Why would you fire your Athletic Director in September?

knapplc

31 minutes ago, dtbugeater said:

Everyone who is pumped about the talk about winning needs to remember that Sean used similar words when firing bo. 

I also like it, but talk is cheap. 

SE was full of s#!t when he said it. Nothing he ever did at Nebraska showed he cared about W/L records, especially firing Bo and replacing him with Riley.

• Plus1 3

I'm more interested in the fact it's a Thursday, rather than it being September. Because if this were Monday, every question to Riley is about whether he's next. Thursday, however, means he doesn't really face that until after a game against a weak opponent.....and an impressive performance would defray a lot of those questions. 

6 minutes ago, RunMickeyRun02 said:

Why Thursday? Why not Monday? 

You try not to fire someone on a Monday, it's always better to do it at the end of the week. The question isn't why not Monday, it's why not Friday. I have to imagine this will be less of a distraction for Riley and the team with a day to process the news.

• Plus1 1
Just now, RunMickeyRun02 said:

knapplc excellent explanaion as I expected but I have two unanswered questions after the press conference:

Why Thursday? Why not Monday? 

Will the interm AD have the power to hire and fire? 

Why today & not Monday?  Maybe the conference room they used for the presser was booked until today?  :D  But seriously, that's a good question.  They said they made their decision yesterday, but there's no way the thought to fire Eichorst just occurred to them randomly on a Wednesday.  My guess, they were talking with Riley, talking with Eichorst, talking with Regents & boosters, hiring a search firm and making sure they had all their stuff lined up before taking this step.  It took a few days, and here we are. 

If that's the case (and they didn't truly just wake up on Wednesday & decide to fire him) that's a great sign. It means they're being careful and deliberate and making sure of their steps before moving forward.  It means some of the more knee-jerk decisions we've made in the past 20 years may not be repeated.  They may still make a mistake in their hiring, but they're going to do proper due diligence before they hire somebody, and that's a good first step.

Will the interim have the power to hire & fire?  Probably, but only in extreme situations and only after consulting with Bounds & Green, I'm sure.  Pretty unlikely any coaches are removed until the new AD is in place.

• Plus1 3

Green and Bounds met on Wednesday to discuss, and informed Eichorst Thursday morning.  Maybe they were busy with other things on those days, and couldn't meet until Wednesday to make the official decision.  I also think that waiting until Thursday takes some pressure off this being a "football decision" and a knee-jerk reaction to the NIU loss, even though it's still a football decision.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Branno said:

You try not to fire someone on a Monday, it's always better to do it at the end of the week. The question isn't why not Monday, it's why not Friday. I have to imagine this will be less of a distraction for Riley and the team with a day to process the news.

"We fixed the glitch"

Former AD is out in a field some where punching a printer. 

• Plus1 3