley or Eichorst make the statement they hated any part of Nebraska.  We tend to dislike people that worked here because things did not turn out right or the way we wanted.   Yet the one a$$ hole that continously badmouthed Nebraska between his non hirement and his eventual hiring.  Did what ever he could to torpedo the program, then becomes the head coach and leads us to some of the worst blow outs in our history and tells the fan base how bad they are and how glad he would be to move on.  Sometimes I guess it is hard to tell what a snake is laying in the road.

I have no hate for the three mentioned, but the fourth one can not lick the bottom of the others shoes in my opinion.  Poison from day one and there was never a better day for Nebraska than when he was shown the door.

Three gave a lot to this program and left graciously.  The other was a richard from day one and still is today.

you might hate him, but the dude could coach a D. Twice he took disastrous Husker defenses to #1 nationally.

And he was for real, and a couple others mentioned were not.

Like if I had a "Fraud" meter Pelini would be below the others you mentioned.

Raging a-hole yes, and inappropriate, yes.

• Plus1 2
20 hours ago, skersfan said:

Never have I heard of Callahan, Riley or Eichorst make the statement they hated any part of Nebraska.  We tend to dislike people that worked here because things did not turn out right or the way we wanted.   Yet the one a$$ hole that continously badmouthed Nebraska between his non hirement and his eventual hiring.  Did what ever he could to torpedo the program, then becomes the head coach and leads us to some of the worst blow outs in our history and tells the fan base how bad they are and how glad he would be to move on.  Sometimes I guess it is hard to tell what a snake is laying in the road.

I have no hate for the three mentioned, but the fourth one can not lick the bottom of the others shoes in my opinion.  Poison from day one and there was never a better day for Nebraska than when he was shown the door.

Three gave a lot to this program and left graciously.  The other was a richard from day one and still is today.

Perlman "highly disliked" the prominent role football played in the branding of DONU.

Who cares about whether Riley, Callahan, or Eichorst made any statements about "not hating" Nebraska?  Each of the hires were by men trying to make their own ego bigger than Nebraska football.

16 minutes ago, skersfan said:

And Pelini wasn't?  seriously Sker.

You’ve had this narrative for years, I mean YEARS on this board that Pelini “burned it down on his way out”.  

I remember the speech to the players at a high school auditorium and all, but you seem to indicate that you know some other info about his exit that was so poisonous and and actually set the program back...yet you’ve never really expounded that info.  

Wouls like to hear an anecdote to confirm your thoughts on this burning by Pelini. (I was ready for him to leave after he chased his CB all over the sideline against Wisconsin for 8 straight minutes til the kid buried his head defeated. So I’m no Pelini apologist, just wondering how you bring this up so often) 

Edited by I am I
  • Plus1 1

Some people can't do the job for different reasons.  The first three were in it for themselves I agree, and I agree they failed on the football side.  Eichorst supposedly did a good job with the other sports, but for me that is hearsay.  Pelini was never about Nebraska.  He was 100% about Pelini.  

If he truly was this great defensive coach, then why hasn't he been hired by a major program?  He hasn't, and I don't even think he has had a sniff at one.  Doubt he ever will, he really should not be representing anyone as far as I am concerned.  

• Plus1 1

No sniff based on what? The coaching circle is actually very tight and very small. Is there something they all know (and won’t give him a P5 job) that you and the rest of them know that we don’t? Serious question 

Edited by I am I

My dislike for the man, was for his actions prior to him coming back.  His departure the first time, and all the problems he caused the Callahan staff (Nebraska, the team I support).  Snake then to me.  

They knew exactly what was coming when they fired him, that is why he was not allowed to speak to the team on campus.  

Nothing good about either one to me.

Harvey Perlman didn't "Like" Pelini and didn't know how to deal with him so instead of hiring a competent AD like Moos, for instance, to try to straighten things out, he brought in Eichorst to fire Pelini.  I thought Pelini was a good enough football COACH , to try to work with him on his other issues .

Eichorst then compounded that error by hiring Mediocre Mike , who was a nice guy, but a lousy coach. The worst three years of Husker football i can remember, ensued. 

Basically glad the whole ordeal is over and very exited that we finally have the right coach and AD in place things are looking up . GBR

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Nothing good about either one to me.

Harvey Perlman didn't "Like" Pelini and didn't know how to deal with him so instead of hiring a competent AD like Moos, for instance, to try to straighten things out, he brought in Eichorst to fire Pelini.  I thought Pelini was a good enough football COACH , to try to work with him on his other issues .

SE and HP deserve their fair share of criticism and I will rarely defend them on football-related issues, but, even TO couldn't keep a cap on Pelini's outbursts. The tirade against Taylor Martinez at A&M was in 2010. The fair weather fan outburst was in 2011. The time Pelini hit/didn't hit a ref with his hat was in SE's first year - 2013.

BP deserves some criticism for why his tenure was ultimately unsuccessful.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

SE and HP deserve their fair share of criticism and I will rarely defend them on football-related issues, but, even TO couldn't keep a cap on Pelini's outbursts. The tirade against Taylor Martinez at A&M was in 2010. The fair weather fan outburst was in 2011. The time Pelini hit/didn't hit a ref with his hat was in SE's first year - 2013.

BP deserves some criticism for why his tenure was ultimately unsuccessful.

I agree Pelini went too far,(several times)  and i'd forgotten TO's attempts to rein him in . In my  life though  i've seen some pretty bad employees turned around, through proper management, and i after hearing Moos talk i wondered if a strong personality/steady hand like him would have worked better.. I think personal issues between SE,HP, and BP actually made things worse.

Edited by Big Red 40
31 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I think personal issues between SE,HP, and BP actually made things worse.

I'm 100% certain that was the case. I remember a lot of rumors that BP could never track SE down for a conversation or to really talk about anything.

• Plus1 1