** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

Scott Frost was in line at the grocery store behind a mother and her son. The son guessed the total price exactly before it was totaled. The mother apologized for the kid being so annoying. Scott Frost said to the kid, “don’t listen to her, keep studying and you’ll do great things.”  That boy grew up to be Steve Jobs. 

• Plus1 4

9 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Coach Frost is scout team QB running the option in practice this week. They play Navy this Saturday at 2:30 pm CT. 

Reminds me of my QB coach freshman year of high school. During a Thursday game prep he took over as scout team QB and ran a QB draw. People tagged him on his way to the end zone. After scoring he went fully ballistic on our defense for not tackling him. Pretty awesome haha 

17 hours ago, brophog said:

Last we talked about UCF playing smash mouth with 100 OL and a DT as the fullback.

This week we have the PA PASS to the DT.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jRm0tgDmW44

The point I'd like to make isn't about using a DT as a makeshift FB, the use of complementary action plays from week to week, or the myriad of ways UCF finds to score easily. It's about the importance of having fun, and what's more fun than fat guys scoring TDs.

They didn't get flagged for Too Many Men on the Field, did they? 

And Frost, a successful option quarterback for the Nebraska Huskies in the mid to late 1990s, has traded in his coaches cap for a chin strapless helmet this week to give the defense a true look at what they will see when they come up against Navy quarterback Zach Abey.

”It’s kind of exciting to see him running around,” UCF senior outside linebacker Shaquem Griffin said after Monday morning’s practice. ”You’re not going to get a better look than having Coach Frost in there. He knows what we will see from Navy. He wanted to make sure when it comes time to play an option team, it wasn’t a surprise to us. We didn’t understand then. [We were asking,] ‘Why are we doing this now?’ But going through the first day of practice on Monday, everybody was flying around and it shows what we did in the spring and summer is paying off. I feel like we’re a step ahead and not behind. It’s not like we’re learning something new."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/frost-preparing-20th-ranked-ucf-for-navy-s-triple-option-101617

(Huskies? HUSKIES?!)

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 1

I really do not think you are going to see kids playing 6 years on the Oline.  Just is not going to happen again like it did.   

Kids today are not interested in building a power, they want to play instantly and go to the NFL as soon as possible.

It really has always been hard to recruit to Nebraska.  Coach Osborne had some National ranked classes, but they got higher as Nebraska gained notoriety it seemed.

WE  are the only ones that care about rebuilding a dynasty.   The kids of today are all about show me the money.  How quickly can I play, how quickly can I get to the NFL, not what I can do for you, but what are you going to do for me.  Way of the world.  Just read the posts on these threads.  My guess most on this site are around 30 to 35, millennials, and almost every one answer the quest by give more money, no matter what it costs.  The younger generation is or may even be more geared to self fulfillment.   

Unfortunately the kids Nebraska really need are the kids that are not team members.  They participate in individual sports, such as boxing, amature wrestling, motocross, UFC type of stuff.  Those are the fighters, but normally do not have the size to play the game.  

During the Osborne days you saw kids redshirt and play all 6 years.  Leaving early was not normal, you were quitting on your team.  They don't feel that way anymore it seems to me 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, skersfan said:

I really do not think you are going to see kids playing 6 years on the Oline.  Just is not going to happen again like it did.   

Kids today are not interested in building a power, they want to play instantly and go to the NFL as soon as possible.

It really has always been hard to recruit to Nebraska.  Coach Osborne had some National ranked classes, but they got higher as Nebraska gained notoriety it seemed.

WE  are the only ones that care about rebuilding a dynasty.   The kids of today are all about show me the money.  How quickly can I play, how quickly can I get to the NFL, not what I can do for you, but what are you going to do for me.  Way of the world.  Just read the posts on these threads.  My guess most on this site are around 30 to 35, millennials, and almost every one answer the quest by give more money, no matter what it costs.  The younger generation is or may even be more geared to self fulfillment.   

