Could Riley Survive this season? (Poll)

Could Riley survive this season?  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

I really think if he's 7-5 or 8-4 you don't can him. You make changes on the staff at OL and RB coach and allow for another year of development in this group under Riley. 

Let's not overreact to one loss. And you don't keep a coach for his recruits but if he's able to get guys like Parsons or Pledger etc..

if a head coach has to replace his entire coaching staff by year 3 then hes not a good coach. its not like these guys left for promotions or head coaching job most of them got canned. unless there is a miracle and they win the west riley is about to "retire"

I'll be straight up about my answers. 

He's got to win the division. Anything less will get him fired.

I said I'm pretty indifferent. I want to support him but the start to his third year featuring his hand-picked QB pushed me into this camp. If he does indeed get us to the CCG, things may change. But that's going to require a pretty ridiculous leap forward.

3 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Somebody would have to explain to me how they think MR can possibly survive with only 7 or 8 wins this year when the AD that hired him is gone. Any one of you 44 people want to try to enlighten me. I could be missing something but that seems really farfetched.

If he went 8-4 there's good chance he'd win the West. That would be 7-2 in conference, assuming the losses were to OSU and PSU, Wisconsin would just need to lose one other game for NU to win the West.

Don't think it happens but that one is pretty easy to see.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Based on today's talk with the media, I'm going to question whether Riley has the fight and the will to continue to coach after this year. Seems really sad and despondent about Eichorst's firing. I'm thinking he's gonna retire/resign after this season. 

Maybe a mutually agreed retirement where he still receives his financial package. He's not going to leave money on the table, nor should he.

17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Based on today's talk with the media, I'm going to question whether Riley has the fight and the will to continue to coach after this year. Seems really sad and despondent about Eichorst's firing. I'm thinking he's gonna retire/resign after this season. 

Yup. Dude had no competitive fight in his press conference. Sounded like he was going to tear up. Great guy, but not a football coach that seems to be able to light a fire under the player's ass. Time to hit the road, coach. Thanks for the memories.

1 hour ago, alwayshusking said:

If he went 8-4 there's good chance he'd win the West. That would be 7-2 in conference, assuming the losses were to OSU and PSU, Wisconsin would just need to lose one other game for NU to win the West.

Don't think it happens but that one is pretty easy to see.

I guess that makes some sense. I just hadn't considered that it was remotely possible this team could win 7 conference games. I think they'll be lucky to win 3 more based on what I've seen thus far. 

1 hour ago, El Diaco said:

Somebody would have to explain to me how they think MR can possibly survive with only 7 or 8 wins this year when the AD that hired him is gone. Any one of you 44 people want to try to enlighten me. I could be missing something but that seems really farfetched.

because it could be worse.  8 wins at this point, would be amazing.  

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't his effort or his intention.  This must be exhausting for him and the team.  

4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I answered 9-3... If he can navigate the remainder of the season with only one more loss, I think that is a huge turn around and the guy should be allowed, with a short leash, to coach next season to see if he can keep improving.  Of course that means he has to go 2-1 against Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin while beating several other teams that currently look better than us.  Wonder what the Vegas odds on that are?  I'm guessing worse than 100-1.  

This is my thought process as well. If he can go the rest of the way with one loss that likely means we win the West and play in a CCG. Firing him after doing that would be insane and no one would consider the job at that point. 

However the chance that he does does that is far less then 100-1 IMO. 

Either way, the person whom I most wanted terminated from this university has finally been canned. This is a great day for Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1

It's theoretically possible that the defense tightens up taking the pressure off the Offense, Tanner Lee settles in and we look like world beaters.  That would be great.  Given how we started the season looking unprepared, poorly coached and generally unmotivated it's unlikely and is significant in how I voted.  I consider on field performance (how do we look) over a specific W-L.  Swipe left, he gone.

30 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

This is my thought process as well. If he can go the rest of the way with one loss that likely means we win the West and play in a CCG. Firing him after doing that would be insane and no one would consider the job at that point. 

However the chance that he does does that is far less then 100-1 IMO. 

Either way, the person whom I most wanted terminated from this university has finally been canned. This is a great day for Nebraska. 

So if he can pull a rabbit out of his----he can stay? That's probably the way it will be. 

• Plus1 2

Even if he does go 7-2 and wins the div, his track record at OSU says he can't keep his teams in the hunt, for a div crown most years. Husker fans are used to at least being in the hunt most years. Heck even Bo was in the mix most of his time here.

I really wanted him to be the guy and retire on a good note. Not just because he was coaching DONU, but because after listening to him, I thought this is one of the nicest guys around.

I'm not sure he really really knew what was expected of him, right off the plane. He needed to hit the ground running and not stop. He is not that type of coach, and it shows.

I swiped left......

GBR!!!