Why would you fire your Athletic Director in September?

knapplc

2. His communication with the media was inconsistent and reactive. More importantly, how did he connect with coaches? Remember the audit that was done of the athletic department? Coaches didn’t always feel their input or insight was valued. Eichorst put a significant premium on the “student-athlete experience.” He gave the athletes laptops and post-graduation opportunities. He emphasized recruiting elite kids. But the functioning paradigm of college sports still revolves around the coaches. Maybe, some argue, it shouldn’t — maybe it should be more about athletes, and maybe they should get paid. But it isn’t, and they don’t, and Eichorst struggled to connect.

3. Don’t underestimate the Black Friday flip-flop. That one looked bad. Really bad: One NU administrator described it to me as “shooting our foot off.” Nebraska essentially embraced not playing on Black Friday anymore on one Tuesday, then Eichorst reversed course by Thursday, calling it a clarification. Now, Iowa and Wisconsin are likely headed to that Black Friday game and NU is relegated to playing Minnesota. Eichorst looked like a politician on those two different days. He admitted he made a mistake, but it was an unforced error.

OWH

• Plus1 1

Can somebody in the know tell me how this type of decision is reached?  I know Greene made announcement, but who was part of the discussion?  Other UNL executives?  Prime boosters?   Does anyone know the actual mechanism that precedes such an announcement?

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The search - they made the decision yesterday to fire Eichorst. They started the search for his successor hours ago.  Literally.

They're asking Tom Osborne for his opinion. 

At work here...is this info from the Press conference?

They just said they are using a search firm and want to hired the most qualified individual possible.  I think they are ready to open up the check book finally and get the best in order to be the best.  The press conference - they are sharing the deep desire to be competitive in all sports and to raise the standard throughout. 

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The search - they made the decision yesterday to fire Eichorst. They started the search for his successor hours ago.  Literally.

They're asking Tom Osborne for his opinion. 

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/nebraska-fires-athletic-director-shawn-eichorst/article_1b6aad3e-9ef7-11e7-9125-1fa725e43b35.html

Osborne chuckled when asked whether he’d been asked to step in as interim athletic director, which is just what he did a decade ago when Nebraska fired then-Athletic Director Steve Pederson.

“I think I’ve aged out,” he said. “I’m quite certain at this point that I wouldn’t be in the picture and wouldn’t want to be in the picture at this point.”

He also said he doesn’t expect to have a say in who the new athletic director is, but said he would always be willing to help out in any way. “I don’t think I should necessarily be included at all,” he said. “I would do anything I can to help.”

9 minutes ago, huskerfan69 said:

IMO, the only reason to make this move so early is:

1. Osborne said Frost is ready to come here

or

2. we're finally ready to spend the big bucks to get a real coach. (stoops, kelly, les)

What's the fascination with Les Miles? He's a coach in his 60s that has been on the decline, no thanks.

His best years are over just like Riley's.

• Plus1 7