Could Riley Survive this season? (Poll)

Could Riley survive this season?  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

I think maybe we should give the keys to Diaco.  He's doing OK with that D.  Seems like a good guy.

The same guy we have been bagging on through the first two weeks?  NIU doesn't have an offense to defend against so don't hang your hat on last weeks defensive performance.  Make no mistake, our defense is going to get lit up over the next two months.  

• Plus1 1

I really think he has to win the division, if not the conference, to keep his job. Normally it might be a bit less than that but with a new AD coming in that raises the bar some IMO.

I really wanted to say I'm behind him if he gets it turned around but swipe left, I'm done. I really like MR as a person but I do not like the style of offense this staff wants to run. If we're resetting, which we are, no better chance than now to get away from this fancy a$$ finesse BS and start working on the lines and punishing some people with a little smash mouth ball.

• Plus1 2

On a personal level, I wanted MR to succeed but on a business level, it is time for a change.  The realization set in that he can't get us to the next level. Time to move on.

I don't know if the team will rally behind him and win more than expected or if they fall flat thinking of the inevitable.  At this point, I think we'll be lucky to win 5 but most likely 2 or 3. 

The assistant coaches enthusiasm has been waning also and this will affect recruiting.   I wonder how many recruits are scheduled to visit NU this week or for the Wisc game. 

41 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

yup. It's really weird to think about with that record, but 8-4 would be an insane coaching job. 8-4 would mean 7-2 in the B1G which means a win over Wisconsin, Ohio State, or Penn State. There is literally 0 chance he's let go at 8-4. 

I even think 7-5 is completely reasonable to keep him, depending on the losses. 7-5 (6-3) with dominating wins over teams like Minnesota/Iowa etc and close losses to Wisconsin/Ohio State/Penn State isn't really reason to fire him, all things considered. 

This... Being competitive in those games is important. One win with two blowouts does not look good. 

50 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I really think if he's 7-5 or 8-4 you don't can him. You make changes on the staff at OL and RB coach and allow for another year of development in this group under Riley. 

Let's not overreact to one loss. And you don't keep a coach for his recruits but if he's able to get guys like Parsons or Pledger etc..

The biggest problem as far as coaches on offense is Langs. Even if you just fired Cav and Davis, that's 6 coaches 'fired' in 3 seasons. When does Riley have to answer for his poor initial hires? At some point he has to be the one held responsible.

It's not about 1 loss. The NIU loss is just the theoretical straw.

• Plus1 1

Just now, DrunkOffPunch said:

The biggest problem as far as coaches on offense is Langs. Even if you just fired Cav and Davis, that's 6 coaches 'fired' in 3 seasons. When does Riley have to answer for his poor initial hires? At some point he has to be the one held responsible.

It's not about 1 loss. The NIU loss is just the theoretical straw.

thats fine then- dump Langs or "re-assign" him to a QB coach/AHC role and bring in a different OC. I agree Langs' playcalling and feel for the game leaves a lot to be desired.

Get a guy like Sterling Gilbert from USF. People can dream all they want about someone like Kevin Sumlin coming in to be OC- that isn't going to happen. He will be a HC somewhere. Doesn't mean I wouldn't offer him $1.5m to be the OC I'm just trying to be realistic. 

Other candidates- Mike Yurcich (Oklahoma State) $400k current salary. Joe Craddock (SMU) salary info unknown since SMU is private. Sonny Dykes (TCU) currently an offensive analyst

I don't want to hate on the poll; but why is 7-5 the worst record available to choose from?

I think his job is safe if he goes out and wins 6 of his last 9.

Let's be honest, though; Riley finishing 4-8 is a real possibility. I think Riley is gone if we don't reach a bowl (<6 wins), and I think he is gone before the bowl game if we stumble into a bowl with a 6-6 record.