Barfknecht Nails it to Eichorst

OK...I didn't read the article and I'm not going to.  But, here is as good of place as any to ask this question since it's all about Eichorst and how he treated people.

There are lots of ex Bo players on Twitter going off about how happy they are he got fired because of how he treated them when he fired Bo.

I always wondered what the big stink about that was.  Well....one of them commented on twitter that it was horrible that he called a team meeting to tell them he had just fired their coach.

My response was...WTF do you expect him to do?  

So.....whomever is going to fire Riley (if he's fired), how is he supposed to announce it to the team so that they don't get their feelings hurt?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...I didn't read the article and I'm not going to.  But, here is as good of place as any to ask this question since it's all about Eichorst and how he treated people.

There are lots of ex Bo players on Twitter going off about how happy they are he got fired because of how he treated them when he fired Bo.

I always wondered what the big stink about that was.  Well....one of them commented on twitter that it was horrible that he called a team meeting to tell them he had just fired their coach.

My response was...WTF do you expect him to do?  

So.....whomever is going to fire Riley (if he's fired), how is he supposed to announce it to the team so that they don't get their feelings hurt?

Eichorst was hired to fire Bo.  Players like Bo.  Not exactly surprising that they don't like Eichorst.

I don't think that was exactly what TA was saying in the tweet.  He was saying he thought they should have been notified before the meeting what the meeting was about.  Not that I agree with him on that but it's different from what you're saying.

13 hours ago, returnnutoglory95 said:

Hate if you want.  This is the truth. All of it couldn't be more perfect.  The Alvarez stuff, the Yori stuff, how he treated boosters, press, everyone. The books for coaches instead of meetings and interactions  But unfortunately it took the Football Program to lose for it to happen.  This should have happened months or years ago.  Actually he should never have been hired in the first place.  Read it all.  You will find the truth.

And Pedro.  Hate all you want.  Lee has been telling the truth for years.  he hasn't held back like many of the other writers.  he isn't afraid to tell it like it is.  READ IT.

And you and everyone else knows Osborne tried to clean up Harvey's messes.  And then Harvey took Osborne out of the hiring process for Eichorst.  Harvey's biggest mistake of his career was hiring Eichorst.  There is no question about it.

Read Chatelain's column today about Harvey:  Also Spot On.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/chatelain-hiring-shawn-eichorst-goes-down-as-one-of-harvey/article_9b883d96-9f16-11e7-a765-874dcca0d532.html

Lee, is that you???

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eichorst was hired to fire Bo.  Players like Bo.  Not exactly surprising that they don't like Eichorst.

I don't think that was exactly what TA was saying in the tweet.  He was saying he thought they should have been notified before the meeting what the meeting was about.  Not that I agree with him on that but it's different from what you're saying.

How is that different from what I'm saying?  They expected to be notified before the meeting that the meeting was to tell them their coach was fired?  How would TA expect that to happen?  Would he have preferred Eichorst send out a text...."Hey....just fired Bo.  Come to a meeting to talk about it".

That would have gone over like a fart in church.

2 hours ago, Toe said:

It's more like the Internet is an echo chamber. There's many sources, and what gets posted by one news source gets repeated a thousand times elsewhere. If one source went silent, you wouldn't notice it much. But if *all* of them went silent... we'd have a big problem.

The internet is literally the repository of all opinions, of all flavors, of all information.  If it exists, you'll find it here.  It is the exact opposite of an echo chamber.  As with anything, a person can choose to ignore every other opinion but their own, but the fact that we have dozens of new threads with dozens of pages containing hundreds of disparate opinions on this one message board (one of more than a dozen Husker message boards), not including other social media, kind of dispels the idea that we're all here existing in an echo chamber. 

Barfknecht is not the sole dissenting voice.  He is not important - or, to put it better, he is not more important for me to read about this situation than anyone at any of the dozens of newspapers, message boards, blogs, magazines, TV stations, radio stations we have out there. 

One can, at the same time, be dismissive of the tripe Barfknecht generates and still be well informed from a myriad of angles and opinions on all things Huskers. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

How is that different from what I'm saying?  They expected to be notified before the meeting that the meeting was to tell them their coach was fired?  How would TA expect that to happen?  Would he have preferred Eichorst send out a text...."Hey....just fired Bo.  Come to a meeting to talk about it".

That would have gone over like a fart in church.

I think you just answered your own question.  Yes, there is a difference between "Come to the meeting and then you'll find out what it's about" and "We're having a meeting about this."

TA thought they should have been notified ahead of time what it was about (at least that's how I read it).  I don't agree with him but he thinks he wanted something different than how it happened.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

The point is that these players need to realize, no matter how it's done, firing a HC is messy and emotional for the players.  Could have SE done it better?  I'm pretty sure he could have.  But....it sure seems like there are some hurt feelings over something that is almost impossible to do perfectly.

