Could Riley Survive this season? (Poll)

Could Riley survive this season?  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I answered 9-3... If he can navigate the remainder of the season with only one more loss, I think that is a huge turn around and the guy should be allowed, with a short leash, to coach next season to see if he can keep improving.  Of course that means he has to go 2-1 against Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin while beating several other teams that currently look better than us.  Wonder what the Vegas odds on that are?  I'm guessing worse than 100-1.  

4 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I really think if he's 7-5 or 8-4 you don't can him. You make changes on the staff at OL and RB coach and allow for another year of development in this group under Riley. 

Let's not overreact to one loss. And you don't keep a coach for his recruits but if he's able to get guys like Parsons or Pledger etc..

Something I just realized: at 8-4 its possible we win the division with a Wisconsin stumble or two.  Sounds wrong.

1 minute ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Something I just realized: at 8-4 its possible we win the division with a Wisconsin stumble or two.  Sounds wrong.

yup. It's really weird to think about with that record, but 8-4 would be an insane coaching job. 8-4 would mean 7-2 in the B1G which means a win over Wisconsin, Ohio State, or Penn State. There is literally 0 chance he's let go at 8-4. 

I even think 7-5 is completely reasonable to keep him, depending on the losses. 7-5 (6-3) with dominating wins over teams like Minnesota/Iowa etc and close losses to Wisconsin/Ohio State/Penn State isn't really reason to fire him, all things considered. 

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I voted for I'm done with Riley, but that doesn't mean that I don't want NU to win every single week.  The only bright side I see with each loss, is that it would mean a step closer to Riley being fired/retired.

Considering the move we just made, Riley is done.  While I hope we win the rest of our games, I don't think it changes anything with regards to Riley.  If Riley ends up having a pretty good season, I see a retirement coming.  No good can come from stringing a coach along one season to the next.

Just now, junior4949 said:

Considering the move we just made, Riley is done.  While I hope we win the rest of our games, I don't think it changes anything with regards to Riley.  If Riley ends up having a pretty good season, I see a retirement coming.  No good can come from stringing a coach along one season to the next.

I agree with the retirement comment.  Riley may not want to go forward with a new boss, knowing that a difficult 2018 will surely get him fired anyway.

• Plus1 1

I'd say 7-5 is the relative floor. 6-6 might fly if it includes a few competitive losses to good teams. But that's a big might and would set up a make or break year in 2018.

And yes, I still support Riley and to see him succeed, but I'm less than confident. You heard Green and Bounds preach competitiveness in the press conference today. Nebraska has looked bad on the football in almost all phases of the game, mentally and physically. I like Riley has a person but I'm not confident he's Nebraska's head coach in 2018.