will riley be fired before wisky game if he drops 1 to Rut or illinois?

huskerfan69

2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Well if it isn't a splash hire that everyone is looking for then what's the point because if you lose the top recruits we have they need to be replaced with other top recruits or you are looking at another year at least we won't be very good 

Recruits don't matter if you can't win with them.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

To hire somebody as soon as possible so that they can recruit before players have made their decisions for one.  

I was assuming that the searches for new ADs or coaches would start before they are officially fired in a behind the scenes kind of way.  I didn't think new coaches were announced until after the regular season ends.  I guess if the searches don't start until officially fired then this all makes sense.  I figured they had already talked with AD candidates.

My biggest questions is when a new AD comes in and IF he doesn't really have enough time to review everything for the football program does he keep Riley around, but tell Riley his OC and Offensive Line Coach is gone and next year he'll be reviewed at the end of it? I don't think it'll happen, but I suppose it could. 

Am I alone in thinking Rutgers might be better than Illinois, though?  I understand that wasn't the case last season but, so far in this one, Rutgers has posted better stats in every category I've looked at and neither has played a remotely difficult schedule (though Illinois gets the nod for not having played a lower division team).

Teamrankings.com ranks the B1G schedules to date in the following order, from toughest to softest:

1 Ohio State

2 Indiana

3 Maryland

4 Michigan

5 Purdue

Nebraska

7 Northwestern

8 Illinois

9 Iowa

10 Wisconsin

11 Rutgers

12 Penn State

13 Michigan State

14 Minnesota

19 minutes ago, beorach said:

Am I alone in thinking Rutgers might be better than Illinois, though?  I understand that wasn't the case last season but, so far in this one, Rutgers has posted better stats in every category I've looked at and neither has played a remotely difficult schedule (though Illinois gets the nod for not having played a lower division team).

Teamrankings.com ranks the B1G schedules to date in the following order, from toughest to softest:

1 Ohio State

2 Indiana

3 Maryland

4 Michigan

5 Purdue

Nebraska

7 Northwestern

8 Illinois

9 Iowa

10 Wisconsin

11 Rutgers

12 Penn State

13 Michigan State

14 Minnesota

Have you watched Rutgers? It will give you a better context for their stats.

1 minute ago, beorach said:

My understanding is they've shot themselves in the foot, a la a certain team we hold dear.  I follow a number of teams but Rutgers isn't one of them.

The problem with football stats is we don't quantify much, at least in terms of public data, and a lot of what we do quantify isn't done accurately (tackles most famously). Most people would agree that offensive line play is very important, yet it isn't directly measured in the box score. A lot of advanced metric sites get around this by inventing new stats, but that requires watching a lot of tape. So, the only way we can is by watching, too, hence my comment. (Though, even in a perfect environment, I'm a fan of combining analytics with traditional scouting, they really serve two purposes.)

When you watch Rutgers, you immediately see why looking at their stats gives a false impression. They just aren't very talented at all. That's hard to tell in the box score playing Eastern Michigan and Morgan State. Even against Washington, I'd say that result is more in Washington's favor if played in week 3 vs week 1. They just took a bit to get going in that game.