***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

Based on Benning's tweet it isn't going to be Long:

• Joel Schafer Retweeted FootballScoop Staff

This would be bad. Petrino & Bielima were his two hires at Arkansas.

Joel Schafer added,

FootballScoop Staff @FootballScoop
    #Huskers how would you guys feel about this? Pretty sure I know how Arkansas fans would feel …
    2 replies0 retweets5 likes

Retweet

Direct message
c6SEiQJI_bigger.jpgDamon Benning @damonbenning
FollowFollow @damonbenning
More
Replying to @joelschafer

Not happening

12:42 PM - 13 Oct 2017
  • Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I was genuinely curious as to what made these two exceptional candidates? I don't see anything on their resumes that screen homerun hire, that's why I'm asking for others opinions.

As someone pointed out Long being named head of playoff committee may be his strength. Other than that I see two AD's that have been at their schools for a good amount of time and haven't led the programs to new levels of success, at least as far as I can tell. 

What makes them "qualified" for this program in your opinion? 

Mullens has seemingly done a nice job across the board in terms of raising the bar for all of Oregon's sports.  It looks like they've finished in the top 10 the last 2 years in the Director's Cup (used to be known as the Sears Director's Cup) for overall athletic excellence which is good given that Nebraska tries to be pretty strong across the board in all their sports.  He also deserves a tip of the cap for running one of the few athletic departments in the NCAA that is self sufficient.  Has hired Helfrich and Taggert for CFB.

Long has been discussed a fair bit already.  Good track record on hiring with both Petrino and big Bert, both were lauded quite a bit at the time.  Petrino lead Arkansas to big time success, he just happened to be a scumbag too.  Props to Long though in that he moved on swiftly from Petrino once news broke.

Honestly, I'd be pretty happy if Nebraska hired any of the 3 mentioned.

Looks like we also have an opening for a senior associate athletic director for marketing and communications. David Witty was hired by Eichorst just before Bo was fired, and will be heading to IMG Sports Marketing.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/david-witty-spokesman-for-former-a-d-shawn-eichorst-leaving/article_54502b6a-b02c-11e7-96d6-0b5f2b40ff4a.html

16 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Mullens has seemingly done a nice job across the board in terms of raising the bar for all of Oregon's sports.  It looks like they've finished in the top 10 the last 2 years in the Director's Cup (used to be known as the Sears Director's Cup) for overall athletic excellence which is good given that Nebraska tries to be pretty strong across the board in all their sports.  He also deserves a tip of the cap for running one of the few athletic departments in the NCAA that is self sufficient.  Has hired Helfrich and Taggert for CFB.

Long has been discussed a fair bit already.  Good track record on hiring with both Petrino and big Bert, both were lauded quite a bit at the time.  Petrino lead Arkansas to big time success, he just happened to be a scumbag too.  Props to Long though in that he moved on swiftly from Petrino once news broke.

Honestly, I'd be pretty happy if Nebraska hired any of the 3 mentioned.

I should have specified that I understood the Mullens credentials and was curious on the other two. 

So Long's claim to fame is he hired a great coach with terrible character, who ended up needing terminated due to terrible character? The he hired a guy that was lauded at the time but has turned out to be what most would consider average?

Still don't see it, but I am sure an AD is hard to judge. 

15 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I should have specified that I understood the Mullens credentials and was curious on the other two. 

So Long's claim to fame is he hired a great coach with terrible character, who ended up needing terminated due to terrible character? The he hired a guy that was lauded at the time but has turned out to be what most would consider average?

Still don't see it, but I am sure an AD is hard to judge. 

It's not quite as cut and dried as that.  Long also hired Mike Anderson to coach MBB and that's worked out pretty well.

Long does seem to be pretty well respected amongst his peers.  We're all aware of his involvement with the CFP committee.  He was also named AD of the year in 2015.  One thing that I do like about Long is he's worked under some larger than life football coaches and at some big time programs.  He got hired by Bo Schembechler when Bo was the AD at Michigan and stayed there for 10 years.  He replaced Frank Broyles (Arkansas version of TO) when Broyles retired from the AD spot and has been there for almost 10 years.  He was also at Oklahoma in the early 2000s for a couple years and oversaw the football and MBB programs.  Long's also worked in 5 of the 6 major conferences which is pretty impressive.  

I didn't intend for this to be such a pro Jeff Long post but the more I look at his background, the more you can't help but be impressed.

I'll let someone else tackle Pollard.

Edited by Xmas32
  • Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

It's not quite as cut and dried as that.  Long also hired Mike Anderson to coach MBB and that's worked out pretty well.

Long does seem to be pretty well respected amongst his peers.  We're all aware of his involvement with the CFP committee.  He was also named AD of the year in 2015.  One thing that I do like about Long is he's worked under some larger than life football coaches and at some big time programs.  He got hired by Bo Schembechler when Bo was the AD at Michigan and stayed there for 10 years.  He replaced Frank Broyles (Arkansas version of TO) when Broyles retired from the AD spot and has been there for almost 10 years.  He was also at Oklahoma in the early 2000s for a couple years and oversaw the football and MBB programs.  Long's also worked in 5 of the 6 major conferences which is pretty impressive.  

I didn't intend for this to be such a pro Jeff Long post but the more I look at his background, the more you can't help but be impressed.

I'll let someone else tackle Pollard.

Appreciate the information, do like the program association part. 

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

If Mullen comes from Ore, it has to have this one contractual T&C:  "NU uniforms will remain the traditional  Red and White with only the N on the side of the helmet."  

Thats more of a Nike thing than a Duck thing.  

Writing on the wall might suggest that Mullens would be here, familiar face, for Scott Frost.  He might have some interesting logic.  Hell, might become a Nike school.