How does the uncertainty surrounding Riley affect recruiting?

Red_Payne

Will recruits really want to commit to NU, with all the uncertainty surrounding the program?

Will recruits recruits even seriously consider NU as a viable option until a long-term decision is made at AD and HC?

I really don't like the idea of firing Riley mid-season (unless he loses the next two games), but I think recruiting may take a hit; as many recruits may believe (as most of us do) that MR's day are pretty much numbered in Lincoln. I would believe it would be tough to commit to a program in which I don't know who the HC is going to be.

Maybe NU has a HUGE name splash hire in mind that would (hopefully) bolster the recruiting class late. (That's what I'm hoping for).

Thoughts?

Recruiting will almost certainly take a hit. But if things keep going the way they are going, most of the high-profile guys would leave anyways. I don't have any inside info, but I doubt Bookie, Josh Moore, Micah Parsons or any highly-ranked guys are going to a school that's 5-7 in year three of a head coach.

As important as recruiting is, finding the right guy at head coach is more important. It sucks if a good recruiting class has to be sacrificed, but delaying the inevitable for one class will have worse long-term effects. 

• Plus1 7

One thought I have is this needs to be in the Football recruiting forum and merged with the poor performance in recruiting potentially. Not a knock on you, but this really needs to be in the recruiting forum. 

Anyway, Josh moore came her cause of coach dub, who might be retained.

Donte williams needs to be retained even if its Safties coach/recruiting coordinator dude has "it" in getting recruits. 

If KDUb leaves and Donte leaves a bunch of studs will leave with them. Diaco could be retained but he isn't on any one guy right now. 

Bookie is most likely gone if Riley is fired and KJJ might not come back as well.

Scott will not fix recruiting if he comes here, expect the 2018 class to be in the upper 20s to mid 20s at best. It will take him some time to get his guys to come here. Gebbia starts day one if Frost is hired as the head coach, lee would not be good enough to run what he wants. Or we could get a proven coach who could tell guys that he could get them to the league and he can/will develop them well.

Our class is small for 2018.  IIRC 10 commits, so that messes with the current rank.  To date, Riley hasn't pulled "top" classes like we think.  2017 was 247 composite 23....2016 was 24th....2015 was 30th......Using 247 for Bo (2011-14) he was 17, 27, 21 and 33.........

The telling thing is we are tops in the West with recruiting, but that's not translating onto the field.... Per the "stars" we have talent.  With the staff?  Not so much development or results to go with the star power...

The 2018 recruit class seems to be waffling to a degree.  Coaching decisions, W-L, kids being kids etc....

If I'm a current recruit, the uncertainty would give me pause.  Of course I'd also look at the roster management, development of guys in my position, coaching decisions (on and off he field) as well as how my position is being utilized i.e. does it fit my skill set, are younger guys gettting meaningful snaps etc.....IMHO, we are lacking in some of these areas.  

We will take a hit with the "known" commits, but a new staff might with some cache might keep some if not most and might even be able to bring in more.

The reality is year 3 our coaching hasn't caught up with the talent....

6 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Yeah we can't fire the. Coach guys the class might end up being outside the top 25. Heck they might even end up undersigning and not even get enough guys to replace the seniors that are leaving.

Wait, that happens all the time anyway. If he looses to rutgers fire him.

Oh, did someone say that in this thread? Seems to me the OP said the opposite.

3 hours ago, unlfan said:

Recruiting will take a hit. But, you don't make these macro level decisions based on 1 recruiting class. I can guarantee it wasn't even a factor that was considered. This is much bigger than that.

I'm with you 100% on this.  The administrators can't keep poor coaches and AD's around based on how it will impact 1 recruiting class.  I don't even know where Riley has greatly improved the recruiting, other than a couple of skill positions.  Even with "better players" recruited, he's either not playing them or they aren't playing well, which again falls on the coaching staff.

I would count on the next coach being able to better develop, teach, and inspire the kids to play better on Saturdays, because that's not happening right now under Riley.

9 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

One thought I have is this needs to be in the Football recruiting forum and merged with the poor performance in recruiting potentially. Not a knock on you, but this really needs to be in the recruiting forum. 

Anyway, Josh moore came her cause of coach dub, who might be retained.

Donte williams needs to be retained even if its Safties coach/recruiting coordinator dude has "it" in getting recruits. 

If KDUb leaves and Donte leaves a bunch of studs will leave with them. Diaco could be retained but he isn't on any one guy right now. 

