***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

FWIW: Shatel was on The Bottom Line today and said he thinks Nebraska already has an AD in mind and a coach. But, he said he wasn't going to write about it and didn't have any hard evidence to support the claim, so it's basically just a fun rumor nugget for everyone.

I hope the coach is Diaco and that he never, ever gives Shatel any interview time!!!  hahahahaha....

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Toe said:

It's utterly mind-boggling that there are still so many people clinging to the "He won a couple games one year at a s#!tty P5 school, imagine what he could do at Nebraska!" idea after what we've seen from Riley...

Very few coaches have winning records vs ranked opponents, especially so if you have a job that is low on the totem pole relative to your conference. 

James Franklin is 3-15 vs ranked teams. Was he a bad hire for PSU?

Jim Mora is 13-11 vs ranked teams. Anybody want to hire Jim Mora right now?

Bill Snyder is 21-51-1 vs ranked teams. Not a good coach?

I think there's more analysis to be done than record vs ranked opponents. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, alwayshusking said:

Very few coaches have winning records vs ranked opponents, especially so if you have a job that is low on the totem pole relative to your conference.

I'm not really even talking about ranked games, specifically. I'm just wondering anyone in their right mind can look at Mullen's record and not think "Gee, that looks about like Riley's record!"

"But it's Mississippi State!!!11one"

So? Even considering the competition, it's probably as easy, if not easier to recruit to Mississippi State than Nebraska, just due to proximity to talent. So take a look at the recruiting rankings for the last few years:

2017: MSU #24, NU #23

2016: MSU #28, NU #26

2015: MSU #18, NU #30

2014: MSU #36, NU #35

2013: MSU #24, NU #22

So on paper, their talent level is almost identical to Nebraska's, save for the 2015 class which was ranked much higher than ours. And what is Mullen getting from that talent? Last year, they had seven losses. That's exactly as many as Riley had the season before we hired him. And while you can certainly argue that the SEC is stronger than the PAC, Mullen had FAR better talent to work with than Riley did. Is that seriously what people see as someone who could be the savior of Husker football?

• Plus1 1

Did I read that Greene and Bounds are native from the SEC region?  "IF"  is true, I wonder if they have contacts, alum networks and colleagues that have insight into the coaching ranks down that way.  How would Husker fans react if they reach down and pull some coordinator from the SEC, say from Bama, or Florida or such, and tag the as coach.  Not a splash hire we all seem to want, but one that has commendations from people all throughout football.  That would be interesting to watch.  As much as i hate to admit, I'm finally on the "splash", open up the checkbook hire bandwagon now.  But the simpleton in me is also enamored with them finding the next great coach that is realtively unknown right now.  Don't think Husker Nation could live through such a hire though.

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I'm not really even talking about ranked games, specifically. I'm just wondering anyone in their right mind can look at Mullen's record and not think "Gee, that looks about like Riley's record!"

"But it's Mississippi State!!!11one"

So? Even considering the competition, it's probably as easy, if not easier to recruit to Mississippi State than Nebraska, just due to proximity to talent. So take a look at the recruiting rankings for the last few years:

2017: MSU #24, NU #23

2016: MSU #28, NU #26

2015: MSU #18, NU #30

2014: MSU #36, NU #35

2013: MSU #24, NU #22

So on paper, their talent level is almost identical to Nebraska's, save for the 2015 class which was ranked much higher than ours. And what is Mullen getting from that talent? Last year, they had seven losses. That's exactly as many as Riley had the season before we hired him. And while you can certainly argue that the SEC is stronger than the PAC, Mullen had FAR better talent to work with than Riley did. Is that seriously what people see as someone who could be the savior of Husker football?

Let's go by SEC recruiting ranking and division recruiting ranking for MSU

2017: 9th and 5th

2016: 11th and 7th

2015: 8th and 6th

2014: 12th and 7th

2013: 10th and 7th

So MSU's never had higher than the 8th best recruiting class in the SEC during that time period. Never better than 5th in it's own division. 3 of the 5 years they finished last in their division in recruiting. 

Tough sledding when you're MSU in the SEC West. A top 25 class is near the bottom of the SEC and is frequently dead last in the SEC West. 

On 9/26/2017 at 5:57 AM, The Dude said:

Mullen without Dak Prescott is essentially Mike Riley.

Riley has had 3 QB's start an NFL game...Not an easy task - just stating that you cannot fault a coach for getting a great player. Mullen also has coached Alex Smith at Utah and Tebow at Florida before becoming a HC at Miss St 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Riley has had 3 QB's start an NFL game...Not an easy task - just stating that you cannot fault a coach for getting a great player. Mullen also has coached Alex Smith at Utah and Tebow at Florida before becoming a HC at Miss St 

Can't forget about Chris Leak (Florida) won the NC before Tebow took over also if you remember Urbs from the Bowling Green days he had a stud QB named Josh Harris that was a ton of fun to watch.