***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

4 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

There wasn't but 40000 people left in that stadium, I was there.  People have emotional outbursts in situations of stress, even with success, fans took it personal, not my problem as I didn't.  And still don't think he was wrong in acting like that.  Poor choice of words, sure.  O by the way the record of that Ohio St. team means zero to your point.  Let's not start on the fact Riley has in fact lost to worse teams then Bo ever did.

Can anyone else support the claim the stadium was half-full? Even on the Bo tape, they are mostly referring to a hole in one of the student sections. 

And why are you pretending that this was a rare moment for Bo? He has a whole career of poor words and actions, and they've followed him to Youngstown State. The fact that Bo wanted out of Nebraska by year 4 suggests it wasn't just a moment of stress, nor was it attributable to Eichorst.  The dude was childish and thin-skinned. 

Just for the record, most fans didn't take Bo's outburst personally. When it leaked in 2013, most Husker fans were angrier at the leaker than they were Bo.

I'm still confused: are Husker fans too nice, or not nice enough?

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

There wasn't but 40000 people left in that stadium, I was there.  People have emotional outbursts in situations of stress, even with success, fans took it personal, not my problem as I didn't.  And still don't think he was wrong in acting like that.  Poor choice of words, sure.  O by the way the record of that Ohio St. team means zero to your point.  Let's not start on the fact Riley has in fact lost to worse teams then Bo ever did.

Place was still packed

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

I was there too and you're wrong. Just for fun I looked up the game on youtube and sure enough it was still packed in the 4th quarter.

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

Yeah, even Dr. Tom thinks Dr. Tom made a mistake with Pelini.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/tom-osborne-took-a-risk-hiring-bo-pelini-and-admits-it-bit-the-program

I'm going to give TO a pass on Bo.  Bo was a good coach, just not meant to be a head coach of a team that is constantly under the microscope like us.  He could not have predicted Bo's national meltdowns and I mean emotional meltdowns, not team losses.  

• Plus1 2

I went to that Rose Bowl game and, yes, we had no business being in that game but I was glad we got to play in the Rose.   I told my wife when we were selected that "We should go as it is likely the last major bowl game the Huskers will be in and they'll never go to the Rose Bowl again!"    I said it would not be a good game on the scoreboard but a trip to SoCal etc and travel with the Sidetrack Band and a traveling Husker fans group would be great fun anyway.   Sadly, I was all too right in my prognostication.  I knew how things were headed under Solich even in the 2001 season.   I was happy Crouch won the heisman but honestly Bobby Newcomb was our best player, not Crouch.   There were many issues and while I was a long time die hard Husker and gave Frank ever benefit of the doubt and nobody wanted him to succeed more than me, I was quite concerned that he was in over his head.   I admit he has done better at Ohio U than I would have predicted but I was very much afraid his drinking issues would take him down before his coaching ever would.   Thank God for Frank he has been able to wrestle control of things and has done OK there.   I am happy for him and wish him all the best.  

Frank did well in his three seasons after Tom retired because he was coaching Tom's players with Tom''s assistants so very little changed except the play calling.   Our physical superiority helped to enable the wins despite the offensive shortcomings.   When the wheels fell off under Craig Bohl's defense and Frank's QB right, left and up the middle offense, and the recruiting had fallen off, change was inevitable.  To this date, we have not been able to really right the ship and get headed up the long climb back to national prominence.   National respect will be a long time coming.  It took Tom over 10 years to actually earn much and even up until the '95 team, there were many who said we couldn't compete with the Florida speed and etc etc etc.  

The most intriguing question regarding Husker football history since 1997 is this:   Why did Tom retire when he did and why was Frank Solich the chosen one?   I know reasons were given by T.O. at the time but I just never quite bought them.   There was something unspoken or private reasons.  All fine that it was done that way and I will never believe there were ill intentions in Tom's actions.  He hired Bo in acknowledgement of the excellent job he did helping turn Frank's defense around.  But Bo's behavior with Bill Snyder after that whipping was more than enough for me to have doubts about his termperament for the job.  Physically threatening a senior citizen with assault after a football game is NOT appropriate for a NU coach getting paid the big bucks.

Tom as far as I am aware, had nothing whatsoever to do with his hiring and I don't think he would have hired him.  He is a great offensive line coach and exceptional offensive football mind, but he is NOT a college level coach at all in my view.  I am glad and this was Tom's best decision as AD.   I was happy and excited when Bo was hired although I had a couple other guys who were considered higher on the list.  I was fearful Bo would never truly become a Husker at heart but I trusted Tom and also felt the fact that Bo was coming back to Nebraska as a good indicator.   Unfortunately, my gut feelings ultimately were right and Bo was never going to be a Husker through and through.  He was getting a pay check.

I could be wrong but I really think Riley came to Lincoln with the very best of intentions and would have, could have and wanted to become a Husker for life.  He truly cares (or cared until the recent onslaught against him from seemingly all corners).   It has to be very hard at this time to be in his position.   I believe him to be a very honorable, honest and sincere person.  Something that can't be said about Bo or Callahan.   The next coach needs to be of the type of character and mettle that if not already a Husker at heart, he will quickly become one and we should hope and expect he would come with the intention of being a life long coach and retire after a successful tenure.  We don't want any rising star looking to climb the ladder and viewing a stint at NU as a way to catapult himself into a job at his alma mater or the NFL or something.       

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Isle of View said:

That's a great attitude!  I always love to hear fans argue in favor of their team NOT making an NC game.  smh

Not arguing in favor of them not making it.  But when it's included on a list of accomplishments of a coach I feel it should be pointed out. 

Never in my life will I root for Nebraska to lose. Even that night when I was 12 I rooted like hell for Nebraska even though i understood we had no business being in that game. 

6 hours ago, Fru said:

What is to "Bo Ruud" something? 

The only thing I could think of would be to intercept something and take a conspicuously long and improbable path to the end zone. 

"Bo Ruud" - adj. 

1 - To jump on the pile at the end of a play in an attempt to get statistics. 

2 - To fall backwards 3 yards while tackling a ballcarrier. 

11 hours ago, Isle of View said:

"Osborne said Pelini won a lot of games but, in the end, probably didn’t know enough about his character before he hired him."

No doubt.  But he wasn't hiring a family counselor.  He was hiring a football coach, and he hired a good one.  It's not easy to evaluate a person's character in an interview.  In hindsight, it didn't work out so well.  Especially after TO left.  If he'd been replaced by someone besides the Ginger Assassin, things may have been very different.  

What Bo needed was a firm hand(where TO failed) that was of moral and financial support(where SE failed, and meant to). Didn't break my heart to see Bo go but reality is that if we had made the right hire to succeed TO then Bo would be double-digits in the win column every season while having largely eliminated the ugly losses. It wouldn't have been hard to do. 

12 hours ago, Undone said:

There really isn't anything objectively wrong with Riley's offense. There's nothing that sticks out in the playbook as being a scheme that can't win championships.

As you go on to point out, it's the line play. Imagine also a scenario where not only our offensive line is playing roughly as well as say, Michigan State & Penn State's but also one where Bryant is suffering from chronic knee stuff. This offense is a good one, there's practically no doubt in my mind.

But our offensive line play has been bad in this first half of the season. And it's killing us and as you mention, it's quite possibly the main factor that will lead to Riley's firing.

*Edit: I meant to say Michigan & Penn State

It's not just the O-line.  It's inappropriate play calling, poor tempo, poor discipline, poor clock management, very poor wide receiver play... it's more than just the O-line, however, if the O-line was good I agree a lot of this would improve.