Conversation At A Dinner Table

Fictional late-night conversation at a dinner table...

Woman: “Well, do we start packing?”

Man: “Not yet. Probably not for a while. We still got a job. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to start calling around, though.”

Woman: “You look down.”

Man: “Yeah, I really wanted this to work. I really respect this place. This was my chance to show what I could do on the big stage. You know how long we’ve at this. It’s just so frustrating...”

Woman: “So why do you think they hired you?”

Man: “Don’t you remember? What they don’t like now. My personality. I’m too EASY, too be back. I got hired because I’m the opposite of that other guy. That’s what sealed this.”

Woman: “So nice guys can’t be successful?”

Man: “You really want to ask me that?"

Man: “Sorry. I’m just tired.”

Woman: “So what are you going to say when we get that call?”

Man: “What CAN you say.”

Man: “Look, maybe it’s time for something else. We thought this was going to work but I guess not. I wanted this to work. Dunno if I want to keep doing this. Not fair to you. Gotta think it over.”

Man: “And I’m going to tell them I’m sorry. I know how long these guys have waited. I love these fans and I hate how this all has gone. That’s what hurts the most.”

Woman: “You think they’ll ever know that?”

Man: “Some. Most just so tired of losing they don’t want to hear about anything.”

Man: “You have to remembering something. This is a small state, sorta like where we were. We were always the Little Brother. God I got so sick of hearing that. Most of the country doesn’t pay any attention places like Nebraska. The State school is everything to these people. It’s like it used to be in the old days in a lot of places. The pros were nothing back then. These people all got so much pride from their team. When you let them down in a place like this it really hurts.”

Woman: “So what do you think they’ll do?”

Man: “They’re gonna hire something big. Maybe somebody no one is even thinking about. They HAVE to. These people have just about had it.”

Man: “Thing is, times have changed. So many big teams now. So much money and media. So much competition. I think they want it to be just like it used to be but it can’t.”

Man: “They’re gonna get real good again. But it just can’t be like it was. They need to give the new guy a chance. But they need to know the road’s a lot tougher than it used to be.”

Man: “But I really did enjoy this place.”

Woman: “Me too.”

Woman: “Where’re you headed?”

Man: “The office.”

Woman: “NOW?”

Man: “Got a game to get ready for.”

• Plus1 2

33 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Fictional late-night conversation at a dinner table...

Woman: “Well, do we start packing?”

Man: “Not yet. Probably not for a while. We still got a job. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to start calling around, though.”

Woman: “You look down.”

Man: “Yeah, I really wanted this to work. I really respect this place. This was my chance to show what I could do on the big stage. You know how long we’ve at this. It’s just so frustrating...”

Woman: “So why do you think they hired you?”

Man: “Don’t you remember? What they don’t like now. My personality. I’m too EASY, too be back. I got hired because I’m the opposite of that other guy. That’s what sealed this.”

Woman: “So nice guys can’t be successful?”

Man: “You really want to ask me that?"

Man: “Sorry. I’m just tired.”

Woman: “So what are you going to say when we get that call?”

Man: “What CAN you say.”

Man: “Look, maybe it’s time for something else. We thought this was going to work but I guess not. I wanted this to work. Dunno if I want to keep doing this. Not fair to you. Gotta think it over.”

Man: “And I’m going to tell them I’m sorry. I know how long these guys have waited. I love these fans and I hate how this all has gone. That’s what hurts the most.”

Woman: “You think they’ll ever know that?”

Man: “Some. Most just so tired of losing they don’t want to hear about anything.”

Man: “You have to remembering something. This is a small state, sorta like where we were. We were always the Little Brother. God I got so sick of hearing that. Most of the country doesn’t pay any attention places like Nebraska. The State school is everything to these people. It’s like it used to be in the old days in a lot of places. The pros were nothing back then. These people all got so much pride from their team. When you let them down in a place like this it really hurts.”

Woman: “So what do you think they’ll do?”

Man: “They’re gonna hire something big. Maybe somebody no one is even thinking about. They HAVE to. These people have just about had it.”

Man: “Thing is, times have changed. So many big teams now. So much money and media. So much competition. I think they want it to be just like it used to be but it can’t.”

Man: “They’re gonna get real good again. But it just can’t be like it was. They need to give the new guy a chance. But they need to know the road’s a lot tougher than it used to be.”

Man: “But I really did enjoy this place.”

Woman: “Me too.”

Woman: “Where’re you headed?”

Man: “The office.”

Woman: “NOW?”

Man: “Got a game to get ready for.”

Entirely plausible. Just to be clear, which NU coach from the last couple of decades does this refer to?