Could Riley Survive this season? (Poll)

Could Riley survive this season?  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Based on today's talk with the media, I'm going to question whether Riley has the fight and the will to continue to coach after this year. Seems really sad and despondent about Eichorst's firing. I'm thinking he's gonna retire/resign after this season. 

In his defense, he is the reason Eichorst got fired.  I'd be upset too.  Nobody wants to be the reason somebody else lost their job.  

21 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

Even if he does go 7-2 and wins the div, his track record at OSU says he can't keep his teams in the hunt, for a div crown most years. Husker fans are used to at least being in the hunt most years. Heck even Bo was in the mix most of his time here.

I really wanted him to be the guy and retire on a good note. Not just because he was coaching DONU, but because after listening to him, I thought this is one of the nicest guys around.

I'm not sure he really really knew what was expected of him, right off the plane. He needed to hit the ground running and not stop. He is not that type of coach, and it shows.

I swiped left......

GBR!!!

Lots of Husker fans live in the past.  We haven't won a conference title since 1999.  For perspective,  Bill Clinton was the President then.  We're a lot like those annoying Notre Dame fans in the 90's.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, El Diaco said:

I guess that makes some sense. I just hadn't considered that it was remotely possible this team could win 7 conference games. I think they'll be lucky to win 3 more based on what I've seen thus far. 

Not to mention, not a lot of people expected Nebraska to be one of the better teams in the conference this year anyways. I don't know how in tune a new AD will be with that, or how much he/she will even care, but pulling in 7-8 wins after the abysmal start to the year would show some promise. I would hope they'd at least consider retention at that point from a continuity standpoint.

I know some people want Riley out and there are no bones about it, but I have a tough time really providing commentary until I see how the season continues from here out. A loss to Rutgers next week will be the writing on the wall for me.

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think he absolutely should be given this year and next year at a minimum.  It normally takes 4 years to get YOUR recruits cycling through a program...the ones you recruited in year one.  Riley didn't have all of year one...he only had all of year 2...so 5 years should be where he is evaluated.

I know people say year 3 is where you get it going...well, he didn't have full recruiting on his first year...his year 3 is next year.  I believe he should get this year and next year to see what he can do.  After that, if not good enough, then he should be let go.

Just my 2 cents.

I know if we get rid of him now...we're setting a VERY bad precedent with coaches and NO ONE will want to coach here based on it.

(Don't take this question the wrong way - I'm asking out of genuine curiosity.)

How do you process the offensive line, based on your perspective? I get where you're coming from with the recruiting angle, but several of these guys are four stars who have been under the same offensive coaches for three years. If anything, they've regressed in that time frame.

The decision was made.  Eichorst is out.  Riley is next.  Embarrassment must stop.  The program is to prideful to keep getting on the walk of shame headlines.  Lack of talent is glaring folks!  The Big 10 season hasn't started yet and we are 1-2 already.  Minnesota is improved.  Northwestern is decent.  Purdue is showing signs of competing.  We were counting these game as wins in the preseason.  I forgot about Illinois who won't lay down and die for us.  Ohio ST, Penn St, Wisky, and Iowa are almost locks for losses.  

The administration recognizes how far the talent pool has dipped.  You can see it on the field.  Riley could do his best coaching of his life, and this team would be lucky to finish 6-6 based on what I have seen thus far.

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think Cav should be fired ASAP.  I think they have EXCELLENT recruits there and they aren't delivering...the only thing I can think of would be that Cav needs to be gone...because Barney Cotton would have at least gotten something out of these guys and Cav doesn't seem to be able to.

They could turn it around...who knows.

So you place the full burden of failure on Cav and none or significantly less on Riley and Langsdorf? (again, asking out of curiosity)

I just continue to have mental gymnastics with that unit in my head. For the most part, they've had the highest level of continuity from day one. Sure, the quarterback and some scheme elements have been adjusted, but they've otherwise been teaching the same thing to these guys. Can we really say that Cav is the source? Do Langsdorf and Riley place too high of expectation and overload the players so the point they can't perform in game?

So, from that standpoint, I think man... how can you justify retention? A lot of it will largely depend on how many wins they scrape together, obviously.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, El Diaco said:

Somebody would have to explain to me how they think MR can possibly survive with only 7 or 8 wins this year when the AD that hired him is gone. Any one of you 44 people want to try to enlighten me. I could be missing something but that seems really farfetched.

I went for 8-4 because he could pull the ultimate Mike Riley season and beat both Ohio State and Penn State while losing to Wisconsin and Iowa and that MIGHT do it.

Or, as someone else mentioned, win the division which would make things interesting.

I think it's pretty unlikely - especially the first - but .....

tumblr_matg2fmTLc1rvfhtro1_500.gif

2 hours ago, zoogs said:

It's not going to happen. ADs are fired for a reason and it's not because they want to keep the football operation intact.

Yep. Sorry but you don't can your AD in a thursday in September after one of the most embarrassing losses in school history because you have faith in the coach. Barring a miracle turnaround i.e. Winning the west Riley is cooked. 

23 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If he goes 8-4 you have to keep him or you are more than likely losing half the commits you have right now.  Keep Riley and get rid of the offensive coaches.  At least Cav and Davis and demote Langs or take play calling away from him or something 

I think 8-4 is on the bubble for him honestly. Depends what that 8-4 looks like. A couple of wins against OSU PSU or Wisc with no blowouts then yeah. But two blowout losses out of those three and 8-4 probably doesn't save him. And I think he used his coordinator sacrifice already with Banker.