So you're expecting people to act rationally?

Should they look to HuskerBoard for an example?

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think you just answered your own question.  Yes, there is a difference between "Come to the meeting and then you'll find out what it's about" and "We're having a meeting about this."

TA thought they should have been notified ahead of time what it was about (at least that's how I read it).  I don't agree with him but he thinks he wanted something different than how it happened.

At least you didn't put "rationally" and "Huskerboard" in the same sentence.   :lol:

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sooooo....how would TA have liked SE to notify them of the firing......so that they could come and talk about it?

I guess I'm going back to my own experience where right out of college, I was faced with something very similar.  I understand now the emotions I was going through and how non rational some of those thoughts were.

It's a learning experience I hope these players look back and learn from instead of holding onto bad feelings.

17 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Direct example of the kind of class taught (and exemplified) by Bo; good riddance to him.

Precisely.

Many of us heard the audio from that meeting and the things he said about Eichorst. I think some of what BP said was justified, but the way he said it in conjunction with his overall personality totally explains why several former players are celebrating the firing today. Their guy got the axe and they're still miffed about it.

I get the attitude, even though I disagree with it, but I'm also on the outside looking in. Josh Mitchell was criticizing Eichorst for the fact that he brought a bodyguard in to that meeting to talk about Bo. That, to me, is making a whole lot of something out of nothing.

4 hours ago, zoogs said:

I expect the season not to be mailed in by the administration after three games. Let's say Riley does win 8 this regular season eventually and the team rebounds from the early season struggles. Shouldn't he typically get a fourth season then? If it's about results, you evaluate later in the year.

This isn't about results. This is about culture. Nebraska has had enough of the SE way, the Riley smiles and Billy Devaney and all of that. Burn it all down because there's going to be a different way of doing things.

The results are part of the culture here! We expect to have great students, great people,  and be competitive on the field. Nothing needs to be burned down, but there does need to be a change. SE basically maintained UNLs status of excellent student athletes but lackluster on field competition. Fans and Alumni are rightfully fed up with that, and so a change is being made. The only thing that needs to change is a renewed focus on winning along side student development. 

You seem awfully cynical about this firing for someone who has been around this board a long time.

Riley has already managed to do what only Biily C did in loosing to a non P5 school, odds are the season isn't going to end well.

16 hours ago, alwayshusking said:

I'm sure much of it is accurate but Lee's been wanting to write this article for years now.

Sports writers routinely put out stories that spin things, often just trying to create a controversy and make a story out of not much.   Barfy probably resented big time that when he called, nobody answered.   He is a former Husker writer than somewhere along the way lost his ability to please readers enough to keep his position.

I am not so sure that we want our Athletic Director being the public face and spokesman for all the various sports, their coaches, etc.  The AD is an administrator position and his role is not to micromanage the coaching and the staffs of the 20 some odd sports programs,  That is the head coach's role along with his or her aides, staffs, assistants, etc.  I think we've seen the staffing at UNL athletics mushroom out of control like so many other governmental and quasi-governmental institutions.  

Eichhorst may have been a little too 'invisible' but I think the head coaches and their principal assistants should be front and center.

We don't need any more segregation and continued growth in the administrative and non-coaching personnel of the departments.  We need more accountability and public interaction with fans and media by the head coaches and their coordinators.  Beyond that, I think limiting the media and other communications is important.  I think the great disappointment of so many fans in this seasons start has been due to the fact that we've had so much propaganda and so on that has presented a false narative of where the football team is and program is headed.

These first three games have been rather shocking to me as I really expected much better this fall.  I think we need more real honest truth and frank information coming out rather than public spin and hype.  To be fair, I don't think Riley ever promised this team would win em all or even take the football world by storm.  

That blame falls on the media mostly as they are the ones writing the teaser stories of Tanner Lee being the 'best college QB" out there and NFL scouts drooling over the chance to draft him early come March.  

I really tire of the sports writers taking pot shots immediately after something like this, as though they have been saying this for years.  I don't recall much if any criticism of Shawn E being so hard to reach, talk to or whatever before,  Some were critical when Bo was fired but we know Bo hated Sean and would not have wanted to have meetings with him anyway.  Bo should have been happy to not have to deal with the p------sy as he called him.  

I am very concerned that this decision to fire was extremely impulsive and reactionary.  Obviously, Green gave him a contract extension recently for apparently doing all things right.  it seems that because we lost one game (NIU), the A.D. was fired.  This clearly says we're firing the football coaches, etc shortly.  If Green is doing the hiring, it is clearly not any worry that Sean would make a bad hire as his recommendation is apparently his only involvement.  What does an million dollars a year buy if not the hiring and firing and other administrative functions of the department?