Bookie is most likely gone if Riley is fired and KJJ might not come back as well.

Scott will not fix recruiting if he comes here, expect the 2018 class to be in the upper 20s to mid 20s at best. It will take him some time to get his guys to come here. Gebbia starts day one if Frost is hired as the head coach, lee would not be good enough to run what he wants. Or we could get a proven coach who could tell guys that he could get them to the league and he can/will develop them well.

Do you think he stays?  While the recruiting suffers, the attrition could be large as well.

7 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Do you think he stays?  While the recruiting suffers, the attrition could be large as well.

If he knows he will most likely start in the offense the coach wants to run, yes he stays. While Gebbia isn't fast he can still run pretty well and the qb at UCF this year has only rushed for four yards, most likely on scrambles to get away form pressure. Last year the UCF qb rushed for 158 yards during the season, Gebbia could get close to that with far fewer attempts off of scrambles or designed qb draws.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm with you 100% on this.  The administrators can't keep poor coaches and AD's around based on how it will impact 1 recruiting class.  I don't even know where Riley has greatly improved the recruiting, other than a couple of skill positions.  Even with "better players" recruited, he's either not playing them or they aren't playing well, which again falls on the coaching staff.

I would count on the next coach being able to better develop, teach, and inspire the kids to play better on Saturdays, because that's not happening right now under Riley.

It would be a lot more than "just one" recruiting class that would be disrupted.  2015 was a makeshift class.  If a coaching change was made this season that would be two makeshift classes in 4 years.  MR recruited guys to fit his system in 16 and 17', no guarantee they'd fit a new coaches system nearly as well so really you're looking at 3 to 4 classes.

One only need look at Iowa to see the importance of continuity and patience paying off.  Ferentz went 11-24 his first three seasons.  He then went 31-7 and won two conference titles in the next three years. 

Year four 11-2 (8-0) Conference title

Year five 10-3

Year six 10-2 (7-1) Conference title

Recruiting is more than just talent, it's how that talent fits the system, and it's also about building depth in that system.  Then comes the development aspect of the players in a system which happens over the 4-5 years they play in it.  Each year there is improvement, growth, and mastery.  Changing systems wipes that all away and starts us back at scratch.  You don't plant corn and expect to harvest it a week later.  Sure you can demand it ripen faster, fire the farmer for it not ripening faster, and replace him with a new farmer, but the corn isn't going to ripen any faster. 

The young guys who are playing are playing right now are bright spots:  Lamar Jackson, Tre Bryant, Tyjon Lindsey, Raridon, Farniok,  Spielman,  Ferguson, Bootle, Thomas, and the Davis boys.

Along with the redshirt freshman and this years class, we will be rewarded in the near future if we can remain patient and allow the growing process to take place.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, LaunchCode said:

It would be a lot more than "just one" recruiting class that would be disrupted.  2015 was a makeshift class.  If a coaching change was made this season that would be two makeshift classes in 4 years.  MR recruited guys to fit his system in 16 and 17', no guarantee they'd fit a new coaches system nearly as well so really you're looking at 3 to 4 classes.

One only need look at Iowa to see the importance of continuity and patience paying off.  Ferentz went 11-24 his first three seasons.  He then went 31-7 and won two conference titles in the next three years. 

Year four 11-2 (8-0) Conference title

Year five 10-3

Year six 10-2 (7-1) Conference title

Recruiting is more than just talent, it's how that talent fits the system, and it's also about building depth in that system.  Then comes the development aspect of the players in a system which happens over the 4-5 years they play in it.  Each year there is improvement, growth, and mastery.  Changing systems wipes that all away and starts us back at scratch.  You don't plant corn and expect to harvest it a week later.  Sure you can demand it ripen faster, fire the farmer for it not ripening faster, and replace him with a new farmer, but the corn isn't going to ripen any faster. 

The young guys who are playing are playing right now are bright spots:  Lamar Jackson, Tre Bryant, Tyjon Lindsey, Raridon, Farniok,  Spielman,  Ferguson, Bootle, Thomas, and the Davis boys.

Along with the redshirt freshman and this years class, we will be rewarded in the near future if we can remain patient and allow the growing process to take place.

To go along with the Ferentz example above.  Mark Dantonio's first three seasons at MSU 22-17 (13-11).

Year three 6-7

Year four 11-2 (7-1) Conference title

Year five 11-3 (7-1) Division title

Year six 7-6

Year Seven 13-1 (8-0) Conference title, Rose Bowl win