Could Riley Survive this season? (Poll)

Could Riley survive this season?  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

I think 8-4 is on the bubble for him honestly. Depends what that 8-4 looks like. A couple of wins against OSU PSU or Wisc with no blowouts then yeah. But two blowout losses out of those three and 8-4 probably doesn't save him. And I think he used his coordinator sacrifice already with Banker. 

If the defense can show considerable improvement(which I think it can) and the offense flutters all season I think he has to cut multiple people loose.  After 3 years if Cav and Davis can't coach kids to block and pick up blitzes they aren't very good.  

He's gone. Sure, for the sake of argument, if he went 9-3 he probably would get another year just because we can't keep firing coaches after 9-3 seasons. However, he is obviously not going to make 9-3, which would involve going 8-1 in the last nine games (i.e. only losing to Ohio State or Penn State). We'll probably finish the regular season somewhere between 6-6 and 3-9... He's gone, folks.

Before I start, please understand I am not making direct comparisons or analogies here. Only "somewhat similar in effect" observations.

Look at USC and Penn State last year. USC started 1-3, and Clay Helton's seat was made of lava a quarter of a way into the season it seemed. Granted, their three losses were to ranked teams, but the fanbase wanted blood and USC hadn't been shy in firing coaches less than halfway through a season just in the last few years. They ended up winning out and finishing #5 with a Rose Bowl win. Penn State started 2-2, with one of the losses to a really good Michigan team, but this was after two consecutive 7-5 seasons from Franklin. 4 games into the season, the fanbase was pretty convinced this dude was no good. Turned it around and went on an incredible run.

Mike Riley has every chance in the world to save his job, and those sorts of turnarounds have happened before. It wouldn't be the craziest thing ever. The odds are high, but it's totally possible. That said, if he doesn't win the division and lose the conference championship game by less than 10 points or so, or make a major bowl or something, I don't think he survives.

52 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Before I start, please understand I am not making direct comparisons or analogies here. Only "somewhat similar in effect" observations.

Look at USC and Penn State last year. USC started 1-3, and Clay Helton's seat was made of lava a quarter of a way into the season it seemed. Granted, their three losses were to ranked teams, but the fanbase wanted blood and USC hadn't been shy in firing coaches less than halfway through a season just in the last few years. They ended up winning out and finishing #5 with a Rose Bowl win. Penn State started 2-2, with one of the losses to a really good Michigan team, but this was after two consecutive 7-5 seasons from Franklin. 4 games into the season, the fanbase was pretty convinced this dude was no good. Turned it around and went on an incredible run.

Mike Riley has every chance in the world to save his job, and those sorts of turnarounds have happened before. It wouldn't be the craziest thing ever. The odds are high, but it's totally possible. That said, if he doesn't win the division and lose the conference championship game by less than 10 points or so, or make a major bowl or something, I don't think he survives.

I honestly don't care about record. Execute and wins take care of themselves. 

Nebraska is is no where near executing properly right now. That's what really matters.

Seven or less means he is gone. If he salvages this year by some miracle and wins 7 of 9, he saves his job. That would likely mean a win overly a highly ranked Wisc, OSU, or PSU. Big 10 championship birth or not, we are not in a position to fire him in year three after a year like that.  

I'm also not buying the idea that the AD is expected to come in an fire Riley. What self respecting person wants to take the job and be told they don't have the autonomy or authority to make this call? The timing of this move simply suggests they want the new AD in place to make the decision on Riley come November or December. 

44 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

So do the people that are done with Riley and/or think he is gone, will you be upset when the Huskers roll of a string of victories?  Or are you people the types that will be mad if the wins start mounting because it will mean Riley’s job will/might be safe?

Heck no!  I want them to win out (and cover each week) 

1 hour ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

So do the people that are done with Riley and/or think he is gone, will you be upset when the Huskers roll of a string of victories?  Or are you people the types that will be mad if the wins start mounting because it will mean Riley’s job will/might be safe?

Riley is done either way.  If he wins enough, there's a "retirement" coming at the end of the season.  If he doesn't win enough, he's fired.  End of story.  I hope we win out, but I'm not delusional enough to think it will affect Riley's status as our coach one bit.