Atmosphere In Lincoln This Weekend

teachercd

I would expect the atmosphere for the game to be summed up in one word:   somber.   I doubt there will be many decibel levels above normal conversation voice level, unless early on the game goes south and the booing begins.  It may not be a funeral but it sure could be a wake.  

There will not be anything 'normal' about Husker football the rest of this season.  But, then again, as one thinks about it, there hasn't been all that much 'normal' about Husker football in a couple decades.   But therein lies the problem - this is the new normal and Husker football just aint what it used to be.   Sad days, sad months, sad years!  

I think the sell out streak has a chance to continue another year or so, although I would expect more and more empty seats.  And, as the season goes on and even into next year perhaps, some fans will come just to see what's changed.  The next Great Red Hope of a head coach will no doubt spawn lots of excitement and the kool aid will be flowing and by the time of the first spring game, fans will be expecting a national championship run because all we need to do is coach em up a little bit as we've got the best players in the system already.  And many will convince themselves that a couple extra 4 star recruits will fix all the problems.   

1 hour ago, FlipPhone said:

Sad state of affairs.  How long before it looks like a Miami home game?

South Florida is full of fair weather fans.  Even the king of sports teams around here, the Dolphins, does not fill the stadium.  But I don't blame the fans, having 88+ degree heat during the day throughout the fall.  Which was why the Dolphins were good at home as they practiced outdoors and could handle the heat throughout the game, until Saban came to be HC and moved practice indoors.  He's hated around these parts.

Sitting in Oklahoma all these days, i ALWAYS look forward to the atmosphere in Lincoln. Its great to be here around the "OKLAHOMA CORNHUSKER CLUB" people and our gatherings here in Oklahoma...greatest group of Cornhusker fans anywhere. But Lincoln and Memorial Stadium  just cant be beat. I walk the stadium aisles shaking hands and giving hugs. Love it the most. You just dont know what it is like being around Nebraskans when you are away from "home" and go back to visit. I DONT see us ever being like Miami. Nebraska fans are true fans, good or bad season. We love our Huskers. Yes i want us at the top of the Top Tier and believe, again, we will get there. Went to Eugene, OR and my son and i were one of the "Red Loons". Husker fans filled 1/3 of that stadium. The people in Oregan had never seen a turn out like we brought to Eugene. They were shocked and hoped someday they could have a fan base like ours....yes,  atmosphere in Lincoln is the Greatest on ANY Husker weekend.

I completely blew this one. I forgot to mention that a bunch of tailgaters would fill the parking lots before the game and suck down a bunch of beers and dogs.

Other than that ,everything was accurate. The fans in the stadium were actually louder than expected, like they were longing for the days when they made noise. I'm not even sure if they were prompted....like at the basketball games where the announcer comes on and shouts "LET'S GET LOUD, GRANDPA!!!"