***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

5 minutes ago, Toe said:

Something I was saying in another thread yesterday: would firing Cav even matter at this point? I suspect that it's not even so much that he's a bad coach, but rather the real underlying problem is that the system that Riley & Langsdorf want him to teach is crap.

It's a great question, Toe.

One thing that I think that we're possibly seeing is the switch to even so many high school teams running the spread out of the shotgun. In this scheme, linemen even at the high school level are being taught more of a zone blocking technique.

What we're doing is a 5-7 step drop scheme a lot of the time. This requires specific technique from your linemen. So if we don't have a good offensive line coach to coach for this scheme, the product will look bad. And, it has looked bad.

So I'd love for Riley to fire Cavanaugh at this point. Effective immediately, to be honest.

52 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

"Osborne said Pelini won a lot of games but, in the end, probably didn’t know enough about his character before he hired him."

No doubt.  But he wasn't hiring a family counselor.  He was hiring a football coach, and he hired a good one.  It's not easy to evaluate a person's character in an interview.  In hindsight, it didn't work out so well.  Especially after TO left.  If he'd been replaced by someone besides the Ginger Assassin, things may have been very different.  

In hindsight, Bo Pelini ripped the fans, ripped the program, and said "I am so outta here!" in 2011, when his AD was still named Tom Osborne. 

I've missed you, CM. 

• Plus1 8
14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I genuinely thought Cav would be fired after the NIU disaster. Turns out, I wasn't setting my sights high enough.

You have that right.  I thought our poor performance after the 1st 3 games would have caused one head to roll - and Cav was the top of my list.  Oregon was much worse than the final score as we all know.  Ark State was a near miss.  But I think MR's identity is tied directly to his offensive philosophy and will stick with and that includes his OC and Cav - the 2 guys that are tied together wt MR to that philosophy.  I think Cav may be to MR what Cosgrove was to BC.  For sure Langs is but I think it reaches down to Cav.   Our problem last year wasn't just the D, we had inconsistent play from the OL.  But MR fires the DC and doesn't touch the O.  Perhaps thinking the QB will be the difference maker.  Well, it appears that coaching has a part in it too.   At this point, I see MR going down wt his offensive coaches. 

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In hindsight, Bo Pelini ripped the fans, ripped the program, and said "I am so outta here!" in 2011, when his AD was still named Tom Osborne. 

I've missed you, CM. 

I really agree that he could be cm. I thought of that just after I explained to him who cm was, LOL.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Which one would that be, the one that went .500 after his predecessor's recruits left campus, or the one that did everything in his power to alienate the fanbase while also proving unable to stop a jet sweep? 

Didn't alienate me, i thought he was correct in talking about the fans.

• Plus1 1