***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

On 9/26/2017 at 4:12 AM, Landlord said:

That sounds nothing at all like the justifications for Riley's career at Oregon State in the Pac-10/12...

:sarcasm

I think Riley did a really good job at OSU, but he got old and the program got stale. Riley had a good run at OSU in the 2000s. Even though I don't like his offense, we'd probably be getting better results with 50 year old Mike Riley in the 2000s vs a 64 year old Mike Riley in 2017. I think the game passed him by a bit. 

Mullen is much younger at 45 though not a perfect candidate. There is no perfect candidate on paper for Nebraska right now. We'll have to take the best gamble available, the coach who will project best for Nebraska.

Hopefully Frost is the real deal bc that's who I think it will ultimately be.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, alwayshusking said:

I think Riley did a really good job at OSU, but he got old and the program got stale. Riley had a good run at OSU in the 2000s. Even though I don't like his offense, we'd probably be getting better results with 50 year old Mike Riley in the 2000s vs a 64 year old Mike Riley in 2017. I think the game passed him by a bit.

Same reason (or at least one reason) I don't like the Les Miles idea. Heck, Tressel's name has been tossed around by some (now that his sanctions have expired), but he's about the same age, and has been out of the game for several years.

It's tough to gauge whether or not the game has passed anyone by, though it's a possibility. Specifically in Riley's case I tend to believe he's an older coach who has pretty much defined who he is and what he's going to be. You don't see a lot of coaches achieving the pinnacle of their careers in their early 60's. If it hasn't happened by then the chances are it won't happen at all.

13 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Riley has had 3 QB's start an NFL game...Not an easy task - just stating that you cannot fault a coach for getting a great player. Mullen also has coached Alex Smith at Utah and Tebow at Florida before becoming a HC at Miss St 

True, but I think you can fault him for being a career .500 coach without Prescott.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, The Dude said:

True, but I think you can fault him for being a career .500 coach without Prescott.

I think there's a lot more that he can be faulted for as well.  Considering he typically recruits a top 25 class, he's only finished the season ranked in the top 25 twice in his eight seasons.  This is not a guy that does more with less.  This really looks like a guy that does less with more.  We want to compete for championships.  However, it is very unlikely we consistently have top 10-15 recruiting classes.  We need a guy who can do more with less.  Mullen thus far through nine seasons hasn't shown he is that guy.  He's an offensive minded coach.  His team just managed to put up a whopping three points on the scoreboard last weekend.  Last year, Miss. State lost to South Alabama.  Is South Alabama really any better than Northern Illinois?  I honestly can't see how Mullen would be an upgrade to Riley.

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Does anyone on here really know anything about ADs?  Who are the top available guys?

Don't take this as a slight, but there are some solid names listed in the previous pages of this thread if you take a moment to peruse through it. At least, 'solid' in the sense that they're well-respected athletic directors.

One name I keep seeing mentioned is Del Conte at TCU. He'd be a great hire if they could get him and if he's interested.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Big Red 40 said:

Does anyone on here really know anything about ADs?  Who are the top available guys?

I don't think he's available, in fact I believe he actively hates UNL, but I really like Jamie Pollard at ISU.  Rick George at Colorado has done some pretty nice things, but CU fans seem to think he's destined to be a league commissioner soon - so probably not interested in a lateral move to any University, especially not Nebraska (whom they still consider a bitter rival).

So yeah, that's a couple of guys I don't think have been brought up here yet...

• Plus1 1

Turnkey led the search that ended in Kansas State athletic director John Currie's hiring at the University of Tennessee earlier this year. The six-month search, which began in January and ended in July, cost about $88,000.

So, an extra $37k to try and squeeze a six-month job into 60 days?

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

Don't take this as a slight, but there are some solid names listed in the previous pages of this thread if you take a moment to peruse through it. At least, 'solid' in the sense that they're well-respected athletic directors.

One name I keep seeing mentioned is Del Conte at TCU. He'd be a great hire if they could get him and if he's interested.

ill have to admit i didn't read it all lol . Scanning through I saw mostly jokes, and crazy speculation. I don't know much about what an AD really does, or what would "qualify" one guy more than another?     

1 hour ago, Big Red 40 said:

ill have to admit i didn't read it all lol . Scanning through I saw mostly jokes, and crazy speculation. I don't know much about what an AD really does, or what would "qualify" one guy more than another?     

There's some speculation on that, too, and a lot of it depends on who you ask.

I think, universally speaking, most fans want a better face of the program i.e. someone who is going to smile, shake hands, kiss some babies and project confidence in the office. Then, you get down into the weeds about what matters more to some people. Some might say Nebraska ties (I don't). My priority would be finding a guy/gal who has a strong track record for operating a successful football program and making a good hire for that program.

Much like an organization, the CEO (or athletic director in this case) is only one person and needs a strong team, but the leader sets the goals and the culture.

• Plus1 1