***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let me throw this out there.

Right or wrong, the AD's job is tied to the success of the coach he hires to replace Riley.  (yes, I believe Riley is gone after this year).

There also is a chance that the donors and administration have pegged Frost as the coach they want to go hire and are already working to get the money together to go hire him.

How many top ADs are going to be comfortable coming into a job where the one decision that his job security is based on is already decided for him?

I get what you're saying but there should be no need to have boosters "get the money together" to help facilitate a coaching change.  The university has been rolling in cash with the Adidas deal and full share of the B1G.  The financial influence from outside sources shouldn't need to be depended on.

• Plus1 2

19 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I would genuinely like an answer to this question. Why would you delete half a stadium of deliriously happy Nebraska fans in your mind? Just to support your case for a coach you thought was unjustly fired?

And how do you do it with a straight face, knowing it only takes seconds to be proven dead wrong?

I'm asking for Sean Spicer. 

Your 3 screen shots prove there was people close to the field? I'm not following here? That's proof of what? That you can see the entire stadium? 

FWIW- I got an interesting call last night from a money manger in Omaha-- he is in the belief (from a customer conversation) we will be announcing Greg Byrne next week, being a bye-week after all.. I can not see a guy like him, with a team like his (Alabama), to leave mid stream before playing for a National title- the crown jewel of all college sports... anyway,  Says he and his dad had great experience in Lincoln, albeit Greg did not spend much time here (officially).. Not to mention, he is making right around a million at Alabama, and Nebraska will see that and raise another 350K.. not sure how I feel about it (love the idea of Del "pineapple"Conte- over all else)), but I can not argue the kid's pedigree...

25 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I get what you're saying but there should be no need to have boosters "get the money together" to help facilitate a coaching change.  The university has been rolling in cash with the Adidas deal and full share of the B1G.  The financial influence from outside sources shouldn't need to be depended on.

It doesn't matter how much we will be getting from normal revenue streams.  The big donors will ALWAYS have major pull within the athletic department.  Any idea that that is going to change is delusional.  

8 minutes ago, Vizsla1 said:

FWIW- I got an interesting call last night from a money manger in Omaha-- he is in the belief (from a customer conversation) we will be announcing Greg Byrne next week, being a bye-week after all.. I can not see a guy like him, with a team like his (Alabama), to leave mid stream before playing for a National title- the crown jewel of all college sports... anyway,  Says he and his dad had great experience in Lincoln, albeit Greg did not spend much time here (officially).. Not to mention, he is making right around a million at Alabama, and Nebraska will see that and raise another 350K.. not sure how I feel about it (love the idea of Del "pineapple"Conte- over all else)), but I can not argue the kid's pedigree...

Byrne would be the best case scenario IMO.

Would you want to be the guy that has to hire Saban's successor?

• Plus1 1

Pass on Byrne, he left a mess at Arizona. They're one of the schools involved in the whole FBI basketball investigation, and he's also involved in an ugly lawsuit back there.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/29/what-we-know-about-each-school-fbi-investigation

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2017/5/8/15580194/sex-lies-coercion-athletic-director-greg-byrne-and-an-arizona-track-field-lawsuit

Edited by Toe
51 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

i don't believe you get a decent AD by taking away his decision to pick a new coach?  

On 9/21/2017 at 4:49 PM, Nebhawk said:

In my opinion, a search firm just validates who the administration wants.  They will do the usual background checks, reference check, and line up interviews.  The school knows who they want.  The boosters have said who they want.  These decisions are not that secretive.  They will line up the usual suspects with EOE involved.    

Pretty much. The firm provides their recommendations to the school and the school has their own list too. After all of that stuff is done is when you get started with interviews, backgrounds, etc. Eventually the offer. 

43 minutes ago, Vizsla1 said:

What is the fun in working for a school when the football empire is already established before you become the AD? Not much fun, IMO. He might want to go somewhere he can build  an empire and that is available at Nebraska since Nebraska is now near the bottom of the B1G under Riley. 

Speaking of Arkansas, athletics director Jeff Long is a name that has gained traction recently in the Nebraska athletics director search, along with Iowa State’s Jamie Pollard. Oregon’s Rob Mullens has also been mentioned by people in the industry.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2017/10/12/houston-nutt-lawsuit-ole-miss-definitely-owes-apology/759262001/