***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

Arkansas AD Jeff Long football hires:

Brett Bilema: Looked like a smart hire, but been largely mediocre since he went to Arkansas

Bobby Petrino: Fired after affair and revelations that he helped his mistress get a job in the athletic department

John L. Smith:

3 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

Jamie Pollard......good lord. That would be the equivalent of hiring MR. Nice guy who maybe could do more at a school with better support. Hard pass.

Your only knock on him is that he's at Iowa State?

Ohio State's AD spent a stint at ISU, I'm assuming they didn't discount him simply because he live in Ames for a while.

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

Jamie Pollard......good lord. That would be the equivalent of hiring MR. Nice guy who maybe could do more at a school with better support. Hard pass.

I don't get the knock on Pollard.  He's done a nice job hiring coaches.  Matt Campbell looks like he might turn out to be pretty solid and he made great hires in Prohm and getting Hoiberg to Ames.  Is it just an ISU thing?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Your only knock on him is that he's at Iowa State?

Ohio State's AD spent a stint at ISU, I'm assuming they didn't discount him simply because he live in Ames for a while.

I think  you missed the point. Jamie Pollard has hired and fired more coaches than any AD I can think of. None of which have had any notable success. The two home-runs he had promptly left after having any success (Cale Sanderson and Fred Hoiberg) which leads me to believe something stinks there. Both sports ISU has been extremely successful in and you have hometown heroes who are doing well and they bounce? Again, nice guy. But just like MR, he has no track record of proven success. Hard pass.

15 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I don't get the knock on Pollard.  He's done a nice job hiring coaches.  Matt Campbell looks like he might turn out to be pretty solid and he made great hires in Prohm and getting Hoiberg to Ames.  Is it just an ISU thing?

Not an ISU thing at all. I have my doubts about Prohm, we will see. I agree Matt Campbell looks to be pretty good, but lets look at the body of work here for football.

Fires Dan McCarney to hire Gene Cheezedick who bounces after 2 years. Then hires Paul Rhoads who was abysmal. Then hire Campbell. I'm really not sold on that body of work. Some may, but Im not. Again, nice guy. But lets not pull another "he could do better with more support" hire.

Not to mention he did have Cale Sanderson and Fred Hoiberg leave him. The Sanderson one really is a head scratcher. Hoiberg makes a little more sense because he left for the pro's but still makes me wonder.

Edited by billdozer15

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Why wouldn't we?   Both seem like well qualified candidates to me.

Mullens seems like he might be more intriguing, but how much of Oregon is ran by Phil Knight?

I was genuinely curious as to what made these two exceptional candidates? I don't see anything on their resumes that screen homerun hire, that's why I'm asking for others opinions.

As someone pointed out Long being named head of playoff committee may be his strength. Other than that I see two AD's that have been at their schools for a good amount of time and haven't led the programs to new levels of success, at least as far as I can tell. 

What makes them "qualified" for this program in your opinion? 

2 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I was genuinely curious as to what made these two exceptional candidates? I don't see anything on their resumes that screen homerun hire, that's why I'm asking for others opinions.

As someone pointed out Long being named head of playoff committee may be his strength. Other than that I see two AD's that have been at their schools for a good amount of time and haven't led the programs to new levels of success, at least as far as I can tell. 

What makes them "qualified" for this program in your opinion? 

Long had a home run hire with Bobby Petrino.  They were on the cusp.  Then we know what happened after that.  There isn't a person that follows college football that didn't think he hit another home run with Bielema.  I'm a bit shocked it hasn't worked for him there.  Also took our best baseball coach from us.  Not that it was a hard sell, but still.

4 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

Not an ISU thing at all. I have my doubts about Prohm, we will see. I agree Matt Campbell looks to be pretty good, but lets look at the body of work here for football.

Fires Dan McCarney to hire Gene Cheezedick who bounces after 2 years. Then hires Paul Rhoads who was abysmal. Then hire Campbell. I'm really not sold on that body of work. Some may, but Im not. Again, nice guy. But lets not pull another "he could do better with more support" hire.

Not to mention he did have Cale Sanderson and Fred Hoiberg leave him. The Sanderson one really is a head scratcher. Hoiberg makes a little more sense because he left for the pro's but still makes me wonder.

That's fair.  I agree with you on Chizik, that was a disaster.

As for Sanderson leaving, PSU is located in arguably the top spot for HS wrestling in the country.  I think Sanderson saw the opportunity to take the head job at a place where you have elite talent in your backyard, great facilities and rabid fan support.  

I did find an article (albeit a dated one) that gives some further explanation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/sports/29wrestling.html

Mullen's would be the best hire out of those three. 

Mullen's work at KY lead to record breaking fund raising, the budget expanded by 70%, and his time at Oregon has been impressive. 

Rob Mullens an annual salary is $717,500 through 2024. He would be making more money at Nebraska and can rebuild the football program. He also knows Scott Frost.