Why would you fire your Athletic Director in September?

knapplc

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

I meant to have an emoji to show it wasn't supposed to be totally serious.

"Defend" wasn't quite right.  But you apparently did forgive him.

THIS BLACK FRIDAY THING GOT ME THINKING. EICHORST AND RILEY WERE AGAINST BLACK FRIDAY GAMES BUT THEY WERE OK WITH THE OTHER FRIDAY NIGHT GAMES (LIKE NEXT WEEK)?

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, zoogs said:

I for one welcome the coming Scott Frost & "Former Nebraska Player AD" era. 

The way we've gone about things, this is about the only explanation.  People talk about coaches not wanting to come here because we fire 9 win coaches, but how about basically terminating a coach 3 games into the season after a 9 win season?  The million dollar question is what do we do if it doesn't work out?  We've tried almost every other angle.  Will the quiver be out of arrows once we shoot this one?

31 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

The way we've gone about things, this is about the only explanation.  People talk about coaches not wanting to come here because we fire 9 win coaches, but how about basically terminating a coach 3 games into the season after a 9 win season?  The million dollar question is what do we do if it doesn't work out?  We've tried almost every other angle.  Will the quiver be out of arrows once we shoot this one?

The quiver is never out of arrows. Sometimes this is a volume game.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, unlfan said:

Definitely. In order to have a great program you need (1) an above average to elite coach AND (2) luck and circumstance that just make the whole thing "click" and come together. You need both. Look at Saban. Obviously an elite coach (top 3 college coach of all time), but wasn't that great at MSU. The examples are endless.

Right now its pretty obvious we don't even have the above average coach part. But, even if you get that right, it may take 2 , 3, or 4 tries before it all works.

Michigan State hadn't had a winning record the previous four years when Saban started.  Michigan State was under NCAA sanctions prior to Saban.  He never had a losing record at Michigan State.  His fifth and final year, Michigan State finished the year ranked #7 in the coaches poll and #7 in the AP.  This was no fluff ranking either.  In Saban's last year at Michigan State, the B1G had seven teams finish the season ranked in the top 25. 

Just looking at what Saban accomplished at Michigan State would make him a better hire than most of the ones I've seen people throw out there.  Considering what he inherited at Michigan State and the sanctions they were under, I'd say he did great having them in the top 10 by year five.