***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

8 hours ago, sho said:

There's are some rumors that a decision has been made based on a listen of the Carriker Chronicles.  One with DR made it sound like a person was hired, and made it sound like it was a former Husker not named TA.   I'm listening to it now to see if get the same vibe from it.

Probably Eric Crouch

3 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I am being opened minded, but regardless if the next guy has NEB ties or not, they should at least have a track record of hiring football coaches at some capacity in the P5.  IF they can't find that AD, then go with in the family and hire someone.  I here both sides of the conversation about this .  We don't need a Nebraskan graduate to come in, we need a P5 guy who is already having success.   I agree.  DUH, if you having success at another P5 program, why would you come here right now?  Football is down, mens and womans basketball is in a heap, and our best sport is volleyball a real revenue maker there!  Next conversation-  We need to hire someone that knows this program, the state and what it takes to succeed at NEB.  I agree and disagree.  But I do think in the long run, if were settling for a lack luster hire from another school or unproven record of hiring, then yes we should go homerville.

The same reasons that coaches leave for different jobs.  Money, ego, prestige, money.  I'll liken it to Theo Epstein taking over Boston and the Cubs.  Both were once proud franchises that couldn't get over the championship hump.  Theo was the GM who got them there and now he's a god in both cities.  Any competitive AD worth his or her salt has to look at the Nebraska gig and think, 'Dang, if I can turn this ship around, they'll build monuments in my honor (not quite but still).'  Will it be hard, absolutely.

10 hours ago, Hayseed said:

No, I was thinking Karen Jennings.

What about  Condoleezza Rice?

Shes brilliant, would be a great face for our program, has spent much of her life in academia, as Provost at Stanford was in charge of a $1.5 billion budget, was the only woman on the College Football Playoff Committee, and is a member of Augusta National, which I would think she could use to help recruit top coaches.  Who wouldn't interview with her if she said the interview would take place during a round of golf at Augusta.

I know it would never happen, but if people can throw out names like Saban for coach, I can throw this out there for AD.

2 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Shes brilliant, would be a great face for our program, has spent much of her life in academia, as Provost at Stanford was in charge of a $1.5 billion budget, was the only woman on the College Football Playoff Committee, and is a member of Augusta National, which I would think she could use to help recruit top coaches.  Who wouldn't interview with her if she said the interview would take place during a round of golf at Augusta.

I know it would never happen, but if people can throw out names like Saban for coach, I can throw this out there for AD.

Condi is not a Husker. Remember when unqualified people like Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney were given the job and neither had any "P5 AD experience"? Just shows the whole qualifications narrative they're pushing is bulls#!t. Karen would be an outstanding Face of the Huskers, just as Rimington would. Have you seen the size of the athletic department? Go ahead and look it up. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can work out details down there.

2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Condi is not a Husker. Remember when unqualified people like Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney were given the job and neither had any "P5 AD experience"? Just shows the whole qualifications narrative they're pushing is bulls#!t. Karen would be an outstanding Face of the Huskers, just as Rimington would. Have you seen the size of the athletic department? Go ahead and look it up. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can work out details down there.

If you are saying that if the three finalists for the AD job were Karen Jennings, Dave Rimington, and Condi Rice, you believe Dr. Rice would be the first one out because she is not a Husker, I would have to say that you are putting WAY to  much emphasis on the next AD having Husker ties.

5 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

And I can throw out names like Sean Spicer for the guy inside Lil Red!!!

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

If you are saying that if the three finalists for the AD job were Karen Jennings, Dave Rimington, and Condi Rice, you believe Dr. Rice would be the first one out because she is not a Husker, I would have to say that you are putting WAY to  much emphasis on the next AD having Husker ties.

I guess I don't believe she would even consider the job, like many of the high profile people whose name is being thrown around. I think Karen or someone like her would be much better at communicating with the fans, boosters, and media, and would do well supporting all the sports.

Betty White would be a disaster, glad we couldn't get her. Barry White would be smooth had he not died in 2003.

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I guess I don't believe she would even consider the job, like many of the high profile people whose name is being thrown around. I think Karen or someone like her would be much better at communicating with the fans, boosters, and media, and would do well supporting all the sports.

Betty White would be a disaster, glad we couldn't get her. Barry White would be smooth had he not died in 2003.

I'm sure she wouldn't. I only replied to your post because your first sentence was, Condi isn't a Husker.

An interesting note, there are 3 schools in the power 5 conferences that have women athletic directors.  Two of those schools finished last year ranked in the top 7 of the AP poll. 

#4 Washington and #7 Penn State.