Barfknecht Nails it to Eichorst

1. Highest paid AD in the country? I had no idea.

2. Firing Yori was absurd and completely unjustified. She should be hired back.

3. Ten high paid associate AD gives me a new perspective on NOT paying football and basketball players. 

4. Barfy knows his stuff. If it wasn't for the Big Red and the sports writers at the OWH, readership would be cut in half. 

Online subsc is 25c/day. Yet I hear $100k pro's bitch about story limits&pop-up/video ads. It's an info business folks, not a charity. #sigh
8 hours ago, zoogs said:

I find this move disappointing, reflexive, and odd. SE represented Nebraska with dignity and class. Hope the next guy does the same; this act isn't evidence to me that those are priorities or even on the radar of the decision-makers. We'll see!

You shouldn't.  SE was a pain in the ass behind his huge closed-locked door.

The highest paid remark is a bit disingenuous since almost half of it is coming from a one time bonus.  Plus, SE isn't even the highest paid AD of the bunch.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/all/director

Now, this link doesn't include any deferred compensation as well.  I'm certainly nitpicking here, but I also found this in 5 seconds of research.  Now, I will grant that Williams does a lot more for Vandy then just AD work, he's a fully tenured professor of law, Vice Chancellor and a couple other things.

The great thing is, we as Nebraska fans have occasionally expressed displeasure at not opening up the checkbook for elite talent.  SE's pay package shows that Nebraska is very competitive when it comes to AD pay.  This is a very, very desirable destination and frankly, a great opportunity.  Nebraska's athletics outside of a few sports have been in a downward trend for a while now and if you're the AD that brings NU's athletics (specifically football let's not kid ourselves) back to prominence...that's legacy cementing stuff.  Also, as a general rule, you never want to be the guy that replaces 'the' guy (SE replaced TO) you always want to be the guy after the guy.  Here's hoping NU is thinking much bigger than just rubber stamping the obvious choice.

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

The highest paid remark is a bit disingenuous since almost half of it is coming from a one time bonus.  Plus, SE isn't even the highest paid AD of the bunch.

So you mean to tell me that these click baiters stories aren't 100% true?  I am shocked that the OWH would do such a thing.<_<

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, returnnutoglory95 said:

This is a MUST READ.  Lee says it exactly like it is. (always has) 
This is the most spot on column that has been written today about Eichorst and basically how he treated everyone.  

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/barfknecht-silent-shawn-eichorst-caused-friction-was-square-peg-for/article_e7fb6440-9f35-11e7-a76c-8b638c7b6f39.html

Stop peddling your BS here, Lee. 

23 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Wait, wait, wait - you're telling me that Lee had an agenda seemingly based on personal gripes, skewed his data to make his point seem more well-founded, then didn't bother to offer a caveat to his claim?  Well....

98Pb1FE.jpg

• Plus1 5

Why do I need to read this stuff?  This is all in the past and now he's gone.  Be reading a bunch of articles about how horrible the guy was doesn't change anything or make the future better.

I'd much rather read well researched articles about how the department and sports programs are going to be improved and who possibly the next AD is going to be.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why do I need to read this stuff?  This is all in the past and now he's gone.  Be reading a bunch of articles about how horrible the guy was doesn't change anything or make the future better.

I'd much rather read well researched articles about how the department and sports programs are going to be improved and who possibly the next AD is going to be.

Don't expect to find that at the OWH. 

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

You can be the nicest, most honorable guy in the world but how can you expect to keep your job if you don't produce results?

I expect the season not to be mailed in by the administration after three games. Let's say Riley does win 8 this regular season eventually and the team rebounds from the early season struggles. Shouldn't he typically get a fourth season then? If it's about results, you evaluate later in the year.

This isn't about results. This is about culture. Nebraska has had enough of the SE way, the Riley smiles and Billy Devaney and all of that. Burn it all down because there's going to be a different way of doing things.

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why do I need to read this stuff? 

You don't because 95% of what he's saying can be found on message boards. 

Lee is, to me, a great example of why newspapers are dying. They're convinced they are the only source for information and they expect you to kiss their ass to get it.  Lee, in particular, is a petulant child when it comes to being a member of the Husker community.

And yet we're supposed to look up to him and respect him.  Nah. I respect people like you, Mav, and the 50 other regular contributors on this board who provide solid information and are willing to be here debating the merits of their words.  Lee hides behind his cloak of superiority and I have no respect for that.

I also respect, highly, folks like Aaron Babcock & Brandon Vogel and the rest of the Hail Varsity staff, local radio guys (minus Severe), and most of the local bloggers, for the same reasons as above.  Hail Varsity has a forum where the writers will talk to you about the merits & shortcomings of their stories, they write with respect to the program & fans, and they have AMAZING photography. 

And no, I'm not a HV subscription seller.  But you should buy a subscription because it's the best Husker publication out there. :D

• Plus1 4
16 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I expect the season not to be mailed in by the administration after three games. Let's say Riley does win 8 this regular season eventually and the team rebounds from the early season struggles. Shouldn't he typically get a fourth season then? If it's about results, you evaluate later in the year.

This isn't about results. This is about culture. Nebraska has had enough of the SE way, the Riley smiles and Billy Devaney and all of that. Burn it all down because there's going to be a different way of doing things.

I think you are looking at it wrong.  Don't look at the last game as the end of the season for AD's and Administration...It isn't, there is no "last game" for them.  This is not about Riley being evaluated right now, it is about SE.  He doesn't have "a season" that begins and ends.  

It wasn't mailed in...if anything it was just the opposite.