Unfortunately the kids Nebraska really need are the kids that are not team members.  They participate in individual sports, such as boxing, amature wrestling, motocross, UFC type of stuff.  Those are the fighters, but normally do not have the size to play the game.  

During the Osborne days you saw kids redshirt and play all 6 years.  Leaving early was not normal, you were quitting on your team.  They don't feel that way anymore it seems to me 

You do know that a player only gets 4 years to play, right? Possibly 5 if they sit out a season. Never 6. And this happens at every school now, not just Nebraska. Its why development is so important. You will have your stars (very small portion of the team) possibly leave early. Their backups need to be ready to step in and fill that role. We get it, its hard to build a program. Youve let us know in many threads that it took 23 years for Osborne to win a MNC. Doesnt mean we should give up trying to be competitive again. Unless you enjoy losing back to back years 62-3 and 56-14 to the same team.

Edited by Rike Miley
  • Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

You do know that a player only gets 4 years to play, right? Possibly 5 if they sit out a season. Never 6. And this happens at every school now

A big deal was made of Jaimes starting as a true frosh because 20-25 years ago no offensive lineman at any school started at that age. Strength and conditioning has gotten so much better across the board, not just at the D1 level, but at the high school level. Offenses are more advanced at that level, mechanics are better. Kids coming in are simply much more ready to play all around now.  If you don't have to redshirt them, why do it? There are benefits of experience and training at this level, but if you treat it like its the 90s and just automatically redshirt everyone then you're really missing out on talent that can infuse your program.

• Plus1 1

This week's pregame press conference

I started this thread with one of these because they give an insight on Frost, but I keep posting these because of how impressed I am in Frost's understanding of football. This week has some good snippets about Stanford/Nebraska, how all defensive football is "assignment football", and how score and time of possession interrelate (a topic I've commented on here many times over the years). I find these well worth watching.

On 10/14/2017 at 1:26 PM, BIGREDIOWAN said:

These Quotes give me some hope Frost would like to try this at NU.  Come here Scott and make it happen.

. . “The big thing is this: It helps greatly when an offense has a definite mentality to it. It helps greatly when you have a defined personality and set of standards. When I was at Nebraska, our calling card was we were a tough, physical team. Everybody knew it. We knew it. We were proud of it. We embodied it. We embraced it. We loved the fact that we were going to try to completely beat up a defense. Nobody wanted to play us because of the physical nature of our team.

. . “I’ve actually been going to work trying to restudy what we used to do at Nebraska. . . . [W]hat we ran at Nebraska in a lot of ways is very similar to what Oregon runs right now — we’re just out of the shotgun versus under center. But a lot of the concepts of the option game are the same. . . . I would love to see somebody go back to doing what Nebraska used to do. Maybe the Huskers are going to do that this year. Personally, I’d love to someday mix a lot of the concepts that Oregon runs with some of the aspects Nebraska used to run. . . . The one thing I wish we could do at Oregon is be a little more physical. I don’t think that’s a secret. I think everybody on our staff wishes we could be a little more physical on offense. That’s what Nebraska’s calling card was. If we could play fast and physical, I don’t think there’s anybody in the country who could stop us.”

The great thing about Frost is he has a smart, open mind. When you've played under multiple coaches that one could argue as the greatest ever and you've seen so many different styles and you combine all of theses things you can create something special. 

Anybody that says, "oh he does this today, he can't do that at Nebraska"...that's somebody that is probably best ignored. Frost has been exposed to so much, it's no wonder so many different concepts from these different systems can be seen in what they do. But someone can't see that if they stick to generic labels and preconceived ideas. Thankfully he doesn't, and that's a big reason I think he's going to separate himself from others, and I hope he does that here.

• Plus1 1

Did some one say Frost's spread offense wouldnt work here?? Does Ohio St not run a Spread? DId OU not beat Ohio with a spread? Granted they have better talent right now but the spread offense can work any where with talent.

We win a B1G running the spread T Mart wasnt hurt and had just a little bit more passing accuracy.

Spread can work.

• Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic