Why would you fire your Athletic Director in September?

knapplc

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Sometime around the end of November we'll learn Riley's fate.  If there's an amazing hire and it isn't someone not going to a bowl or not Jon Gruden, we may not know who will replace Riley until January.

Will Jon's son Deuce be our new strength coach? ;)

DCsfDocV0AIrbq5.jpg

Well stated Knapp.  This puts some hope back into my steps.  I always wanted MR, the Nice One, to succeed, but in the back of my mind I knew he wasn't the one to bring us back to where we need to be.  Starting in Sept means that the administration finally has said enough. Enough of the past 16 years, enough of selling the program, the fans, and the players short.  With this bold move, I suspect they are ready and willing to spend the money on a top notch coach. It is pay me now with a great coach or later with all of these buyouts.  Time to stop the revolving door, get a coach who has the proven record to sustain success and enjoy long term success here at NU. 

• Plus1 1

Agree with everything but this:

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Sometime around the end of November we'll learn Riley's fate.  If there's an amazing hire and it isn't someone not going to a bowl or not Jon Gruden, we may not know who will replace Riley until January.

Why will we have to wait until January?  Head coaches in middling bowl games leave there teams all the time for a new job.  And assistant coaches hired as head coaches do double duty during bowl games (see Pelini, Bo).

5 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Spot on Knapp!

This is about righting the entire ship. They wouldn't make this move unless they already had a plan in place.

Color me skeptical about the plan in place.  Maybe I wouldn't be if we haven't been here before.  Unfortunately, we have.  It was right at a decade ago.  There's just three weeks that separates on the calendar that firing and this one. 

7 minutes ago, Fru said:

The last 16 years haven't been the most enjoyable as a fan. But they sure haven't been boring. 

I'd take boring over all of the friggin drama. If I don't have to see another article about our coach acting up or will a coach be able to turn things around, I'll be happy. This is football not some damn soap opera.